• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I am an infrequent shooter. I shoot enough to keep my skills up to where I am safe, but not much more than that.

I have recently decided to begin building an ammo supply for the future, purchasing ammo each week in small amounts and storing it.

While browsing last night, I saw prices for a box of 45ACP from $17 to well over $30. Same kind of thing for 9mm, .308 and 5.56 (Different prices ranges of course).

I know that there are reasons for the higher priced ammo: accuracy, reliability, velocity, effectiveness, etc. But I am under the impression that these attributes, when it comes to general use, are essentially splitting hairs and the higher prices are for those who want the very best performance...the top 1% of performance, more of less. All I'm looking for is the hypothetical Zombie killing effectiveness.

So my question is, when it comes to ammo, where is the sweet spot between unreliable garbage and Match grade ammo that wins you prizes?

Addendum: I'm not necessary looking for where to buy, but what grade to buy.

Thx all
    These days, as long as you are buying from a reputable seller and not some guy at a gun show, there isn’t really a bad brand to get.

I’ll tell you this…buy all your ammo from Sam at www.SGAmmo.com and you will be fine. They don’t sell garbage.

Buy cheapest stuff for range work and stacking for disasters, and JHP for carry, and you will be fine. All orders over $200 ship free and you’ll get it in a few days tops… Great business!

Local to you in Pflugerville is GT Distributors…anything they sell can be trusted as well.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Another option is to start an account at Ammo Squared. Prices are not better than SGAmmo but better than retail. You just pick the category and send them whatever amount you want each month. They accumulate it and ship it to you when requested. Orders over $250 ship free.

I generally buy in bulk from SGAmmo personally but am considering an ammo squared account t for the oddball stuff I don’t buy much of like .223 match, 30-30 and .243

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I would echo something @deemus mention, which is making sure you actually shoot enough of the defensive ammo you are going to carry and make sure you buy enough of it to at least fill every magazine you have for your weapons (bare minimum). I try to shoot at least a couple rounds to a full mag of the good stuff each time I go shooting.

That being said, I am one of those crazy people who would buy bulk from some of the reloading outlets when the prices were low (LAX ammo, Freedom Munitions before the info leak, etc) and check to see if it worked in most of my guns. The ones that worked in most, I buy more, the ones that don't, I don't. I would shoot a little from each batch and then store the rest if no issues. Saves a ton of space on storage compared to boxes (2 to 3 times to space for same number of rounds) and easy to keep long term with a pack of silica thrown it. I have freedom munitions ammo I think that is 15 years old and still shoots great.
    Those reloads work great for practice rounds.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Sure if you have primers and powder from pre COVID, and melt your own bullets. Not really realistic for a discussion today…

I'm still using primers I bought to Texas 10 years ago. The powder I'm using I bought in 2015.

This is the fourth, or maybe the fifth, ammo/panic I've lived through. I learned during the first one that when times are good, buy it cheap and stack it deep.

When prices settle down this time I'll be buying. I need to get my primer stocks back up to around 70K of each size. That's not hard to do if you buy a case or two a month. Powder....I doubt I really need to buy any powder at this point...but when the stuff I use/want becomes available I'll be buying by the keg.

I usually split orders with buddies. Ordering 10-20k of primers and 2-4 kegs of powder a month.

Of course, we'll never see the prices we had in 2019, inflation makes sure of that. But prices still have a ways to come down. I'm getting emails almost daily for primers at $60/1000. This is still above my buy point. They hit $50/1000 and I start buying. They drop to $45/1000 and I'll be buying a bunch.

With announced price increases for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 primers should be around $42-$45/1000.

What would make me really happy is what happened in 2012/2013 happens again. Everyone had been ordering primers and not receiving them. Then all at once primers started shipping. A couple of my LGS at the time had cases of primers stacked 4' tall down all the aisles of the store. $80 a case. No limit.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I'm still using primers I bought to Texas 10 years ago. The powder I'm using I bought in 2015.

This is the fourth, or maybe the fifth, ammo/panic I've lived through. I learned during the first one that when times are good, buy it cheap and stack it deep.

When prices settle down this time I'll be buying. I need to get my primer stocks back up to around 70K of each size. That's not hard to do if you buy a case or two a month. Powder....I doubt I really need to buy any powder at this point...but when the stuff I use/want becomes available I'll be buying by the keg.

I usually split orders with buddies. Ordering 10-20k of primers and 2-4 kegs of powder a month.

Of course, we'll never see the prices we had in 2019, inflation makes sure of that. But prices still have a ways to come down. I'm getting emails almost daily for primers at $60/1000. This is still above my buy point. They hit $50/1000 and I start buying. They drop to $45/1000 and I'll be buying a bunch.

