Join TexasGunTalk

Ammo for GSG firefly?

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by Ejmorrison, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Ejmorrison

Ejmorrison New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Pickton
    Hi everyone. I recently acquired a GSG Firefly (same as Sig mosquito) and I have found that it will jam on the next to last shot. Unless I use cci or Remington thunderbolt ammo. Anybody else notice this problem? Other than that, I absolutely love the gun.

2. cporfe

cporfe Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Austin
    I have one too. Although I've only shot it once, I used CCI and Aquila high speeds and didn't have any problems after the first 50 rounds. Sort of a break in period. Altogether I put 300 rounds through it at the NRA Range in Fairfax, VA, where I lived before I moved here to Austin this past summer. I also bought some new, old stock SIG Mosquito magazines and they worked fine. Don't know exactly why yours would jam at the end of the magazine.

Not much help but at least we both have nice shooting guns.

Chris

jjkukla likes this.
  3. Ejmorrison

Ejmorrison New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Pickton
    I did some further research since posting and found that you can mitigate a lot of the failure to eject/failure to fully load by grinding down and polishing the feed ramp. It's a 2 piece design and at least on mine it was not very refined. I ground it and polished it up and now I can shoot most brands through it. I shot about 100 rounds of Remington golden bullet value pack through it and it didn't jam once. Whereas before it would almost always jam with those.

4. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I really like the mosquito, but have read about too many problems with them...including close friends who know guns really well.

Curious to hear how these work out for you guys when you put some rounds thru them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Ejmorrison

Ejmorrison New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Pickton
    Here are a few pictures

Attached Files:

6. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    The trick to fixing it is trade it in for a ruger sr22.
    5D721E53-A701-4905-8ED5-78029B4674A0.gif

MTA89 and deemus like this.
  7. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have a SIG Skeeter that was problematic, but at the range a fellow shooter recommended I run it really wet (oiled) especially concentrating on the small hole in the side of the slide. Since I didn't have anything to lose, I oiled that sucker up and found it runs a lot more reliably. Might want to give that a try if you ever get one...

no2gates and pronstar like this.
  8. tonelar

tonelar Member

Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    mine had never given me a problem. first 500 rounds were minimags. it now runs reliably with those or the remi golden bullets.

yes, it definitely likes being oiled up.

9. Big Green

Big Green Well-Known

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I’m intrigued. Are those before or after pics and where exactly is the polishing done?

10. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It appears to be after polishing and firing (it is dirty). The feed ramp under the chamber is polished.