Join TexasGunTalk

Am I legal ?

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by Ron0011, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Ron0011

Ron0011 New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    So here is my question I don't know if I'm legal to own a gun or not. This uncertainty arises from Child support issues I had in the past. This was a situation that went on for many years and at one point I had probation which I satisfied satisfactorily and in the end All monies have been paid and any probation has been completed and finished. As I understand it the whole thing was supposed to be deferred adjudication. So now I'm unsure about buying a firearm and how to find out if I can buy a firearm. Do I need to get an attorney to determine this for me or can I just make the application to purchase a firearm and find out if the background check comes back negative or
    approved

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Bottom line. If you were convicted AND adjudicated (sentence imposed) of a felony. Any felony, you are not allowed to purchase a firearm. I would suggest you contact legal counsel and see what your status is.

3. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 1, 2011
    If you are being honest and truly unsure, fill out the 4473 form answering all questions truthfully. Answer within 3 days, no attorneys fees necessary.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Going to a gun store and guessing on a 4473 is not wise.

OP, what state did your child support issue happen?

5. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 1, 2011
    Enlighten me, bare in mind I said be honest.

6. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Depends on what you exactly what the charge was and the final adjudication. If you put a felony conviction on a 4473, you will be refused. Check with county clerk where it happened or ask an attorney. Wrong guess could get You in a LOT of trouble, not worth the risk

7. Sugar Land

Sugar Land TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas

8. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Call the Court Clerk of the county in which this occurred and ask him/her exactly what you were, or were not convicted of and whether or not it was a felony or not. If it is a felony conviction, then no. No expert here but, I don't often hear of child support cases being felonies. Unless there was a domestic violence issue involved with it. I have heard of those being treated as a felony. Then again,domestic violence convictions are also a reason to refuse a buyer a firearm. If I remember correctly.

9. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Byrd666,

You are most correct.

10. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Well he has probably been guessing on employment apps, and other docs all these years.

I myself do not believe folks do not know if they are felons or not.