• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    Am I an idiot? Maybe. Probably? Regardless, I pose this question for a specific reason.

Would it be a good / bad / other idea to consider a .410 shotty to potentially deal with snakes? We recently purchased a little less than 2 acres of wooded land on a ton of limestone. We have rock... everywhere.. and trees... rocks and trees. Seems like good snake habitat. We're currently cleaning up the land, setting up some small recreation areas for horseshoes, cornhole, and an airgun range. My concern is encountering some venomous interlopers while out and about the our little plot of Hill Country heaven.

Maybe a 9mm or perhaps a revolver with snake-shot would be sufficient should I encounter something while clearing trees or moving stones.

I'm guessing there are some opinions on this.
    Hurley's Gold

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    410 has always been a good option for the purposes you describe. Several gun manufacturers over the years have marketed 410 shotguns for that purpose.

For several years, I have wrestled with the idea of buying a Taurus Judge for that purpose as well, but have resisted for the reason of having to keep another shotgun shell stocked, and that 410 shells are really expensive compared to 12 ga.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    15F0FFDC-209E-42FD-8743-58C87A3FA9EA.jpeg

You’re a daisy if you do.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Snakes like coyotes serve a purpose in nature. I'm not one for killing venomous snakes unless absolutely necessary. More skake have been killed with shovels & hoes then guns.

baboon,

I'm with you on this opinion, as years ago i was the Camp Manager & Camp Ranger for a BSA camp in Arkansas. - A "nervous Nellie" on the Council Executive Committee DEMANDED that we "remove all the poisonous snakes" from the camp property "to protect the children".
    (FYI, in over 60 years, we had never had a single snakebite BUT needing the job to finish grad school, I got a group of adult leaders together to catch & remove every copperhead & rattler that we could find. = We relocated over 100 snakes "across the river" & OFF the property. The next Summer the camp was COVERED UP WITH RATS.)

DON'T MESS WITH MOTHER NATURE is my advice.

yours, satx

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I dont normally shoot snakes or critters when I come up on them. I usually just walk around them. If I do need to remove a snake from my path, I just shoo them away with a big stick, shovel etc. I wouldn't buy a gun specifically for snakes. I have .22lr ratchet and .357mag rat shot if need.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Seems like discharging a firearm just to kill a snake is probably fun but overkill.

Why not just get a 6' piece of narrow mild steel rod from Home Depot, bend the last 6 inches 90 degrees, and you use it to pin any snake to the ground from behind it's head, then relocate it or kill it based on your judgement and perhaps the type of snake (might want to keep rat eaters....).

The steel rod will never run out of ammo, there's no risk of a ricochet, hearing damage, frightening the neighbors, negligent discharge, etc. Ammo costs a lot of money these days, too.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    And then there is the commercially available snake sticks. They are even good for picking up stuff in tiny places.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    I've used 9mm cci snake shot on multiple occasions. It works pretty well. When I lived in the Blue Ridge mountains I would keep a mag of it in my pocket. It might not cycle in every gun but you can just run the slide. They cycled in my G19 and G26. The only problem with it is you need sort of a rigid pouch for the magazine because the plastic capsule thing that the shot is in can break and fill the mag and your pocket with the little BBs.

I've found that snakes aren't as aggressive as they're made out to be and I have had the time to swap to the shotshells. Or when you're working outside go out with that in your gun. I don't think it's necessary to have a dedicated gun just to deal with them.

When you're working leave any engines on. Lawn mowers or string trimmer or chainsaws. Leave them running and set them on the ground and the vibrations will help to scare the snakes away.

After you've cleared them out get some Ortho Snake B Gone and also get rid of things that mice like. If you're feeding birds you're probably feeding rodents too and they're attracting snakes.

I think with all the rock you mentioned you might be in a "less is more" situation. I think you may want to use something with as few shells or as little velocity as possible to reduce the likelihood of BBs ricocheting all over the place.

If you can find them try the cci shot shells for whatever you already carry. They rip up a snake pretty good and if they cycle you'll be good to go.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    When I was a little kid, my Grandmother would reach into a box of rattles and tell me a story about how that snake met it's end. When I was mid 20's I realized she could not have possibly known the story about each rattle. Miss you Granny!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom