• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    They were chatting about it on talk radio tonight. I was driving back to Longview from Shreveport and turned up the AM talk. I don't recall the host, but he made a lot of remarks that sounded very logical.

He was asking everyone to call in and answer his questions. I wasn't driving long enough to hear it all, but what I heard was interesting.

I'll talk about it, but I don't understand what there is to talk about. Are we supposed to ask someone what it's like to be black? Are they supposed to ask us what it is like to be white? Do we have to limit it to black & white, are we supposed to ask someone brown or yellow the same questions? Should we ask about experiences and if they felt their race made that experience different than someone of another color would have experienced at the same place and time?

I guess that I just don't get it. I don't understand, for example, if some African Americans (and, my biggest question is when do we use black vs African American) want to be considered inclusive or exclusive to our culture. There are so many black based things, where everyone else is excluded. UNCF, BET, Miss Black America, and many others. Supporting those things is devisive. It creates a wedge, as it seperates them from everyone else. Why would they want to foster the perception that there is a them and us by having a 'them' only event, station, or organization.

To remove race from the table, you must fully immerse yourself into the already blended culture we call being an American.

My friend, I know by his skin color that he is an African American, but I see...he is just my friend. We are different in many ways, but we dress similarly, we speak similarly, we behave similarly. He is an American. I see him as an American. When we discuss our lives, we talk about our families and our jobs. He asks for nothing more and nothing less than any of my other friends. He expects nothing more and nothing less than any of my other friends. We are both Americans, we are both pursuing our dreams. Why would anyone seperate themselves by wanting to be anything other than an American??

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My friend, I know by his skin color that he is an African American, but I see...he is just my friend. We are different in many ways, but we dress similarly, we speak similarly, we behave similarly. He is an American. I see him as an American. When we discuss our lives, we talk about our families and our jobs. He asks for nothing more and nothing less than any of my other friends. He expects nothing more and nothing less than any of my other friends. We are both Americans, we are both pursuing our dreams. Why would anyone seperate themselves by wanting to be anything other than an American??

The majority of the issue derives from people that use race as a tool to empower themselves politically and/or financially. A key set of examples being Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They seek to see racism in anything and everything, they want to drive that wedge further and further between Americans as a means of empowering themselves.

Prejudice is, and will always be, around. It's in all forms of human society. However somewhere in the US society it became acceptable for non-whites to be prejudice towards whites, while at the same time it became zero tolerance for whites. I even recall someone berating a scientist for notating that blacks are superior at sports because of their genetics. You can't even compliment the abilities of people any more without being labeled some sort of racist.

It's merely a subsection of why this country is failing.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    People are people. You will never change the fact that people generally enjoy being with people they are most comfortable with. You cannot force people to like other people. Look at this site as a prime example. We are not all the same race but do enjoy a common hobby/interest/American right (2a).

Anyway, I had to make a 300 mile trip to north Texas today and listened to talk radio all day (real treat for me). It is obvious to me that we are spending way too much time being victims, giving power to victims, and giving too much importance to certain victims. At some point, you have to stop talking and start living.

Clyburn: Opposition to stimulus is slap in face - International Herald Tribune
    Gotta love professional victims.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I like what I heard one guy say somewhere, though I can't remember where. Man up, or shut the F up! I'm not directing that at anyone here, but more towards our society in general. Our society has really been turned into a nation of whiners (or at least the more vocal part of our nation has), whining about unfairness, not enough handouts, things aren't easy enough. I don't care what ethnic background someone is from, if they handle their own sh*t and don't whine about it, then I will have respect for them. There are whiners from EVERY ethnic background in this country, so my only prejudice is against stupidity.

Seriously though, it all boils down to that one sentence. Man up or shut the F up!

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    Holder's statement is not a valid point. You could find a lot of terms to describe reluctance to discuss race, such as "good manners," or "I've gotten over it a long time ago," or "I accept MLK's invitation to look at character, not skin color," or "no good will come of such a discussion," but "cowardice" simply misses the mark. Methinks Eric H. is projecting a bit here.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'll tell you guys why we don't discuss race at my house or with my family. They'd laugh you out of the living room ... after insulting your manhood and inability to rise above.

My mom is one tough Mexican.

EDIT: Just for some sanity, I asked my wife what would my family say it I told them I was a victim or racism, if I was denied service for being Mex-Am, or that America was a down right mean country (like Michelle Obama). She said ... after they stopped laughing at you? They'd have one word for you ... WUSSY ... cept with a P

FM-793

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    SW Houston - Westbury
    I'm Mexican-American as well, and I think that Eric Holder's remarks say more about him than they do about America. Racial dialogue? Why? We were at Walmart this morning. There was a black young man cashiering that came and got us as we waited in another line. He was effiecient, polite and you could just tell that he was a quality young man. I liked him immediately and let the store manager know that we were pleased. What stood out to me was not that he was black, but that he was quality. This is what I respond to in people; not race, not religion, not sexual preference.

After a great interaction with him, was I then supposed dialogue about race? To me, that would have been demeaning and spirit crushing. Even a friendly, "hey, how's the African-American thing working for you", would have let him know that no matter how well he performed, race was the quality that I saw in him. Yeah, I bet that would have helped bow up his shoulders and motivate him for doing a good job, for caring about the job he was involved with. Who thinks like that?

What I find even more insulting is that we're being lectured to about race by a guy that went to Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan (public school, but very, very exclusive club), and got his BA and law degree from Columbia. Obama got his law degree from Harvard. The President and the US Attorney General; can you imagine what they could have accomplished if the Man hadn't held them down?

I'd say that the nation has changed significantly since the 1950's; Colin Powell, Condaleeza Rice, Alberto Gonzales, Barack Obama, Eric Holder, Thurogood Marshall, Clearance Thomas, etc. I'm getting even more furious the more I think about it. President isn't good enough? What in the Sam Hill will make them happy? His Majesty the King of the US Obama and Grand High Mystic Exalted Attorney General Holder?

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I guess that I just don't get it. I don't understand, for example, if some African Americans (and, my biggest question is when do we use black vs African American) want to be considered inclusive or exclusive to our culture. There are so many black based things, where everyone else is excluded. UNCF, BET, Miss Black America, and many others. Supporting those things is devisive. It creates a wedge, as it seperates them from everyone else. Why would they want to foster the perception that there is a them and us by having a 'them' only event, station, or organization.

To remove race from the table, you must fully immerse yourself into the already blended culture we call being an American.

This could not be more true.

I am not a afraid to talk about race, it's just that a lot of people don't want to hear the truth about race. I am born and raised in the South, and from what I have seen in almost 40 years, guess which race won't let racism go? It's not the caucasian/asian/hispanic race, I'll tell you that much.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    No one wants to be called a racist.

It bothers me that it is PC to have[insert ethnic minority] only organizations or people to wear FUBU T shirts, but If I wore the the same shirt or make an orgainzation in just put white in where [ethnic minority] was I'd be labeled a racists redneck and run off.

It bothers me that so many people are increasing their power by increasing racial tensions and increasing racial solidarity.

The thing is, I don't know how we fix it.

Castrolr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    i don't understand the term AFRICAN american.. when you're not from africa, neither is your parents or your grandparents. the only african american i know is Charlise Theron

Top Bottom