Aluminum Guns

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Fisherman777, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Howdy!

What are your opinions on aluminum frames? I like the Colt New Agent and the Defender but am leary about the aluminum. I've heard stories about jams that scarred the ramp that feeds the cartridge into the chamber.

I wonder, do they make or would they make those out of all steel or stainless steel? I don't care about the weight, just the size.

Whadda ya think?

2. nobodylies2.45

nobodylies2.45 Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Saginaw
    Well the question is how many rounds will go through it? Ive Have both a Colt Lightweight Commander, and a Sprinfield Lightweight Govt model, both have had hundreds of rounds down the pipe. Youll be fine with the frame dont sweat it.

3. Wraith

Wraith Active Member

Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    I also have a Defender that I've put hundreds of rounds through that has an unknown count through it before that has no problems. You can have a steel ramp installed if problems ever pop up. They are so much lighter with the aluminum frame.

4. cconn

cconn Active Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I bought a Defender years ago, Probably at least 10 years old. Great hot weather carry gun. Never had any problems with the aluminum frame.

5. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My Kimber CDP has an aluminium frame and I've never had a problem.

6. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    My Kimber Tactical Custom has an aluminum frame, have a couple thousand rounds through it by now and no problems.

7. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    To me aluminum is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I love the heft of high grade steel.

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sigs are either stainless or aluminum. I can't remember or simply don't know if the guns you're talking about have the feed ramp integrated into the barrel like Sig does.

Alloy frames aren't a big deal as long as it's designed right and doesn't use uber-cheap aluminum.

9. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    My Para P12 has a ramped barrel- no sweat on the ramp.

10. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I still wonder about longevity issues with aluminum. Then again, as long as you're not putting tens of thousands of rounds down the barrel it shouldn't be an issue. I'd still rather have steel.