• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jack010203

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Hi guys I am looking for a way to keep my guns safe, but my situation does not allow me to get a gun safe. i am in an Apt and could not get a gun safe up to my Apt. So a gun cabinet is probly out of the question too, unless it required assembly later so i can get it up there and then put it togeter. Wanted to see if anyone had another idea.

All suggestions appreciated
    Capitol Armory ad

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    It's pretty easy to make a strong 3/4 inch plywood box in a closet with angle iron edges and several good locks. You can bolt it through the back into the wall studs with lag bolts and it's removable when you move out. All you have to do is spackle a few holes in a closet (which likely would not ever get noticed.

Practical secure storage that would take some work to get into... pretty cheap.

Bansheeman6100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    South Austin
    or you could buy one of the small light cabinets, mine probably weights 50lbs. of course i put A LOT of weight in the bottom so someone cant just walk off with it. and it was less than $100

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    or you could buy one of the small light cabinets, mine probably weights 50lbs. of course i put A LOT of weight in the bottom so someone cant just walk off with it. and it was less than $100

This would be my suggestion as well. You can get them at Academy, Cabela's, Wal-Mart and a bunch of other places. Most are something like 18 gague steel sheet that you can lag bolt to the studs in the wall. I had one for several years that worked just fine before I ended up outgrowing it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I've had my Liberty safe for 20 years and 10 of them were in apartments. One of my buddies recently bought a safe for his second floor of his condo that's on the third floor.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I'm probably not a good candidate to answer this question, I keep all my rifles in a gun cabinet made of glass and wood; and my pistols scattered around the house (night-stands, book shelves etc). But I do live and work from home out in the country. I also have 4 very large dogs. I figure if someone is determined enough to walk the 500 feet from the road, past 4 aggressive dogs then it doesn't matter if I have my guns in glass and wood or a large safe.

The way I see it is you have two options - security through strength or concealment. If I wanted to secure a gun without the expense or difficulty in adding a heavy duty safe I would instead hide the guns. I dislike the idea that guns in a safe are difficult to get to in a hurry. Here is what I would do -
    Install a circuit breaker panel (the type that fit flush against your wall and use the space behind the drywall - but don't install the back panel that holds the breakers. You can make it as tall as you want - for rifles or just handguns. It has the advantage of being very quick to access and can be placed anywhere without drawing the attention of thieves.
    If you want it to be elaborate you could install the back panel with a concealed hinge and use old breakers glued in place to complete the look.
    31-VhD13siL._SS500_.jpg

LinenCabinetTen

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    U.S.A.
    Happy New Year

I'm new to this board and just thought to post a quick hi to you all. I hope you all had a great Christmas andI'm looking forward to learning and contributing here. Chat soon - Lauren;)

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I am in a similar situation in that I live in a rental house, can't bolt to the floor, and I can't afford a full fledged fire safe right now. I just wanted something to secure the few shotguns and pistols I own. I bought a Sentry 5 gun safe that I will iinstall in my closet where I can bolt it to a wall that I can easily patch later. You can find them online for around $179. I bought mine through Walmart online because they currently have a .97 cent shipping deal. When I get it, I will post a review of it....

| Sentry® Safe | G0135 Gun Safe

usaf_vito

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I use a filing cabinet with one of those push-in key locks. Put it in a walk-in closet or in a hard-to-reach corner of an office (behind desks, chairs, etc), keep some heavy stuff in the bottom drawer, and keep it locked. It can be cut, but who would take the time to cut into one in an apartment complex with other (more replaceable) things of value so readily available?

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    instead of sleeping in a bedroom, sleep on a couch in the living room, and keep 4 hungry pitbulls in the bedroom guarding a toybox that you can keep all your guns in.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    just get a stack on brand safe.
    they weigh only a few pounds and you can remove the door when taking it up the stairs to make it lighter. then just throw in a bunch of weights. when i lived in my apt i threw like 60lbs worth of weight and all the weight of my guns it would take a couple ppl to remove it then carrying it down the stairs would be another story.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    You know one thing you might option to do is to just get renters insurance. Not only will it cover your guns but also you other valuables (sp?) like your tv, couches, computer. Plus in case of a fire it will help you there as well. Its pretty cheap and well worth it if you thing about it.

When it comes to the guns make sure to take good pictures of them with a white sheet of paper wth the Make Model and Serial number on them in case they do get stolen. Keep the pictures somewhere safe like maybe your work locker or even in a fire proof safe.

endebt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    Get a used ice box. Take the shelves out and put barrel holder in. You can put a good lock on it . They are cheap if not free. If you weather is wet put a 40 watt lite bulb in it.

Top Bottom