Ammo Counter at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by CrazedJava, Oct 11, 2013.

1. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known

Sep 5, 2013
    Ok, so now that Wal-Mart is stocking ammo again...

There aren't a lot of places in my area that stock ammo at decent prices. It's pretty much Wal-Mart and Academy, and there are a lot of Wal-Marts compared to Academy's around me. I get why Wal-Mart locks up their ammo. Anyone with a realistic perspective on human behavior and knowledge of your average Wal-Mart shopper knows EXACTLY why they have to lock up the ammo. So I'm fine with it.

Except, the best time for me to go browse is lunch time at work. At the local Wal-Mart the guy who runs sporting goods also goes to lunch right around the same time. Awesome customer service there Wal-Mart! If it were just me I'd shrug me shoulders and deal with it, but there are always a number of people walking around trying to find someone working.

Look, as a former retail slob I get it that the guy wants eat lunch like the rest of us. But when I worked retail you couldn't take off during your busy hours, so your meal times were scheduled during anticipated slow periods.

I know, I know, this is Wal-Mart. They might as well be yelling that while kicking people in the chest. Still, this is such a simple problem to solve. I've gotten to the point where I just don't care and if I happen to be there (I typically just go to Academy these days) and see something I want I harass the locals to they find someone with the keys. I'm hoping that if I do that often enough they'll get the hint. (Doubt it). The upside has been whenever there is a line of us, and there usually is, the other guys let me have first pick since I found the person with the keys. It's a nice gesture but I usually let whoever was there first pick first.

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You can't imagine the number of times I have gone to Wal-Mart & had to look for the person with the ONE key for the ammo case.
    I have even been there when it was found the person with the ONE key had taken it with them on their break, leaving the store with it.
  3. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
  4. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    Me too ^^^^^^***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  5. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

Yep, except I became good friends with one guy who worked there and he'd call me up when a shipment came in and stash some ammo for me :-)
  6. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My view in the subject:

I go to Walmart when I want to pay as little as possible and understand that I am trading off any thing that resembles customer service for the cheaper price.

It's the nature of retail business. Pay more, get better quality or better customer service, pay a lot more and get both, pay a lot less and get neither.

Walmart has the option if cheap ammo with no customer service for a very cheap price or decent ammo with no customer service a little cheaper than other places.

I buy my guns from local gun stores because customer service is very important in those situations. I might have questions I want answered.

I buy my ammo at Walmart because its cheap and I know what I want. I save a little by hunting down the minimum wage worker who has wondered away from the counter to stock shelves or eat lunch (or talk to the girl in electronics).

Walmart has made huge profits by appealing to the no CS/cheap crap market. Can't expect them to change their business plan for one area of goods and it probably wouldn't gain them any new customers anyways.
  7. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    My wally world has a "press for assistance" button at the gun counter.

It works.
  8. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    Yours is the only one.
  9. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    there is hardly ever anybody in sporting goods. I almost always got to go to automotive.
  10. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    I've never seen one.