Join TexasGunTalk

Alright folks. What is up with these diesel trucks blowing smoke!?

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by breakingcontact, Oct 24, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I see these modern big diesel pickup trucks ROLLING black smoke under acceleration. I mention modern to indicate they aren't old beaters with engine issues. These trucks are tuned to do this...why?

What is this about? Do you really get better performance in a road vehicle doing this? We aren't in a tractor pull on I35 folks.

Oh and the stacks coming out of the bed? Well, those I can live with if you don't emit coal colored plumes of smoke out of them, but still!

2. stdreb27

stdreb27 TGT Addict

Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    They're tuned. Get better power more gas mileage.

3. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    But...but...that can't be done without causing my car to then smell terrible and I have to breathe the smoke?

More power for? They aren't pulling yachts uphill or even pulling trailers!

Performance, get an old Corvette or something and put it on a 80's silverado chassis. (whoa, let my roots show there)

4. stdreb27

stdreb27 TGT Addict

Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Lol I drive a civic.

But today's diesels are programmed from the factory to put more value in what comes outof the tail pipe. That's why you have a nozzle for gas and. Nozzle for 65% water 35% def mixture.

So all those smokers you see out there have flashed the computer and have different fuel ratio and stuff settings to where they have more power (they are fast push you back in your seat fast). And get better 20% sometimes fuel economy.

5. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey TGT Addict

Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Some call it "rolling coal" and do so to be idiots and impress people or smoke out the car next to them. Search it on YouTube, they do it to joggers, bikers, walkers, etc.
    Others, like some friends, are getting better performance such as acceleration, mpg, etc....just optimizing the ability of their engine....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

6. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Y'all stop drinking that haterade

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

7. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I dont get it. Pull that stuff on a track or out in the country with no traffic. Im going to have to make it a standing policy not to follow diesel pickups and just breathe the smoke and yell 'Merica if it happens again.

I might have to switch careers, become a cop, write only tickets to these guys. Will have them filled out beforehand.

8. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey TGT Addict

Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Lmao haterade? I have no problem with missing, if you read my post...it's the douchebags behind the wheel when they wanna blow smoke in someone's face that it becomes a problem. I used to race against my buddy's megacab when I had my lifted tundra and his truck would shit and 'git.......

Mod it, Hell yes.....be a douche with it, I hope I'm the one to lull them over.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

9. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had Diesel engine classes and they taught us that if a Diesel smokes like that, it's either over fueled or under aired.

Flash

10. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I don't understand how it can be more efficient to be blowing black smoke. Its coming from a rich fuel mixture....everytime I see it, I wish they'd get it in the shop and have it checked out.