almost had to use my gun today

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by robertl1974, Nov 15, 2009.

1. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    well yesterday saturday about 300 p.m. i was leaveing for work i was locking my door. had my back to the street turn around to walk down the sidewalk to my car look up across the street and see a pitbull running full speed at me:eek: it happen so fast he was in the middle of the street and i just started to move my arm to grab my gun and he was already in my yard by the time i pulled it out i had no time to chamber a round so i was going to have hit him move load a round and do what i would have to do.thank god he was just a young very big dog and just wanted to play i never seen this dumb dog before

most of the time i would just yell but seeing that poor lady that was attack by that chimp i was not going to take a chance .

so i have a question should i carry one in the chamber from now on what would you guys do ?

2. Seabear1500

Seabear1500 Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I think you already answered your own question. Without one in the chamber it is just a club IMHO. Do what is best for you. The first thing you need to do is make sure the gun is safe to carry that way and get the practice you need to carry it in that condition. Be safe and be prepared.

Good thing is you noticed it coming, that's the first step.

3. Skip

Skip TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    +1

4. jsimmons

jsimmons Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have one if the pipe even on the pistols I don't happen to have on me. After having an event like that happen, what would make you NOT change your mind about having a round in battery ALL the time?

You typically have about seven seconds to evaluate a situation, draw your weapon, take aim, and fire. Let's break that down:

0) 1-2 seconds to evaluate a threat as being a real one, and deciding to draw your weapon

1) 1 - 2 seconds to clear leather and bring the weapon up into firing position

2) 1 second to "aim" and probably re-evaluate the threat

You're now down to just 4 seconds if you're very fast, or 2 seconds if you have an average response time, to fire.

You also need a second or so to rack the slide (assuming we're talking about a semi-auto here).

5. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Condition 1 - always

You just lived through what us "one round in the chamber for carry" have always argued.

Glad it was just a crazy pup.

Either practice or put one in the chamber. You just got taught a lesson without having to go through the pain ;)

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Why would you not? You could have been severely injured or killed due to your poor carry habit.

7. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let me ask you the question back - why would you NOT carry one in the chamber? As you just saw for yourself, when you need your gun you need it now - consider this your one-time "learning moment". Learn from it.....

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I agree with what everyone else is saying, and what it sounds like you have concluded. When you thought you needed it, you only had a club, not a gun. I always have one in the chamber.

Most situations where you think you'll need your pistol, don't give you much time to react. If you had plenty of time to react, you probably wouldn't need your gun (you could avoid the situation). Guns are like seatbelts, usually when you need them, you need them NOW.

9. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    you guys are right i always thought i would have time to chamber a round if i needed it. lesson learned starting today my gun will be loaded and ready :texas::happy0001:

10. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    *devils advocate*

jsut out of curioustiy, if you had one int he chamber, do you think you would have shot the playfull pooch?