With announced price increases for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 primers should be around $42-$45/1000.

What would make me really happy is what happened in 2012/2013 happens again. Everyone had been ordering primers and not receiving them. Then all at once primers started shipping. A couple of my LGS at the time had cases of primers stacked 4' tall down all the aisles of the store. $80 a case. No limit.
    Where are you seeing primers under $80/1000? Guess I’m looking in all the wrong places.

I do understand there as a time they were $30/1000 and powder under $20 a pound. I started back up reloading in 2020 after a 30 year hiatus and I’ve done okay with some things but definitely not primers.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Where are you seeing primers under $80/1000? Guess I’m looking in all the wrong places.

I do understand there as a time they were $30/1000 and powder under $20 a pound. I started back up reloading in 2020 after a 30 year hiatus and I’ve done okay with some things but definitely not primers.

I'm getting daily emails with primers for $60/1000

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    also you need bare minimum of 200 rounds a month and 10 minutes of dryfire a week too keep shooting skills up to acceptable standards.
    Let me add a BIG second endorsement for earlier post about using ammoseek.com
    also you need bare minimum of 200 rounds a month and 10 minutes of dryfire a week too keep shooting skills up to acceptable standards.
    If you can support your local retailers for ammo but also shop ammoseek.com which can help in the decision what to buy/where.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Target sports and sgammo are the best out there. Just avoid gunshow or other commercial reloads, especially if you're buying ammo for a 40 cal. I was shooting with a friend when some LAX reloads blew the extractor off his sig from a case rupture. I'm still thankful to this day that I was standing behind him at the firing line or I might have an extractor in the side of my head.

If you stick with Remington, Winchester, CCI or S&B you'll be plenty satisfied. Just avoid aluminum cased anything if you bet your life on it. Steel will run dirty and striker fired guns won't always set it off on the first strike.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Target sports and sgammo are the best out there. Just avoid gunshow or other commercial reloads, especially if you're buying ammo for a 40 cal. I was shooting with a friend when some LAX reloads blew the extractor off his sig from a case rupture. I'm still thankful to this day that I was standing behind him at the firing line or I might have an extractor in the side of my head.

If you stick with Remington, Winchester, CCI or S&B you'll be plenty satisfied. Just avoid aluminum cased anything if you bet your life on it. Steel will run dirty and striker fired guns won't always set it off on the first strike.
    im rather fond of SG Ammo myself

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I am an infrequent shooter. I shoot enough to keep my skills up to where I am safe, but not much more than that.

I have recently decided to begin building an ammo supply for the future, purchasing ammo each week in small amounts and storing it.

While browsing last night, I saw prices for a box of 45ACP from $17 to well over $30. Same kind of thing for 9mm, .308 and 5.56 (Different prices ranges of course).

I know that there are reasons for the higher priced ammo: accuracy, reliability, velocity, effectiveness, etc. But I am under the impression that these attributes, when it comes to general use, are essentially splitting hairs and the higher prices are for those who want the very best performance...the top 1% of performance, more of less. All I'm looking for is the hypothetical Zombie killing effectiveness.

So my question is, when it comes to ammo, where is the sweet spot between unreliable garbage and Match grade ammo that wins you prizes?

Addendum: I'm not necessary looking for where to buy, but what grade to buy.

Thx all

From the AmmoLand blog;

When it comes to ammunition, not all rounds are created equal. However, there’s a common misconception among gun owners, particularly the less experienced ones, about the interchangeable use of range and self-defense ammunition. This notion could not be further from the truth, and understanding the critical differences is essential for anyone serious about their firearm proficiency and safety.

Range ammunition, like full metal jacket (FMJ) or fragmenting rounds, is generally unsuitable for self-defense. Although it’s tempting to consider range ammo due to its lower cost and availability, this decision could be detrimental in a real-world scenario. But why?

Attachments

• Federal-Premium-Punch-9mm-Bullet-600x412.jpg
      Federal-Premium-Punch-9mm-Bullet-600x412.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 18
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2023
    Lakeway
    Really, you would be hard pressed to find any commercial ammo (NOT remanufactured ammo) that is junk. Pretty much all the major manufacturers have it down pretty good by now.

I suggest finding a practice load at a good price and then match that round to a common hollowpoint in the same caliber/bullet weight, not neccesarily by the same manufacturer. Buy a lot of the former and a fair supply of the latter.

For example, I carry 165 gr Gold Dot hollowpoints. I practice with 165 gr CCI Lawman. Both shoot to the same point of aim and have the same felt recoil.

Top Bottom