Target Sports

Alright folks. What is up with these diesel trucks blowing smoke!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I have a Smarty on my 06 Dodge that will puff a bit of smoke when I floor it. I love the extra power when I haul something and the fuel mileage. No stacks or blowing clouds of smoke for me.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Every time someone hammers down on the pedal it's technically over-fueled. All black smoke is is just unburned diesel that didn't get burned because the turbo hadn't spooled up to force air into the mix. It's not an engine problem but will cause problems later down the road if they constantly drive around like that.

Personally, I love a little black smoke but have never been a fan of the wannabe cowboys in dodge $#@!mins who blow ungodly amounts all the time. But to each his/her/its own.

Sent while being unproductive

You do get slightly better performance. With an over-availability of fuel, a molecule of cetane is more likely to find one of the more scarce molecules of oxygen in there. Looks neat in show, but you're an asshat if you do it on the street all the time.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The trucks that blow a shit ton of smoke are just wasting fuel.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Anyone who accelerates faster than 2.5 mph/sec or cruises over 40-50 mph is wasting fuel. Driving is a matter of balancing fuel consumption, speed, available time, conditions, etc.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Anyone who accelerates faster than 2.5 mph/sec or cruises over 40-50 mph is wasting fuel. Driving is a matter of balancing fuel consumption, speed, available time, conditions, etc.

Either you are being a smartass, or you don't understand diesel performance. Jared is not amused. -10 internets.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Some asshole back a few years ago was driving his lifted diesel, and his exhaust happened to be right next to my open window. Faggot floored it but failed to black smoke, all he did was emit loud volumes of sound into my car.

I didn't realize his mal intent until later on, that fucker.

On the other hand, my dad has a 7.3 turbo and I've never seen it blacksmoke

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Mod it, Hell yes.....be a douche with it, I hope I'm the one to lull them over.

Reminds me of the time I stole an M1 Abrams tank in GTA V online and drove it to the city. I was just waiting for an asshole player around the corner to see my player blip nearby them on the map and assume that I'm just another easy target for a quick drive by. I wished a MF'er would!!

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Some $#@! back a few years ago was driving his lifted diesel, and his exhaust happened to be right next to my open window. Faggot floored it but failed to black smoke, all he did was emit loud volumes of sound into my car.

I didn't realize his mal intent until later on, that $#@!er.

On the other hand, my dad has a 7.3 turbo and I've never seen it blacksmoke

A buddy of mine thats new to diesels thought he could roll coal. It was on a backroad that dead ends to my street and nobody except us live on it so pretty much no traffic. Anyways, this moron tried to roll coll and i died laughing when i told him he has a newer diesel with the egr and other emissions equipment on and that it wont roll coal unless theres a huge clog in his dpf. His face was nothing but butt hurt.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    A buddy of mine thats new to diesels thought he could roll coal. It was on a backroad that dead ends to my street and nobody except us live on it so pretty much no traffic. Anyways, this moron tried to roll coll and i died laughing when i told him he has a newer diesel with the egr and other emissions equipment on and that it wont roll coal unless theres a huge clog in his dpf. His face was nothing but butt hurt.

Haha its 2001 made. I thought they killed off the 7.3 because it couldn't meet new emissions standards? Idk shit about diesels.

Hell, even if it could blacksmoke, I don't think either of us have ever floored it and tried to make it do so lol.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Haha its 2001 made. I thought they killed off the 7.3 because it couldn't meet new emissions standards? Idk shit about diesels.

Hell, even if it could blacksmoke, I don't think either of us have ever floored it and tried to make it do so lol.

The 7.3 meets emission standards. My dad still has his that he bought brand new in 2000. Robust truck with a great, long-lasting motor. From factory it barely smokes but will roll coal like the rest of them if you put a performance programmer like an SCT or Banks on it.

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Texas law states something to the effect that a diesel truck can emit black smoke while accelerating but not loner than 3 to 5 seconds. Its something to that effect. Ill try to look it up if I get on a computer.

