DK Firearms

Alright folks. What is up with these diesel trucks blowing smoke!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I see these modern big diesel pickup trucks ROLLING black smoke under acceleration. I mention modern to indicate they aren't old beaters with engine issues. These trucks are tuned to do this...why?

What is this about? Do you really get better performance in a road vehicle doing this? We aren't in a tractor pull on I35 folks.

Oh and the stacks coming out of the bed? Well, those I can live with if you don't emit coal colored plumes of smoke out of them, but still!
    Lynx Defense

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They're tuned. Get better power more gas mileage.

But...but...that can't be done without causing my car to then smell terrible and I have to breathe the smoke?

More power for? They aren't pulling yachts uphill or even pulling trailers!

Performance, get an old Corvette or something and put it on a 80's silverado chassis. (whoa, let my roots show there)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    But...but...that can't be done without causing my car to then smell terrible and I have to breathe the smoke?

More power for? They aren't pulling yachts uphill or even pulling trailers!

Performance, get an old Corvette or something and put it on a 80's silverado chassis. (whoa, let my roots show there)

Lol I drive a civic.

But today's diesels are programmed from the factory to put more value in what comes outof the tail pipe. That's why you have a nozzle for gas and. Nozzle for 65% water 35% def mixture.

So all those smokers you see out there have flashed the computer and have different fuel ratio and stuff settings to where they have more power (they are fast push you back in your seat fast). And get better 20% sometimes fuel economy.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Some call it "rolling coal" and do so to be idiots and impress people or smoke out the car next to them. Search it on YouTube, they do it to joggers, bikers, walkers, etc.
    Others, like some friends, are getting better performance such as acceleration, mpg, etc....just optimizing the ability of their engine....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I dont get it. Pull that stuff on a track or out in the country with no traffic. Im going to have to make it a standing policy not to follow diesel pickups and just breathe the smoke and yell 'Merica if it happens again.

I might have to switch careers, become a cop, write only tickets to these guys. Will have them filled out beforehand.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Lmao haterade? I have no problem with missing, if you read my post...it's the douchebags behind the wheel when they wanna blow smoke in someone's face that it becomes a problem. I used to race against my buddy's megacab when I had my lifted tundra and his truck would shit and 'git.......

Mod it, Hell yes.....be a douche with it, I hope I'm the one to lull them over.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had Diesel engine classes and they taught us that if a Diesel smokes like that, it's either over fueled or under aired.

Flash

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I don't understand how it can be more efficient to be blowing black smoke. Its coming from a rich fuel mixture....everytime I see it, I wish they'd get it in the shop and have it checked out.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I had Diesel engine classes and they taught us that if a Diesel smokes like that, it's either over fueled or under aired.

Flash

Every time someone hammers down on the pedal it's technically over-fueled. All black smoke is is just unburned diesel that didn't get burned because the turbo hadn't spooled up to force air into the mix. It's not an engine problem but will cause problems later down the road if they constantly drive around like that.

Personally, I love a little black smoke but have never been a fan of the wannabe cowboys in dodge Cummins who blow ungodly amounts all the time. But to each his/her/its own.

Sent while being unproductive

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    While sitting at the lights in Taylor, nice sunny day in my very well looked after older car ( antique as of this coming year ) one of these idiots pulled along side and proceeded to rev the engine and put out a little smoke. As the windows were open on both vehicles I honked as his exhaust was about 2 ft from my open window. He then proceeded to obliterate any possibility to see the light change color due to his obnoxious cloud. I could hear him and his friend laughing as they drove off.

I have not seen the truck since, but I would recognize it and am still, 6 months later pissed.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Im surprised to find so many others on here agree with me on this.

Its like a big middle finger to the world. Unfortunately around the edges of Austin its like the intersection of money and country. People get that paper (somehow) and go nuts with it.

I grew up around farms, not ranches and the farmers didnt drive ridiculous trucks. 4wd 1/2 ton or maybe 3/4 ton usually gas not diesel. If they needed to do some real farm work they would either get out a tractor or sometimes an old 1 ton flatbed truck dedicated for such tasks.

Biggest farmer i knew just drove a 2wd S10! But he was focused on making money, not spending it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Perhaps we're seeing a reaction to fuel prices. Diesel was always cheaper than gas and we know how that ended up.

Flash

Top Bottom