• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you are just looking for a stockpile for the "hits the fan" scenario, I would recommend - with a couple of exceptions - any US made ammo. The exceptions would be Fiocchi (although some of theirs is US made) and IMI. I have never had a problem with either.
    Hurley's Gold

caliburn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    Houston
    I am an infrequent shooter. I shoot enough to keep my skills up to where I am safe, but not much more than that.

I have recently decided to begin building an ammo supply for the future, purchasing ammo each week in small amounts and storing it.

While browsing last night, I saw prices for a box of 45ACP from $17 to well over $30. Same kind of thing for 9mm, .308 and 5.56 (Different prices ranges of course).

I know that there are reasons for the higher priced ammo: accuracy, reliability, velocity, effectiveness, etc. But I am under the impression that these attributes, when it comes to general use, are essentially splitting hairs and the higher prices are for those who want the very best performance...the top 1% of performance, more of less. All I'm looking for is the hypothetical Zombie killing effectiveness.

So my question is, when it comes to ammo, where is the sweet spot between unreliable garbage and Match grade ammo that wins you prizes?

Addendum: I'm not necessary looking for where to buy, but what grade to buy.

Thx all

Try out some different brands in your firearms to see what your guns cycle reliably.

What grade to buy is hard because there's cheap and name brands, and not all name brands or marketing work well in all guns. Remington ammo for example, the have 223 soft points that might not cycle well in some AR or other semi-auto platforms, while their golden saber handgun ammo seems ok in almost all handguns...

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I am an infrequent shooter. I shoot enough to keep my skills up to where I am safe, but not much more than that.

I have recently decided to begin building an ammo supply for the future, purchasing ammo each week in small amounts and storing it.

While browsing last night, I saw prices for a box of 45ACP from $17 to well over $30. Same kind of thing for 9mm, .308 and 5.56 (Different prices ranges of course).

I know that there are reasons for the higher priced ammo: accuracy, reliability, velocity, effectiveness, etc. But I am under the impression that these attributes, when it comes to general use, are essentially splitting hairs and the higher prices are for those who want the very best performance...the top 1% of performance, more of less. All I'm looking for is the hypothetical Zombie killing effectiveness.

So my question is, when it comes to ammo, where is the sweet spot between unreliable garbage and Match grade ammo that wins you prizes?

Addendum: I'm not necessary looking for where to buy, but what grade to buy.

Thx all
    also you need bare minimum of 200 rounds a month and 10 minutes of dryfire a week too keep shooting skills up to acceptable standards.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    well you said zombies, so...
    View attachment 390913

Jokes aside it's actually good stuff. The polymer filled hollow point allows for better function in some semi-autos but it still expands nicely.

Get name brand ammo that says it's for self defense. You want to practice and check for function and accuracy with your self defense ammo, but get "ball" or FMJ for volume practice.

Ditto. I buy lower end US made FMJs for practice, and HPs for home defense. Generally, those 20 round boxes are a little cheaper per box (but not per round). But the rounds are good for defense rounds. However, you should shoot some of the HPs periodically to make sure you are accurate with them. They will usually have a different impact point than the FMJs. You have to shoot some to know where that is.

I stay away from the steel case ammo, except for the 7.62 x 39.

ETA, welcome aboard.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Good sound advice above, I too roll my own, and those of us that do test even more extensively, so don't discount that MAJOR piece of advice.
    d297d9da8b5ecd416c12a14a0ce88564.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    One thing you may overlook if not as experienced, if you have more than one manufacturer or design in same caliber test it or them as a separate entity!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    For target practice/plinking ammo I find any name brand FMJ works just fine (Federal, Magtech, CCI, PMC, Winchester, Browning, Fiocchi, Aguila, Monarch, etc). I usually go with a name brand that happens to be on sale.

As far as self defense ammo I am a tad pickier and willing to spend a bit more. I personally use Federal HST and Sig Elite JHP. I check out ballistic videos, and check out other data. I do test a few magazines through my carry pistol to make sure it works reliably.

Practice ammo is definitely more cost efficient if you’re buying in cases of 1000. A few online retailers give free s/h for purchases of over $200.

For small amounts just check for deals at nearby ranges, gun dealers, or sporting goods shops. Small amounts tend to be more expensive online once s/h is factored in.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    That is a relatively simple, and yet complex, answer.

The simple and short answer is, whatever works for you, the gun, and the mission.

The complex answer is, hours upon days and weeks of reading, watching, testing, and word of mouth, etc., etc., and so on.

If I can, I'll start with the crappiest and cheapest, think WWB 115 Grn. for break-in, and move up to various brands and weights until it finds foods that it, and I like.

For instance, I have a Bersa TPR9 that hates most Hornady SD rounds, but loves Aquila 124 grn. HP rounds. It also loves the Black hills 124 grn. JHP rounds. But it chokes on most Remington ball ammo.

It's all about trial and error. And cost analysis.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I try to have at least 500-1000 rounds of premium ammo, good JHP ammo for pistols like Winchester ranger, Federal HST's or speer gold dots. Or good bonded soft points or OTM for rifles like gold dots, IMI razor core, black hills mk262.

For range ammo, i have no minimum because I've long since surpassed it, but for every 20 (or 50 for pistol/.22) rounds i shoot, i at least try tobuy 2-4 boxes (depending on caliber) to replace it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Well, at 61 I'm not a kid in Mom's basement.

The Zombie killer reference was simply a humorous way of indicating I'm not in competition shooting and simply need the round to take care of business when required. No jams, no misfires, etc.
    SIMPLY FIND A COOL DRY PLACE TO STORE YOUR AMMO IT DOESN'T GO BAD OVER TIME IT WILL KEEP FOR DECADES IF STORED PROPERLY!

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    I would echo something @deemus mention, which is making sure you actually shoot enough of the defensive ammo you are going to carry and make sure you buy enough of it to at least fill every magazine you have for your weapons (bare minimum). I try to shoot at least a couple rounds to a full mag of the good stuff each time I go shooting.

That being said, I am one of those crazy people who would buy bulk from some of the reloading outlets when the prices were low (LAX ammo, Freedom Munitions before the info leak, etc) and check to see if it worked in most of my guns. The ones that worked in most, I buy more, the ones that don't, I don't. I would shoot a little from each batch and then store the rest if no issues. Saves a ton of space on storage compared to boxes (2 to 3 times to space for same number of rounds) and easy to keep long term with a pack of silica thrown it. I have freedom munitions ammo I think that is 15 years old and still shoots great.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

Fiocchi, American Eagle, Sig Sauer. Even Blazer Brass is pretty good. But for stock piling reliable ammunition, Fiocchi and American Eagle are my preferred brands. Really, anything made by Federal is good. Not really any major brands I would call garbage, I just don't like Remington or Winchester in pistol calibers.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Almost all the handgun ammo I shoot, I make. I cast my own bullets, load my own ammo.

Right now, flexing on my stockpile, I can load 9mm or 45 ACP for under $6/100.
    Sure if you have primers and powder from pre COVID, and melt your own bullets. Not really realistic for a discussion today…

Top Bottom