My truck is tuned but tuned for powe and fuel ecconomy with minimal smoke. It might puff some every now and then but its rare.

Its mostly guys just being buttholes. I had one or two trucks that would roal coal. If was neat for a couple times but I didnt really care for it. Some people love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm being a smartass to make a point. Everyone drives in an inefficient fashion.

Driving 70 has a purpose, it gets you there faster.

Your ideas on acceleration have been proven incorrect before. Many vehicles actually burn more fuel accelerating slowly due engine power and gear ratios. Accelerating at a descent rate is also safer than blocking traffic.

"Rolling coal" serves no purpose. It's just blowing unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Texas

§547.605. EMISSION SYSTEMS REQUIRED. (a) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive smoke or fumes.

(b) A motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, shall be equipped to prevent the discharge of crankcase emissions into the ambient atmosphere.
    (c) The owner or operator of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, that is equipped with an exhaust emission system:
    (1) shall maintain the system in good working condition;
    (2) shall use the system when the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated; and
    (3) may not remove the system or a part of the system or intentionally make the system inoperable in this state, unless the owner or operator removes the system or part to install another system or part intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions.
    (d) Except when travel conditions require the downshifting or use of lower gears to maintain reasonable momentum, a person commits an offense if the person operates, or as an owner knowingly permits another person to operate, a vehicle that emits:
    (1) visible smoke for 10 seconds or longer; or
    (2) visible smoke that remains suspended in the air for 10 seconds or longer before fully dissipating.
    (e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $1 and not more than $350 for each violation. If a person has previously been convicted of an offense under this section, an offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000 for each violation.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1075, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Driving 70 has a purpose, it gets you there faster.

Your ideas on acceleration have been proven incorrect before. Many vehicles actually burn more fuel accelerating slowly due engine power and gear ratios. Accelerating at a descent rate is also safer than blocking traffic.

"Rolling coal" serves no purpose. It's just blowing unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Actually he's correct. There is a sweet spot in rpm in each vehicle (based on gearing, motor, weight, etc, like you said) to accelerate at that is most economical. It has to be enough to overcome rolling resistance but not so much fuel delivery is more than enough to do the job. In the Dodge Cummins 3rd gen for example keeping boost under 6psi and ~1600 rpm for shifts is that sweet spot. And since not every vehicle lined up at a stop light must or will accelerate at the same speed (for efficiency) someone will always "block traffic".

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    Texas

(b) A motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, shall be equipped to prevent the discharge of crankcase emissions into the ambient atmosphere.

(3) may not remove the system or a part of the system or intentionally make the system inoperable in this state, unless the owner or operator removes the system or part to install another system or part intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions.

So I take it this means PCV vent systems are illegal in Texas? :vanish:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    So I take it this means PCV vent systems are illegal in Texas?

Preface: I'm not certain what you're getting at.

That said, I don't know but I doubt it. The enforcement of emissions equipment on a vehicle may depend on which county a person is getting the safety inspection done. Since some counties under the press of the EPA and "non attainment status" require emissions testing I'd say those are the ones that will more likely scrutinize the system in place.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

For some reason I recall the "not allowed to go below the level of equipment that the vehicle rolled off the line with". But I can't remember the context. But the conversation was in regards to deletes on a 6.7L Cummins.

As for the PCV system itself, I recall my my '94 Chevy truck having the PCV valve on the valve cover. It was OBDI with a single cat & O2sensor. When I owned it (It's been almost 10 years since I sold it) I had inspections done in Bexar and Nueces counties and never failed an inspection. But those don't test according to the DPS: Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection My sister drove a change over year '95 Jimmy 4.3L in Williamson Co and I think she was pinged for emissions during her safety inspection.

So, perhaps the blanket statement of a certain system being illegal will depend on the county..ETA based on the results of test. Not necessarily the system itself..? Seems like the type of system (ie the parts in place) would be a non-issue if the emission numbers were passing and garner no attention at all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom