• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I would not have a problem using a .410 for snakes and such. With me not being near as quick on me feet as I once was, I'm willing to take advantages where I can.

Most of 'em though, as has been said, get a pass if they've got a good attitude.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ROFL. OK.. :) In a revolver, rifle, or (gulp) auto-loader? :o

In all seriousness though.. I'm trying to figure what might be a good idea and what's just daft.
    Seriously.... none of those options you listed are daft. 44mag would be daft.

410 and any caliber handgun rat shot is gonna be just fine. It doesn't take much to disable them.

My inlaws carry a single shot 410 in their ranger. It does a very good job.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The Judge is precisely one of the options I wanted to pursue.

Here's how I would look at it. Do you already own any shotgun now?
    (I already own quite a few 12 gauges, and have a friend who is planning on buying my only 20 gauge shotgun.)

I do see the Judge as a viable option though. It can be used with 45 Colt cartridges as well. That is a plus for some over just a dedicated shotgun.

Since I already stock various types of 12 gauge ammo, I just don't see the the Judge as being viable for myself for such a narrow intended usage. But, it might be a viable option for you to consider.

I have shot my brother's Judge on several occasions, and it's a pretty neat pistol and I do like it. IF I ran across one at a really great deal, I would probably consider it more seriously. But currently at the price of 410 ammo, I'll just stick with my 12 gauge ammo and shotguns.

Can't never tell though!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Seriously.... none of those options you listed are daft. 44mag would be daft.

410 and any caliber handgun rat shot is gonna be just fine. It doesn't take much to disable them.

When I lived at home, we kept a 22 revolver, my grandfather's old H&R nine-shot loaded with shotshells for dispatching rats and snakes in the barn. Dad didn't want us tearing up the barn walls with anything bigger.

That 22 revolver with shotshells did a great job on snakes and rats.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    If you have a 22 pistol you might try some of the 22LR cci shot shells. If they cycle that might work really well for you. If not you could get one of those cheap heritage cowboy single action army revolvers. It'd probably be a lot quieter and lighter than a 410.

I've only used the 9mm shot shells though so I can't speak to the 22 ones.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Here's how I would look at it. Do you already own any shotgun now?
    (I already own quite a few 12 gauges, and have a friend who is planning on buying my only 20 gauge shotgun.)

I do see the Judge as a viable option though. It can be used with 45 Colt cartridges as well. That is a plus for some over just a dedicated shotgun.

Since I already stock various types of 12 gauge ammo, I just don't see the the Judge as being viable for myself for such a narrow intended usage. But, it might be a viable option for you to consider.

I have shot my brother's Judge on several occasions, and it's a pretty neat pistol and I do like it. IF I ran across one at a really great deal, I would probably consider it more seriously. But currently at the price of 410 ammo, I'll just stick with my 12 gauge ammo and shotguns.

Can't never tell though!

Very good point, but if for snake use, a box should last forever.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I lived at home, we kept a 22 revolver, my grandfather's old H&R nine-shot loaded with shotshells for dispatching rats and snakes in the barn. Dad didn't want us tearing up the barn walls with anything bigger.

That 22 revolver with shotshells did a great job on snakes and rats.
    And that's the thing I like about the .22 rat shot. It's not a cannon, it doesn't tear a bunch of stuff up. Like that rattle bug last weekend. I just opened the screen and shot. Didn't worry about my outdoor furniture. I dispatched some winged intruders upstairs and it didn't put holes in my insulation.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The Judge is precisely one of the options I wanted to pursue.
    I have a Governor and firing .410 once has cost me some of my hearing. A shotgun might be okay. Who has time for ear pro when there is a rattler. At my home I kill venomous snakes because of the dogs. Hoe works. On my ranch I leave them alone as I don't take the dogs. I do wear snake boots on the ranch. I load my own snake shot for .38 but I carry a RugerLCR and it is so light that I only load the first round with snake shot as the capsules will migrate and lock the cylinder. If you are going to use a revolver make sure it is heavy enough to handle and absorb the recoil.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    Judge
    ProsCons
    If you need to subtract a snake this is probably the best wayLoud
    LoudHeavy
    Get off my lawnExpensive
    Most damageMost damage
    A new gun

22 LR Shot Shells & A Cheap Revolver
    ProsCons
    QuietTotally lame, not cool at all
    CheapGeneral unreliability of 22 LR ammo
    Least damageLeast Damage
    Light
    If you're doing dirty work you won't get a gun you care about dirty

CCI Shotshells for a gun you already have
    ProsCons
    Cheapest solutionMaybe it cycles, maybe it doesn't
    Gun you already haveGun you already have. (No new gun :( )
    Holster you already haveGun and holster gets dirty doing yard work

XM42 Flamethrower
    ProsCons
    Overkill is the best killWill probably set yourself on fire
    Brush and stuff will also be cleared while dispatching snakeWill probably burn down your house
    Extreme prejudiceWill probably get arrested for something
    Quiet, no hearing loss unless you set your ears on fireMost expensive option
    Never have to shovel snow againSmell of burned snake
    Snakes learn to fear you and go bother someone else

Flamethrower is clearly the best choice

2020-09-30 10_10_04-Window.png

Top Bottom