• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Ok, so now that Wal-Mart is stocking ammo again...

There aren't a lot of places in my area that stock ammo at decent prices. It's pretty much Wal-Mart and Academy, and there are a lot of Wal-Marts compared to Academy's around me. I get why Wal-Mart locks up their ammo. Anyone with a realistic perspective on human behavior and knowledge of your average Wal-Mart shopper knows EXACTLY why they have to lock up the ammo. So I'm fine with it.

Except, the best time for me to go browse is lunch time at work. At the local Wal-Mart the guy who runs sporting goods also goes to lunch right around the same time. Awesome customer service there Wal-Mart! If it were just me I'd shrug me shoulders and deal with it, but there are always a number of people walking around trying to find someone working.

Look, as a former retail slob I get it that the guy wants eat lunch like the rest of us. But when I worked retail you couldn't take off during your busy hours, so your meal times were scheduled during anticipated slow periods.

I know, I know, this is Wal-Mart. They might as well be yelling that while kicking people in the chest. Still, this is such a simple problem to solve. I've gotten to the point where I just don't care and if I happen to be there (I typically just go to Academy these days) and see something I want I harass the locals to they find someone with the keys. I'm hoping that if I do that often enough they'll get the hint. (Doubt it). The upside has been whenever there is a line of us, and there usually is, the other guys let me have first pick since I found the person with the keys. It's a nice gesture but I usually let whoever was there first pick first.
    Gun Zone Deals

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You can't imagine the number of times I have gone to Wal-Mart & had to look for the person with the ONE key for the ammo case.
    I have even been there when it was found the person with the ONE key had taken it with them on their break, leaving the store with it.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    you can't imagine the number of times i have gone to wal-mart & had to look for the person with the one key for the ammo case.
    I have even been there when it was found the person with the one key had taken it with them on their break, leaving the store with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this!

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    You can't imagine the number of times I have gone to Wal-Mart & had to look for the person with the ONE key for the ammo case.
    I have even been there when it was found the person with the ONE key had taken it with them on their break, leaving the store with it.

Me too ^^^^^^***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My view in the subject:

I go to Walmart when I want to pay as little as possible and understand that I am trading off any thing that resembles customer service for the cheaper price.

It's the nature of retail business. Pay more, get better quality or better customer service, pay a lot more and get both, pay a lot less and get neither.

Walmart has the option if cheap ammo with no customer service for a very cheap price or decent ammo with no customer service a little cheaper than other places.

I buy my guns from local gun stores because customer service is very important in those situations. I might have questions I want answered.

I buy my ammo at Walmart because its cheap and I know what I want. I save a little by hunting down the minimum wage worker who has wondered away from the counter to stock shelves or eat lunch (or talk to the girl in electronics).

Walmart has made huge profits by appealing to the no CS/cheap crap market. Can't expect them to change their business plan for one area of goods and it probably wouldn't gain them any new customers anyways.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My wally world has a "press for assistance" button at the gun counter.

It works.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I go to Walmart when I want to pay as little as possible and understand that I am trading off any thing that resembles customer service for the cheaper price.

It's the nature of retail business. Pay more, get better quality or better customer service, pay a lot more and get both, pay a lot less and get neither.

Walmart has the option if cheap ammo with no customer service for a very cheap price or decent ammo with no customer service a little cheaper than other places.

I buy my guns from local gun stores because customer service is very important in those situations. I might have questions I want answered.

I buy my ammo at Walmart because its cheap and I know what I want. I save a little by hunting down the minimum wage worker who has wondered away from the counter to stock shelves or eat lunch (or talk to the girl in electronics).

Walmart has made huge profits by appealing to the no CS/cheap crap market. Can't expect them to change their business plan for one area of goods and it probably wouldn't gain them any new customers anyways.

No argument here at all. I know what I'm getting into.

On the other hand, I have worked in many organizations where something has been bad and everyone has shrugged and said "It is what it is". I've been the one to get change rolling and basically told others that just because something sucks doesn't mean it always has to suck.

I don't expect Wal-mart to substantially improve customer service, but hearing how the only person with keys is walking out of the store with them is downright infuriating. Not to mention other stores get substantially more business from me because the convenience of actually being able to get what I want is usually worth the $0.10 to $1 price difference in goods. I wonder how much MORE money Wal-Mart could make if they didn't make the customer experience so damn miserable.

Granted, they are currently the biggest retailer in the world so why would they care?

Still makes it annoying as all get out though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No argument here at all. I know what I'm getting into.

On the other hand, I have worked in many organizations where something has been bad and everyone has shrugged and said "It is what it is". I've been the one to get change rolling and basically told others that just because something sucks doesn't mean it always has to suck.

I don't expect Wal-mart to substantially improve customer service, but hearing how the only person with keys is walking out of the store with them is downright infuriating. Not to mention other stores get substantially more business from me because the convenience of actually being able to get what I want is usually worth the $0.10 to $1 price difference in goods. I wonder how much MORE money Wal-Mart could make if they didn't make the customer experience so damn miserable.

Granted, they are currently the biggest retailer in the world so why would they care?

Still makes it annoying as all get out though.

I see your point about the keys. On the other hand, there were a ton of threads about Walmart employees hiding ammo, reselling, etc during the shortage. Imagine how often you would have found those magical stray boxes on the shelf at WW if everyone walking around had a key.

I'm not saying it isn't frustrating at times, just that it is the choice we make. Yes, Walmart could get better people or another person to man the counter, but that would increase over head which would be passed to the consumer and then you might as well pay the slightly higher price at academy instead.

I've also found that by going to the automotive counter I can usually get somebody out to unlock the case and get what I need.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Automotive counter for me too. At least, since the ammo is locked up, nobody can snag it off of the shelf while you're finding the person with the key.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I've never seen one.
    Sorry about that its my fault. I like to push buttons, repeatedly. If I find one in a Wal Mart I will push it until someone asks me if they can help me. I say no and start pressing the button again. After about 30 more mins they ask me to go away. And then next time I visit the button is gone.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    I heard at a conference this year that businesses that are profitable and good at what they do aren't afraid to be bad at some aspect of the business. She used Walmart as an example. They have chosen to be bad at customer service and will not entertain improving that aspect of their operations. They won't care to take care of the consumer, because there are plenty more behind them that won't bat an eye at crappy service to get their cheap goods.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Sorry about that its my fault. I like to push buttons, repeatedly. If I find one in a Wal Mart I will push it until someone asks me if they can help me. I say no and start pressing the button again. After about 30 more mins they ask me to go away. And then next time I visit the button is gone.

I needed help at the ammo counter yesterday. After standing around for ten minutes then searching the isles for employees, I picked up the sporting goods phone and tried calling three managers and even the security desk to no avail. Why on earth they don't have buttons to push is mind-boggling until you find out how incompetent the employees are from the top down.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I heard at a conference this year that businesses that are profitable and good at what they do aren't afraid to be bad at some aspect of the business. She used Walmart as an example. They have chosen to be bad at customer service and will not entertain improving that aspect of their operations. They won't care to take care of the consumer, because there are plenty more behind them that won't bat an eye at crappy service to get their cheap goods.

They take care of what the customer values which is cost. We as a whole are far more sensitive to cost than we are quality of goods or service.

Top Bottom