Texas SOT

Am I mistaken or is this report inaccurate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    Found this report while reading some news on my phone and the last item doesn't seem accurate: "4. The gun also must be in your name". And if you watch the actual video, the slide that lists the rules doesn't include this phantom rule. It's almost like he just makes it up and throws it in there at the last minute.

According to the reporter, my wife cannot have "her" Glock that is registered to me in her vehicle. Is the reporter correct in saying that?

Thanks in advance.

Gun Rights Shoot on Over to Your Vehicle

Updated: Thursday, 18 Nov 2010, 9:37 PM CST
    Published : Thursday, 18 Nov 2010, 7:02 PM CST

ISIAH CAREY
    Reporter

HOUSTON - It's probably the best kept secret in Texas that could provide you protection while you travel.

A little, known law allows you to extend your gun rights from your home to your car without a concealed handgun license.

The legislature made it okay for Texans to ride with their guns in their vehicles without a concealed weapons permit. The sticking point has been whether you're traveling or not. Now the law is clear that you're presumed to be traveling.

We talked with some experts who say this is a right most Texans should appreciate.

Fort Bend County Sheriff Milton Wright says his deputies on the street are also aware of the
    law. But with every law there are guidelines to follow. Here's what you should know about the traveling rule and your weapon:

1. It must be hidden from plain view.

2. The owner can't be involved in criminal activity or a gang.

3. A person can't be prohibited by law from carrying a weapon.

4. The gun also must be in your name

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Check out the comments section.
    One comment says, "In your name means this reporter doesn't have a clue what he is talking about".

That about sums it up.

No such thing as IN YOUR NAME in Texas.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Given that Texas has no "registration" requirement, how can that be a rule/law?

The reporter is a moron, and was probably just ad-libbing to create filler.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks. Just wanted to make sure. I originally read the report on an Android app on my phone so there wasn't a comments section. I went and found the article on their site for reference but didn't bother scrolling down any further, oops.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This report is wrong on more than ONE point

Updated: Thursday, 18 Nov 2010, 9:37 PM CST
    Published : Thursday, 18 Nov 2010, 7:02 PM CST

ISIAH CAREY
    Reporter

HOUSTON - It's probably the best kept secret in Texas that could provide you protection while you travel.

A little, known law allows you to extend your gun rights from your home to your car without a concealed handgun license. These "rights" are not extended from the home to the car. They are separate. Also, the words "little" and "known" should not be separated by a comma. Some reporter.

The legislature made it okay for Texans to ride with their guns in their vehicles without a concealed weapons permit. The sticking point has been whether you're traveling or not. Now the law is clear that you're presumed to be traveling. No, there is no "presumption" of traveling, and the word travel is not used in the statute.

We talked with some experts who say this is a right most Texans should appreciate.

Fort Bend County Sheriff Milton Wright says his deputies on the street are also aware of the
    law. But with every law there are guidelines to follow. Here's what you should know about the traveling rule and your weapon:

1. It must be hidden from plain view.

2. The owner can't be involved in criminal activity or a gang.

3. A person can't be prohibited by law from carrying a weapon.

4. The gun also must be in your name
    ALthough this has already been covered by the other posters here, I have to say this just amazes me.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Of the TV reporters I have dealt with (and there have been quite a few), it is rare for them to get the facts straight in their broadcast. They will interject wrong info even when it is easier to stick to the facts that they are given.

Top Bottom