• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    My Norton Internet Security subscription is up and I'm in the market for a new IS program. Norton is fine, but it's a HUGE resource hog. Does anybody run something better than Norton?
    Gun Zone Deals

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    For anti-virus, try Avast. Get it at Avast.com. Best of all, it's free, is updated real regular.

Thats also all I run, other than the Xp firewall and my network firewall.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Whatever you do, don't waste your time with Mcaffee. It's been awhile since I used it but, it's a horrible program. It's incredibly memory intensive and just doesn't work as well as other programs I've used in the past (Norton is quite a bit better if you can believe that).

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For anti-virus, try Avast. Get it at Avast.com. Best of all, it's free, is updated real regular.

Thats also all I run, other than the Xp firewall and my network firewall.

I've been using Avast on my PCs for a few years with no problems. I highly recommend it.

DEFKON99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    san antonio
    Personally I would say Avast as well I've been running it for over 3 years now and haven't had to format my system since.

As for my experience ive been in the Tech game for going on 9 years and i must say theres alot of free junk out there but Avast just does its job and shuts the hell up unlike alot of those free ones that bug the hell out of you while your trying to get stuff done like mcaffee.

Its free, Stable, and get the job done. I personally like the Boot scan which it can perform before the Os actually boots.

so yea Avast

Also any you guys feel free to Pm me with any Computer related issues im willing to help.

Thanks
    Rudy

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I have been using AVG free edition for a while now and it has worked
    great so far. Always upgrading and it caught a Trojan last night and
    fixed it right away.
    I have been using AVG free for over a year now and have had no problems. It has stopped many a virus. I use it on 9 different computers.

krazykat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I use AVG for anti-virus, Ad-Aware for spyware, and Zone Alarm for a firewall. All are good programs and all are free. All three are recommended by the Computer goddess -- Kim Kommando.:D

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Not too familiar with Onecare what is it 50 bucks a year ? You running Vista ?

It's a fairly new Microsoft product. I'm not a MS fan, but it utilizes much less of my systems resources compared to Norton. It is $50 a year, but you can use it on up to 3 computers. We're currently running it at home and at the office with XP.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Another vote for AVG here. I just renewed a multi-license for 2 years and upgraded to 8.1.

It's cheap enough and is well worth the license fee for the full IS package over unsupported anti-virus only Free version. You can try a full version for 30 days too.

2 years license renewal for 2 PC's is only $64 with the upgrade.

Cobra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    CANADA
    I've been using AVG for about eight years. I just downloaded AVG 8.0 last week, it comes in the free edition now. It also includes AVG Anti Virus now as well. Nicer interface this time around.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I didn't see any sort of parental control on any of the mentioned programs other than Norton. I emailed AVG about it, but haven't heard from them yet.

Top Bottom