• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertl1974

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    well yesterday saturday about 300 p.m. i was leaveing for work i was locking my door. had my back to the street turn around to walk down the sidewalk to my car look up across the street and see a pitbull running full speed at me:eek: it happen so fast he was in the middle of the street and i just started to move my arm to grab my gun and he was already in my yard by the time i pulled it out i had no time to chamber a round so i was going to have hit him move load a round and do what i would have to do.thank god he was just a young very big dog and just wanted to play i never seen this dumb dog before

most of the time i would just yell but seeing that poor lady that was attack by that chimp i was not going to take a chance .

so i have a question should i carry one in the chamber from now on what would you guys do ?
    DK Firearms

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    well yesterday saturday about 300 p.m. i was leaveing for work i was locking my door. had my back to the street turn around to walk down the sidewalk to my car look up across the street and see a pitbull running full speed at me:eek: it happen so fast he was in the middle of the street and i just started to move my arm to grab my gun and he was already in my yard by the time i pulled it out i had no time to chamber a round so i was going to have hit him move load a round and do what i would have to do.thank god he was just a young very big dog and just wanted to play i never seen this dumb dog before

most of the time i would just yell but seeing that poor lady that was attack by that chimp i was not going to take a chance .

so i have a question should i carry one in the chamber from now on what would you guys do ?

I think you already answered your own question. Without one in the chamber it is just a club IMHO. Do what is best for you. The first thing you need to do is make sure the gun is safe to carry that way and get the practice you need to carry it in that condition. Be safe and be prepared.

Good thing is you noticed it coming, that's the first step.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio

I have one if the pipe even on the pistols I don't happen to have on me. After having an event like that happen, what would make you NOT change your mind about having a round in battery ALL the time?

You typically have about seven seconds to evaluate a situation, draw your weapon, take aim, and fire. Let's break that down:

0) 1-2 seconds to evaluate a threat as being a real one, and deciding to draw your weapon

1) 1 - 2 seconds to clear leather and bring the weapon up into firing position

2) 1 second to "aim" and probably re-evaluate the threat

You're now down to just 4 seconds if you're very fast, or 2 seconds if you have an average response time, to fire.

You also need a second or so to rack the slide (assuming we're talking about a semi-auto here).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Condition 1 - always

You just lived through what us "one round in the chamber for carry" have always argued.

Glad it was just a crazy pup.

Either practice or put one in the chamber. You just got taught a lesson without having to go through the pain ;)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let me ask you the question back - why would you NOT carry one in the chamber? As you just saw for yourself, when you need your gun you need it now - consider this your one-time "learning moment". Learn from it.....

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I agree with what everyone else is saying, and what it sounds like you have concluded. When you thought you needed it, you only had a club, not a gun. I always have one in the chamber.

Most situations where you think you'll need your pistol, don't give you much time to react. If you had plenty of time to react, you probably wouldn't need your gun (you could avoid the situation). Guns are like seatbelts, usually when you need them, you need them NOW.

robertl1974

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    you guys are right i always thought i would have time to chamber a round if i needed it. lesson learned starting today my gun will be loaded and ready

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    *devils advocate*

jsut out of curioustiy, if you had one int he chamber, do you think you would have shot the playfull pooch?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehe.
    yeah i guess depending on the person and the dog.

i have trouble seeing it myself but that is my perspective of being a big friggin guy, having had fights with Akita's and won.
    (we became freinds afterward ;) )

but good job. liek everyone esle said a gun is jsut a club without one in the tube.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Because the sound of racking a round into the chamber is actually scarier to a bad guy than bullets flying at him faster than the speed of sound.

Book of Mall Ninjas
    Chapter 2 verse 14

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Without being loaded/chambered, it is just a shiny and expensive rock to chunk at 'em.

Kinda like trying to start a car without any gas in it--you won't get very far!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've thought about that dog attach deal, and I "think" if charged by a dangerous looking dog, I would either draw or depending on the situation (park with kids etc) put my hand on the gun and try to protect my face/neck by sticking my arm out. If the dog grabbed on to it, then I'd move to the next level which might be a kick to the dogs gut or a shot. I would be hesitant if it were in a public place with lots of people around, But that's in my thoughts.. but a "fight" never goes as you think it will.

But not matter what, without a round in the chamber, your gun is useless. Showing it to the dog isn't going to scare it way.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had that happen to me with a Pit Bull owned by my neighbor. I was home in my own space. He attacked and proceeded to tear up my lower leg. The attack was completely unprovoked. I had no firearm but hit him with a piece of PVC pipe which drove him off.

Weeks later, I was reading a book while relaxing in a lawn chair outside and the same dog came at me. This time, I had a loaded 1911A1 on a table next to me. The dog sensed that I was not going to run, stopped short and ran off. I don't know if the presence of the .45 changed his mind, but it didn't hurt.

Meanwhile, my letters to the neighbors' landlord took effect and the family moved taking their crazy dog with them. This happened long before CHL's were available.

Flash

Lost_Thought

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    The dog sensed that I was not going to run, stopped short and ran off. I don't know if the presence of the .45 changed his mind, but it didn't hurt.

Flash

It didn't change the dog's mind, it changed yours. Your body language no doubt went from "victim" to "strong" and that is all that is needed in a lot of situations.

Top Bottom