• ...and so much more!
  • Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Howdy!

What are your opinions on aluminum frames? I like the Colt New Agent and the Defender but am leary about the aluminum. I've heard stories about jams that scarred the ramp that feeds the cartridge into the chamber.

I wonder, do they make or would they make those out of all steel or stainless steel? I don't care about the weight, just the size.

Whadda ya think?
    Hurley's Gold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Saginaw
    Well the question is how many rounds will go through it? Ive Have both a Colt Lightweight Commander, and a Sprinfield Lightweight Govt model, both have had hundreds of rounds down the pipe. Youll be fine with the frame dont sweat it.

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    I also have a Defender that I've put hundreds of rounds through that has an unknown count through it before that has no problems. You can have a steel ramp installed if problems ever pop up. They are so much lighter with the aluminum frame.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I bought a Defender years ago, Probably at least 10 years old. Great hot weather carry gun. Never had any problems with the aluminum frame.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My Kimber CDP has an aluminium frame and I've never had a problem.

Sigs are either stainless or aluminum. I can't remember or simply don't know if the guns you're talking about have the feed ramp integrated into the barrel like Sig does.

Alloy frames aren't a big deal as long as it's designed right and doesn't use uber-cheap aluminum.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I still wonder about longevity issues with aluminum. Then again, as long as you're not putting tens of thousands of rounds down the barrel it shouldn't be an issue. I'd still rather have steel.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    To me aluminum is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I love the heft of high grade steel.

That's what I am thinking. I got to hold a Defender at Academy and I really liked it but wish they gave you a choice between aluminum, steel or stainless steel. I don't mind the weight. When I'm wearing shorts and working outside, I have a full sized 1911 in a Smartcarry. I'd just like a smaller 1911 in the same caliber for when I'm wearing a Smartcarry. I like my IWB when I have pants and a belt on but sometimes wish for something I can just grab and stick in the pocket of my bathrobe. I tried that with my big 1911 but eet don work out so good.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Go do some research into Sigs and some of the torture tests or long, hard, duty lives some of them have endured. To be straight to the point, it's not a big deal. Typical high quality aluminum frames will last a lot longer than most people will ever shoot their guns. I may not be accurate on this but, from what I remember I think Sig uses 7075 T6 aluminum for their aluminum frame guns. I believe most of the other reputable manufacturers out their making aluminum framed guns use 7075 T6 as well. This is the same aircraft grade of aluminum used in most AR/M16 receivers. Heck Porsche even uses that grade of aluminum on their factory lightweight lugnuts (had some on my Porsches, thought they were plastic at first they were so light lol)! If it's trusted for use on military issue rifles, trusted to hold the wheels on $100,000 cars, trusted for aircraft........it's good enough for someone's carry gun.

You know, I bet I know where some of the whole incorrect "reliability issues" with aluminum framed guns has come from. Most people don't properly maintain their guns, and I think it's as simple as that. Guns have wear items that need to be replaced at intervals. With most guns, generally the recoil spring needs replacement every 3-5k rounds, mag springs WILL need to be replaced at the first sign of feeding issues, and things like trigger return springs/main springs/striker springs/etc will need to be replaced eventually as well (depending on amount of usage). I would say a ridiculous percentage of firearms owners probably never even replace the recoil spring in their handguns. This can be real bad on an aluminum framed gun, and I bet is one of the primary causes of cracks in aluminum frames. Now if you're talking about an aluminum framed 1911, and a compact one at that, the window for replacement shrinks due to the increased stress. I've seen many industry pros recommend recoil spring replacement on aluminum 3" 1911s at 1-2k rounds.

87'vette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry that I shoot some pretty hot .40 out of. No issues yet. In fact i'm gonna convert it to 10mm soon. We'll see how she holds up.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    SigFiend: The anodizing on an aluminum frame can be harder than the steel used in other pistols. Heck, I've got most of the finish on my Sig's rails still, and it's got a lot of rounds through it.

Talking cars, BMW is using magnesium for their engine blocks now. Guess what all the bolts that screw into the block have to be made of? Yep; aluminum.

I've heard, too, that F1 cars have gearbox housings that contain zero metal.

I still wonder about longevity issues with aluminum. Then again, as long as you're not putting tens of thousands of rounds down the barrel it shouldn't be an issue. I'd still rather have steel.

In a time when a plastic-framed pistol is considered one of the most reliable guns ever, I can't see how people would doubt aluminum.

If you doubt a Sig-Sauer can't handle putting tens of thousands of rounds downrange in a lifetime... just bring the ammo and I'll be happy to prove you wrong. Honestly, most pistols be they steel, aluminum or plastic should be able to go for hundreds of thousands of rounds before wearing out completely.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    To me aluminum is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I love the heft of high grade steel.

I think there are a lot of good reasons to want a lighter pistol. Watch NutnFancy (sp?) he explains it better.

Some guns (or as he would say defensive systems . . ammo, rifle, food, water, camping kit, ect), it doesn't matter. Other times, you want to save where ever you can on weight.

I do know from my experience at portaging and camping that a lot of eight can be saved a little at a time.

Either way, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an aluminum gun from a good company. Just my

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller

That depends on the gun. There are many Sigs, with alloy frames that have over 50,000 rounds on them and are still going strong. Aluminum 1911's I doubt would stand up to that much just due to the design and troque of the .45 ACP

Aluminim frame 1911's and the like are usually targeted as carry guns, with the lighter weight of the frame being the advantage. So, you shoot it enough to get proficient with it. Practice now and again, then carry. Doing that it will no doubt out last you. If you want a gun to go to the range with and shoot the hell out of it, (many 1000's of rounds) get an all steel gun. In a defense situation, it makes little difference provided the alloy gun is in good condition. It will preform just as well as an all steel gun, recoil not withstading.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    What about hot loads? Any special warnings or issues from manufacturers like Kimber? I don't use hot loads myself, I'm just asking more from a curious, devil's advocate point of view.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The barrel is what supports the chamber pressure, so that is the limiting factor.

As far as the frame, if you run a proper spring for the gun it will be a non-issue. If you underspring the gun, then subject the frame to battering, then any of the materials are going to show wear. Aluminum is softer, so it will show accelerated wear. Even the standard aircraft grade T6061 Aluminum is about 1/2 to 2/3rds as hard as most of your gun steel.

Aluminum is harder than polymer, but polymer is elastic. Aluminum is 3 times as elastic as steel.

Ask yourself this ... have you ever seen an AR15 wear out it's aluminum components? It's got a forged aluminum lower and upper receiver, and is subject to considerably more deposits and rough conditions.

Top Bottom