• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Except I am not the only one who has had these conversations. If someone's only exposure to OC is CJ, Kory and their sycophants parading around like clowns and throwing tantrums, then that is what they are going to base their decisions on as far as what is permitted in their place of business.

How many people base their opinions on Muslims based on what they see on television? How many people base their opinions on gays based on footage of pride events?

My my argument is based on what I have been told, ( and what others that post here)in face to face conversations, by owners and managers of businesses. Your retort is " they must be lying". That is the only thing you come up with.

Who has the weak ass argument here?

Just a difference of opinion... calm down. I just don't agree otherwise rational business owners or for that matter anyone with a brain cell or two to rub together bases their opinion of anything on a little media sensationalism. I didn't say they were lying, I said it was a convenient excuse but yeah you can call it that. You think they are all going to tell you the complete truth which is none of your business versus what they think will impact their business the least? I think if they say they do it because they were "forced", have what they think you'll buy as a good reason then guys like you will still give them money and not hold their feet to the fire for their choices. Not sure is that's a matter of convenience or just a lack of commitment but none of my business either way. Personally I don't give a crap what their "reason" is, they picked a side and they lost my business. Carry on with your crusade, I've said my piece.
    Hurley's Gold

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    But if the sign is up, whether or not the attendant/ manager has a clue, it carries the weight of law.

Bah, I wouldn't believe those well rehearsed statements at all. Its the fourth largest city in the nation, someone without a sign somewhere close by will sell you whatever it is you need to buy.

The one that I spoke to actually removed the signs. My point is, that talking with them isn't a bad idea if it's a place you've visited, especially frequently. Now if they won't remove them, then yes, there's a store right down the street that I can go to that won't restrict my right to self defense.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The one that I spoke to actually removed the signs. My point is, that talking with them isn't a bad idea if it's a place you've visited, especially frequently. Now if they won't remove them, then yes, there's a store right down the street that I can go to that won't restrict my right to self defense.

I never go inside to buy anything at gas stations so I can say that it makes zero difference to me. But if you can turn the tide by talking these dudes signs down,,,, well damn brother,,,, sell your services and start a route all throughout Houston.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I haven't had many opportunities to OC but I watch for signs.

Haven't seen any at the gas stations I frequent.

Stripes/Buc-ees, flying J, Valero Corner Store

The Flying J/shell I'm sitting at right now across from Buc-ees isn't posted.

Both theaters in Waco (Galaxy 16 and Jewel) have posted 30.06/30.07 at the beginning of the year. After a little research I found that both were recently purchased by larger chains. Galaxy bought by AMC, Jewel by another I can't recall. Both larger chains have long standing anti gun policies and it seems the signage is related to the buyout and not OC passing.

Sent from my HAL 9000

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    At each entrance to the property.

Hmmm...The Lakeline HEB gas station is just off the main driveway into the large shopping center...with four curb cuts for ingress to the self-serve pumps. No need to visit the little attendant's hut, so no need to enter a building. It would require some pretty funky signage to comply with the statutes, I reckon.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Other than conjecture, what evidence is there these signs would not being going up without groups like OCT?

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Discussion with a few business owners isn't data. Can you quantify it? That's still conjecture. That's not evidence these signs would not be going up without OC groups. And I have yet to see any specific data, mainly because it's impossible to actually list that data as it's "what if" and purely philosophical theory.

Just saying.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Discussion with a few business owners isn't data.

Of course it is. As to your next question:

Can you quantify it?

No. That would be an interesting project for someone getting a degree - a small, simple research project/survey.

That's still conjecture. That's not evidence these signs would not be going up without OC groups.

Right now, it's still anecdotal (the word you seem to be looking for). In either case, a valid conversation with a reasoned answer provides evidence. We can quibble over the power of that evidence all we want (and should, since anecdotal evidence is the weakest, but is still more than conjecture).

And I have yet to see any specific data, mainly because it's impossible to actually list that data as it's "what if" and purely philosophical theory.

No, it's not anywhere near impossible. It wouldn't be too difficult to design a valid survey of why someone posted 30.06/07 and carry it out against the database of places in texas3006.com. The difficulty would be in getting the study approved, validated, and figuring out what to do with the data, how to figure out the biases (you'd likely need to survey folks that didn't post and ask why not), etc.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Conversations are not data. They are just conversations. That business owner could just not like guns and use OCT as an easy excuse. Surveys are just surveys. No science views them as exact.

Please don't try to belittle my intelligence, and I will retain said respect. Conjecture is the word I used and I used it accurately.

It is impossible. You can not truly compare amount of signs going up without OCT vs amount of signs going up with OCT solely on the fact that OCT exists and there is no way to compare data between the two, sans time or inter-dimensional travel. Even then...

We can only speculate it was either bad, good or neutral. Past that, it's opinion.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Conversations are not data. They are just conversations. That business owner could just not like guns and use OCT as an easy excuse. Surveys are just surveys. No science views them as exact.

Okay. I can't argue with someone who's simply being unreasonable. All science starts somewhere. All science builds on what came before it. If you want to argue that you can't start anywhere except the finish, there's nothing more to be said.

Feel free to be right in your own mind. Every major university and research organization differs with you, though:

https://oqi.wisc.edu/resourcelibrary/uploads/resources/Survey_Guide.pdf

http://archive.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/1862-are-surveys-scientific.html

https://explorable.com/research-and-surveys

https://www.nbrii.com/our-process/validity/

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Okay. I can't argue with someone who's simply being unreasonable. All science starts somewhere. All science builds on what came before it. If you want to argue that you can't start anywhere except the finish, there's nothing more to be said.

Feel free to be right in your own mind. Every major university and research organization differs with you, though:

https://oqi.wisc.edu/resourcelibrary/uploads/resources/Survey_Guide.pdf

http://archive.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/1862-are-surveys-scientific.html

https://explorable.com/research-and-surveys

https://www.nbrii.com/our-process/validity/

LOL. "He differs in opinion, he's being unreasonable!"

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I think the only accurate observation here is that the business owners displaying the 06/07 signs are 100% responsible for that sign being displayed. I really don't care who or what made them display it.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I think the only accurate observation here is that the business owners displaying the 06/07 signs are 100% responsible for that sign being displayed. I really don't care who or what made them display it.
    Agreed. And why I choose to spend money elsewhere when they do.
    Ironically enough, if it wasn't for groups like OCT and Texas Carry getting the discussion rolling in the public eye, we wouldn't be discussing 30.07 signs in the first place.
    Which is a good point. Would the "movement" be as energized to pass OC without them? That could be considered as well.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    At each entrance to the property.

I obviously missed something at the last legislative session, which isn't not that hard, but premises is defined as inside buildings so for CC who gives a shit if they post the property so long as you don't enter a building. Did they change the CC law and the definition of premises??

If you absolutely have to buy gas at a station that is posted cover the damned gun, pump up and plan better next time so you don't have to donate $$ to asshats who dont support you.

We are not talking rocket science. If they have any signs don't spend cash there. If you have to due to emergency deal with it and move on and plan better next time. If owners are blindly putting signs up they will change their minds after some polite contact exposing the loss of revenue. If they don't then you know exactly where they stand and you can act accordingly.

Top Bottom