• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Okay. I can't argue with someone who's simply being unreasonable. All science starts somewhere. All science builds on what came before it. If you want to argue that you can't start anywhere except the finish, there's nothing more to be said.

Feel free to be right in your own mind. Every major university and research organization differs with you, though:

https://oqi.wisc.edu/resourcelibrary/uploads/resources/Survey_Guide.pdf

http://archive.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/1862-are-surveys-scientific.html

https://explorable.com/research-and-surveys

https://www.nbrii.com/our-process/validity/

Read your links, I believe they support Texas Yankee's position as much as your own in that valid, reliable surveys are extremely difficult to construct, apply and interpret. I say read the links, the link from "Explorable" was so poorly written as to bring it into question.

While I personally believe most surveys to be virtually useless due to the aforementioned complexity and expertise required as well as the unreliability of the survey targets (I often simply click through the center choice of surveys primarily because I don't like to be surveyed), it is possible, if appropriately constructed, to achieve somewhat of a "guess" as to the respondents position assuming no personal investment.

I simply don't believe a conversation as described to bear any relevance due to the bias and self-interest of the participants on such a topic. [Gun rights advocate versus 30.06/30.07 poster, potential customer versus business owner/associate, etc.] In this regard I question the reliability of even anecdotal "evidence", both sides have a vested interest, they are innately biased.

I perceive any instrument that purports to scientifically measure something as subjective as human opinion to be inherently inaccurate regardless of the integrity of it's construct.
    DK Firearms

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I think the only accurate observation here is that the business owners displaying the 06/07 signs are 100% responsible for that sign being displayed. I really don't care who or what made them display it.
    True however many of them (based on things stated by other members) are posting them with little knowledge of what they actually are!

Also wouldn't surprise me if antigun groups are using intimidation along with their misinformation to push their agenda!

How many people in here have had a calm, rational conversation with a business owner about their sign? Sounds like the ones who have are seeing good results! Don't just walk away from a business without discussing it with a manager or owner in person or via phone, email or letter. If said owner/manager doesnt see reason then take your money elsewhere!

Too many gun owners are, in my opinion, just walking away rather than exploiting opportunities to educate people and discuss the benefits of an armed society!

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Agreed, but to post anything or allow anyone else to post something for you, wether you understand it or not, matters very little to me.

As a business owner you are ultimately responsible for the policies your business follows.

I agree education is good but I won't be able to educate them because I won't set foot in their establishment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I agree education is good but I won't be able to educate them because I won't set foot in their establishment.

Then we have already lost!

Think about all the crap spewed on the news and by moms demand _______ groups! You and I know it's horseshit but someone who isnt as familiar with guns and the benefits they bring won't know that! They only know what the masters are showing them and if we don't intervene then how are we supposed to change anything?

Who else is there to educate them and show them all the benefits we bring? Because the media sure as hell aint going to, and liberal crackpots have already shown how low they will stoop to push their agenda!

it amazes me how many gun owners are willing to bury their heads in the sand while the other side pounds the pavement!

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I'm not burying my head. I'm observing their wishes. They don't want me in their place of business.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I would say, in my opinion, that at least a good portion if not the majority don't feel that way!

Why not have a conversation? Or send an email or make a phone call?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I obviously missed something at the last legislative session, which isn't not that hard, but premises is defined as inside buildings so for CC who gives a shit if they post the property so long as you don't enter a building. Did they change the CC law and the definition of premises??

30.06 and 30.07 are property, not premises.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Learn something new every day. Teaches me to rely on DPS being up to date. Looked at the actual law and damned if it didnt ay property. That leaves an interesting twist to the few apartments that have posted in Austin. Does that mean that if a LTC holder takes his firearm to his car in a range bag he is in violation, but a guy who doesnt have a LTC isnt??

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    And here are just the reported gas stations in Texas. All but 5 were posted after 1/1. These are just reported ones. If you fill up at any chain on this list, they are likely posted.

I haven't seen any actual chains posting.

I've seen lots of franchises posting tho.

Can't remember if it was here, I think it was, one of the business groups for independent gas stations was mailing them to their customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Whatever OCT has done still does not explain why a business that previously had no 30.06 sign now after January 1st has both. If their perception of OCT's antics were that it reflected negatively on concealed carriers, and that's why they put up both signs, then they are just irrational and stupid or they are lying because they didn't put up 30.06 signs years ago when OCT was getting started.

I know from personal experience that the real reason why both signs are going up is because business owners who were anti-gun had to become more knowledgeable about the law and the sign requirements and the new law basically motivated them to put up both signs.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Whatever OCT has done still does not explain why a business that previously had no 30.06 sign now after January 1st has both. If their perception of OCT's antics were that it reflected negatively on concealed carriers, and that's why they put up both signs, then they are just irrational and stupid or they are lying because they didn't put up 30.06 signs years ago when OCT was getting started.

I know from personal experience that the real reason why both signs are going up is because business owners who were anti-gun had to become more knowledgeable about the law and the sign requirements and the new law basically motivated them to put up both signs.

Or they chose not to deal with knowing anything and just bought 1 sign that covers all their bases.

We all need to print out a bunch of no $$ cards and stick them on any legal signs we run past

Top Bottom