APOD Firearms

Alright folks. What is up with these diesel trucks blowing smoke!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Luckily in Texas, when you get an inspection for diesels, all they do is a safety check. Your dash can be lit up like a christmas tree, and still pass. No emissions bs what so ever.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Guns International

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Luckily in Texas, when you get an inspection for diesels, all they do is a safety check. Your dash can be lit up like a christmas tree, and still pass. No emissions bs what so ever.

Yup, still costs $14.50 unlike the car.

You know there is no emissions testing here in FL either, for gas or diesel. There are even no safety inspections! When I registered my truck last week they only needed a VIN & odometer reading and cash or course. Now I know why there are some real basket case vehicles stumbling down the road :laughing:

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    The more people get pissed by this (me included for a long time), the faster things WILL change. It's simply an imature, low brow thing to do. Get high, get drunk, do it to yourself in the comfort of your own home but don't mess with people by shooting toxic fumes at them for your pleasure. Dam, I sound like Al Effen Gore, and by no means do I consider myself a greenie.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Actually he's correct. There is a sweet spot in rpm in each vehicle (based on gearing, motor, weight, etc, like you said) to accelerate at that is most economical. It has to be enough to overcome rolling resistance but not so much fuel delivery is more than enough to do the job. In the Dodge $#@!mins 3rd gen for example keeping boost under 6psi and ~1600 rpm for shifts is that sweet spot. And since not every vehicle lined up at a stop light must or will accelerate at the same speed (for efficiency) someone will always "block traffic".

Exactly.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The more people get pissed by this (me included for a long time), the faster things WILL change. It's simply an imature, low brow thing to do. Get high, get drunk, do it to yourself in the comfort of your own home but don't mess with people by shooting toxic fumes at them for your pleasure. Dam, I sound like Al Effen Gore, and by no means do I consider myself a greenie.

Fair enough. What's plan? Who is targeted? How will things change?

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

True. My dad uses a local shop to get all the company vehicles inspected. I know for a damn fact that at least 30% of those trucks wouldn't pass inspection in another state but Texas has somewhat of a "no shits given" attitude in a lot of places, especially small towns like mine.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My dad uses a local shop to get all the company vehicles inspected. I know for a damn fact that at least 30% of those trucks wouldn't pass inspection in another state but Texas has somewhat of a "no shits given" attitude in a lot of places, especially small towns like mine.
    I used to know a little shop that did lots of inspections. If you left a small bottle of a half-way decent whiskey on the front seat when you handed them the keys, it took about 5 minutes for them to drive it in back, slap on a sticker, and drive it back up front. They did that for decades...until the highly talented mechanic and owner (who was also, unfortunately, an alcoholic) died.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I used to know a little shop that did lots of inspections. If you left a small bottle of a half-way decent whiskey on the front seat when you handed them the keys, it took about 5 minutes for them to drive it in back, slap on a sticker, and drive it back up front. They did that for decades...until the highly talented mechanic and owner (who was also, unfortunately, an alcoholic) died.

Bribery in a creative form lol that's too bad. I like friendly people like that who will fudge the system a little.

jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    Truthfuly id love to have a diesel truck that will blow snoke. I think my reason for it is that I grew up down the road from a dragstrip and frequented the tractor pulls so the smoke reminds me of those times. Im also 22 and in collage so I do like showboating alittle lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Truthfuly id love to have a diesel truck that will blow snoke. I think my reason for it is that I grew up down the road from a dragstrip and frequented the tractor pulls so the smoke reminds me of those times. Im also 22 and in collage so I do like showboating alittle lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

OK. Just stay in the right lane, ill be passing on your left.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'd be more impressed by a nice big dually with just a touch of chrome, a nice deep growl, and a trailer hooked up hauling something big...like a bulldozer.

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    My shop truck is a Dodge Ram 3500. That thing can haul anything I can fit on the trailer (you shoulda seen the size of this skid-steer today!) with no power issues. I haven't ever seen that thing even hiccup a puff of smoke.

Like my ford f250. Only time she smokes is when I either get a bad tank of fuel, or something is wrong like my IDM going out and 2 injectors being burnt up :mad:

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Simple, idiots who don't know how to properly tune their vehicle. Or idiots who do it intentionally and think it's cool.

This. Most of them are "look at me!" idiots who tune it that way on purpose.

Something someone said earlier in the thread: No, "rolling coal" doesn't increase mileage OR power. That smoke is partially-burned fuel. Partially burned because there's too much for the amount of oxygen in the mixture.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    This. Most of them are "look at me!" idiots who tune it that way on purpose.

Something someone said earlier in the thread: No, "rolling coal" doesn't increase mileage OR power. That smoke is partially-burned fuel. Partially burned because there's too much for the amount of oxygen in the mixture.

Yup

Top Bottom