Am I an idiot.... considering .410 ga for anti-snake purposes

DD130

Aug 21, 2017
San Antonio
Am I an idiot? Maybe. Probably? Regardless, I pose this question for a specific reason.

Would it be a good / bad / other idea to consider a .410 shotty to potentially deal with snakes? We recently purchased a little less than 2 acres of wooded land on a ton of limestone. We have rock... everywhere.. and trees... rocks and trees. Seems like good snake habitat. We're currently cleaning up the land, setting up some small recreation areas for horseshoes, cornhole, and an airgun range. My concern is encountering some venomous interlopers while out and about the our little plot of Hill Country heaven.

Maybe a 9mm or perhaps a revolver with snake-shot would be sufficient should I encounter something while clearing trees or moving stones.

I'm guessing there are some opinions on this.

Axxe55

Trophy Husband. Just Ask My Wife!
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
410 has always been a good option for the purposes you describe. Several gun manufacturers over the years have marketed 410 shotguns for that purpose.

For several years, I have wrestled with the idea of buying a Taurus Judge for that purpose as well, but have resisted for the reason of having to keep another shotgun shell stocked, and that 410 shells are really expensive compared to 12 ga.

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
Snakes like coyotes serve a purpose in nature. I'm not one for killing venomous snakes unless absolutely necessary. More skake have been killed with shovels & hoes then guns.

baboon,

I'm with you on this opinion, as years ago i was the Camp Manager & Camp Ranger for a BSA camp in Arkansas. - A "nervous Nellie" on the Council Executive Committee DEMANDED that we "remove all the poisonous snakes" from the camp property "to protect the children".
(FYI, in over 60 years, we had never had a single snakebite BUT needing the job to finish grad school, I got a group of adult leaders together to catch & remove every copperhead & rattler that we could find. = We relocated over 100 snakes "across the river" & OFF the property. The next Summer the camp was COVERED UP WITH RATS.)

DON'T MESS WITH MOTHER NATURE is my advice.

yours, satx

studenygreg

Well-Known
Oct 7, 2015
I dont normally shoot snakes or critters when I come up on them. I usually just walk around them. If I do need to remove a snake from my path, I just shoo them away with a big stick, shovel etc. I wouldn't buy a gun specifically for snakes. I have .22lr ratchet and .357mag rat shot if need.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

etmo

Jan 25, 2020
Cedar Creek, Tx
Seems like discharging a firearm just to kill a snake is probably fun but overkill.

Why not just get a 6' piece of narrow mild steel rod from Home Depot, bend the last 6 inches 90 degrees, and you use it to pin any snake to the ground from behind it's head, then relocate it or kill it based on your judgement and perhaps the type of snake (might want to keep rat eaters....).

The steel rod will never run out of ammo, there's no risk of a ricochet, hearing damage, frightening the neighbors, negligent discharge, etc. Ammo costs a lot of money these days, too.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member