ARJ Defense ad

Alright folks. What is up with these diesel trucks blowing smoke!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Black smoke is unburned fuel. It's not possible to increase the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust AND increase fuel mileage.

The power gain stops as soon as you stop being able to burn all the fuel that is going in, unless you are just using the fuel as a filler for increasing compression which is extremely inefficient(retarded).

IOW, the black smoke pouring, badly tuned, trucks with stacks are a way to compensate for a small dick by wanna be country boys who know jack shit about a Diesel engine.

A well tuned diesel will get max power with minimal smoke and beat the shit out of the cracked out smoke machines.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Black smoke is unburned fuel. It's not possible to increase the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust AND increase fuel mileage.

The power gain stops as soon as you stop being able to burn all the fuel that is going in, unless you are just using the fuel as a filler for increasing compression which is extremely inefficient(retarded).

IOW, the black smoke pouring, badly tuned, trucks with stacks are a way to compensate for a small dick by wanna be country boys who know jack shit about a Diesel engine.

A well tuned diesel will get max power with minimal smoke and beat the shit out of the cracked out smoke machines.

This. Yes they may have it tuned for more fuel economy like someone said earlier. But just throwing a tuner on it and not having the right mix of parts is just gonna increase hp and not burn correctly causing the black smoke. We just tuned my buddies and deleted his out and it only blows black when he really romps on it because the rest is stock so it cant handle that extra fuel under a hard wot. Otherwise his fuel went from around 400 full tank to a max of 890 an average of 690-740 under mixed conditions. If we threw all the other correct parts in and tuned it just right for only fuel economy it would still be burnin clear with maybe a slight hint of white/clear smoke.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    You will normally see the thick black smoke from an unloaded truck that has been tuned for hauling. If I am pulling 5 tons or have a heavy loaded bed my truck makes no smoke, even under WOT. if I'm undoaded I can block out the sun. The new trucks can push a button to change the mapping, I had to break out hand toils and spend a half hour under the hood. 12v 6bt FTW!!!!!

tmann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Unused Diesel is all that black smoke is. My truck does black smoke when i get on it, but i cant argue with getting 25mpg compared to 17-18 stock. The guys that are always doing as was mentioned above, well lets just be blunt and call them a**holes that give others a bad name.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382633816.219952.jpg

Sent from my Obama phone.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    My shop truck is a Dodge Ram 3500. That thing can haul anything I can fit on the trailer (you shoulda seen the size of this skid-steer today!) with no power issues. I haven't ever seen that thing even hiccup a puff of smoke.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    My shop truck is a Dodge Ram 3500. That thing can haul anything I can fit on the trailer (you shoulda seen the size of this skid-steer today!) with no power issues. I haven't ever seen that thing even hiccup a puff of smoke.

Exactly! I belong to many dodge diesel and generic diesel performance forums. Nobody on there blows black smoke from tuning for hauling or fuel unless they purposely make it do that.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I've posted this before, but now seems a good time to revisit.

I had a lifted 4WD PSD that didn't smoke too bad, but it did push a lot of stinky exhaust.

The wife and I went to dinner and on the way back, caught a red light. I was in the left lane.

A lowered Explorer pulls next to me in the right lane, windows down, bass thumping annoyingly loud with two backwards hat wearing idiots bobbing heads.

I eased up till the exhaust was aligned with the driver's window and spooled that bitch up.

They were caught in traffic ... couldn't move. It was pure comedy watching those two trying to get away.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Seems like those YouTube videos would make great evidence to submit in court. And I guarantee a percentage of those smoke blowers are members on this and other gun forums. Unfortunately, most people like that love guns just as much.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I've posted this before, but now seems a good time to revisit.

I had a lifted 4WD PSD that didn't smoke too bad, but it did push a lot of stinky exhaust.

The wife and I went to dinner and on the way back, caught a red light. I was in the left lane.

A lowered Explorer pulls next to me in the right lane, windows down, bass thumping annoyingly loud with two backwards hat wearing idiots bobbing heads.

I eased up till the exhaust was aligned with the driver's window and spooled that bitch up.

They were caught in traffic ... couldn't move. It was pure comedy watching those two trying to get away.

So you blew the exhaust in their window while driving because you didn't like their music or car taste? So you could have caused an accident because for one moment, you wanted to be a d-bag too....good for you

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    So you blew the exhaust in their window while driving because you didn't like their music or car taste? So you could have caused an accident because for one moment, you wanted to be a d-bag too....good for you

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Reading and comprehension isn't one of the highlights on your resume is it or was that you in the Explorer?

Yes, I was a D'Bag too and it felt as refreshing as a cool summer breeze.

Last edited:

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    The first sign of a liberal is thinking someone else should do what you think is right. Sorry if your Prius got a little stinky....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The first sign of a liberal is thinking someone else should do what you think is right. Sorry if your Prius got a little stinky....

Actually, it's completely normal to think others should do what you think is right. I think everyone should carry. Does that make me a liberal?

Liberal thinking means forcing someone to only do what you think is right.

Now can we drop the whole "oh, you disagree. You must be a liberal" bullshit. It gets old after 0 times.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I suppose thats my weird conundrum (sp?). Im not going to call the cops on Bubba for his smoke or Leroy for his beats but out of decency for others, the golden rule, they should be self regulating enough to realize, "oh, im not going to act a fool out on the road".

Top Bottom