• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I bought a used skeeter the other day and want to know what ammo works in it. I have tried CCI Stingers and Velocitors that work great but Federal bulk wont cycle it or my GSG 1911.:banghead:
    Texas SOT

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Remington Makes 22 ammo called Yellow Jacket, it has worked for me before in stubborn and picky guns
    Also, Winchester has a Super-X High Velocity 22 for hunting that works very well for me.

you just have to realize that some guns like your Sig and a Walther a friend of mine gave me to look at last week just require premium ammo
    and the bulk pack ammo might not cycle well in them.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Everything I've heard about the Mosquito is it likes the CCI. My wife has one and that's all we try to feed hers anymore. We've had mixed luck with some brands, but typically the bulk stuff causes issues in them.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If Stingers and Velocitors work well in it, try some CCI High Velocity...solid or hollow point. They should work equally as well and generally cost less than the hyper vel rounds. I would stay away from the bulk ammo, mainly Golden Bullets.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Try some CCI Mini-Mags.

Skeeters can be finicky, as are most newer pattern .22 semi-automatic hand guns.

Fore some unknown reason, my 30+ year old Ruger MKII digests every thing I have ever fed it.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I'm guna leave the bulk to my 10/22 and lever action and try the suggestions on here. I didn't know it was that picky when I bought it but now know better.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    My Skeeter will shoot Federal Target and other ammo, but I gotta run it really wet. I liberally fill the lube point on the right side of the slide (as seen below) with Remington oil before and during shooting...

IMG_3374a.jpg

It considerably improves my gun's ability to cycle reliably!

Cheers! M2

Mxfreak_24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Keller, TX
    We have one at the range I work at and it only likes CCI Mini-Mag. I'm pretty sure it even says to run it in the owners manual.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    We have one at the range I work at and it only likes CCI Mini-Mag. I'm pretty sure it even says to run it in the owners manual.

I have the PDF version of the manual, here is what it says...

The .22 LR ammunition spectrum ranges from very light loads for single loader guns to sport load, utility load and on through to high speed
    rounds. Unfortunately, however, it is not possible to adjust a semi-automatic gun to all loads. We have therefore decided to make an adjustment
    to the loads that have priority for use with the MOSQUITO, which are the two major groups, utility and high-speed rounds. So to increase the round compatibility, we provide two slide springs for every pistol. The bigger bored version is designed for high-speed loads and is fitted in the pistol with delivery. The simple coiled smaller spring (marked white) is for standard loads and is supplied with the pistol.

Tip: It has been proven that many types of utility rounds function more smoothly if the rounds are lightly oiled.

I also found the following soon after I got mine...

Ammo

I have found using Federal Auto Match (AM22) and CCI Mini-mags to be the most reliable ammo in the Mosquito. The Federal AM22 ammo needs less force to make it go boom. Anyone having light strike problems should try this ammo. Also placing a drop of oil in the hole on the side of the slide near the safety lever to lubricate the firing pin helps too. The Mosquito needs time to get broken in. These are the two types of ammo I recommend using at least for break in time. That could be as little as a couple hundred rounds or as much as 1,000. After that you might want to try some other ammo to see what works for you. I have found no difference in how the HP and solid Mini-mags function in this gun. You may find that one Mosquito will shoot better with a certain ammo and another one will do better with another. This is true for many rim fire guns. The AM22 and Mini-mags seem to cycle better then most. My Sport Model shoots the best with CCI Pistol Match or CCI SV. CCI Green Tag works about the same as the SV in these short barrels, but the cost difference is a lot. The AM22 are close behind. I do get some light loads with the AM22 that affect the accuracy. They seem to cycle fine and I have had very few duds. The duds are about 1 in every 15 boxes or so. It makes good plinking ammo.

When you are going to try different ammo I suggest using the drop test to see if it is going to give you problems prior to shooting it. The drop test is easy to do. First field strip your pistol. Point the barrel straight down then drop in the round you plan to use. If it seats all the way and tipping it up drops out it probably will work. If it doesn't drop all the way in or come out on its own weight you will probably have problems.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I have owned 3 of them (that I can remember). Bought a new one from Bud's, and a couple off the forum (including the one I sold to Majormadmax). All of them have run great with Rem Golden Bullet. The new one from Bud's of course recommended CCI but in trying out several different brands, the golden bullets ran flawlessly time and time again. Didn't run a bunch of rounds through Max's but again, it did like the GB. Recently picked up another from a forum member and it too likes the golden bullets. I recommend giving several different flavors of ammo a try as some skeeters (at least in my experience) can surprise you with what they like to eat!

Top Bottom