• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Possibly? The bcg, and upper stay cleaner but the carbon it blasted on the gas block and handguards. It's picking your poison - dirty bolt and carrier, or dirty gas block. It's like they moved the gas key to the gas block and off the carrier.

Better place for that gas and grime than in the chamber where that bolt with those tiny little lugs resides.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Better place for that gas and grime than in the chamber where that bolt with those tiny little lugs resides.
    Idk if better, but it is different. It has caused this problem. My feed ramps are spotless tho. When I clean I only have red laquer from the sealed bullets in there when I clean it. I will make sure it doesn't happen again.
    As far as weight issues - come to corpus and meet me at a gun range. Shoulder your and shoulder mine. There is no weight difference. Hold them both at arms length- no difference. We can put them on a scale if you want.

Im not going to make the argument that piston is better than di. I like it because it's coated in melonite. I like it better than the other piston designs.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Possibly? The bcg, and upper stay cleaner but the carbon it blasted on the gas block and handguards. It's picking your poison - dirty bolt and carrier, or dirty gas block. It's like they moved the gas key to the gas block and off the carrier.

Here is what I don't understand. I've never really seen or heard of a modern DI becoming completely inoperable due to carbon build up. I'm not particularly knowledgable on ARs, but from what I understand it seems like your rifle has a system designed to stop it from failing due to being overly dirty, because a DI gun can(haven't seen it happen) fail from being too dirty, and just went down because it was overly dirty. Am I confused?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Here is what I don't understand. I've never really seen or heard of a modern DI becoming completely inoperable due to carbon build up. I'm not particularly knowledgable on ARs, but from what I understand it seems like your rifle has a system designed to stop it from failing due to being overly dirty, because a DI gun can(haven't seen it happen) fail from being too dirty, and just went down because it was overly dirty. Am I confused?
    It didn't stop running. It was stored for a month and when I tried to run it again it didn't cycle. Could be corrosion could be carbon but the pieces are stuck together making it a bolt action until it gets the replacement parts. I'm not going to shoot it until the parts come in.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    It didn't stop running. It was stored for a month and when I tried to run it again it didn't cycle. Could be corrosion could be carbon but the pieces are stuck together making it a bolt action until it gets the replacement parts. I'm not going to shoot it until the parts come in.

Aside from thinking it was completely inoperable when it is operable if hand cycled, I was pretty much on the mark, right? For some reason it doesn't make sense that your gun went down this way. I'm not doubting you, it just boggles my mind that it created a problem by correcting a problem that I didn't know existed. I just can't get over that mental leap, I know it is what happened, but it makes no sense for it to have happened.

if Adams arms goes out of business does anyone else make the parts needed to correct your issue?

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Aside from thinking it was completely inoperable when it is operable if hand cycled, I was pretty much on the mark, right? For some reason it doesn't make sense that your gun went down this way. I'm not doubting you, it just boggles my mind that it created a problem by correcting a problem that I didn't know existed. I just can't get over that mental leap, I know it is what happened, but it makes no sense for it to have happened.

if Adams arms goes out of business does anyone else make the parts needed to correct your issue?
    Do you mean buying a carrier, gas block and gas tube? Everyone makes them.
    I bought the upper because it was melonite coated to resist corrosion. The piston system isn't a must have for me. It just came with it. Since it is under warranty it will keep being warranty repaired. If they go out of business no big deal. It's a few parts away from being a quality di upper.
    i like the piston system because I have it. It came with the upper. It makes cleaning parts easier. This is the only hiccup it's had.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I could be way off base here, and not trying to defend piston (think it has a place, but not generally needed or helpful), not even sure if his is considered a true "piston gun" based on an earlier post.

But, he did say he was shooting corrosive ammo. If that's the case and he didn't feel a need to clean the gun it could very well be the reason it seized up on him.

I don't know exactly how his gun works, but it would be a pita to do a full strip and clean of a standard AR every time it went to the range. Luckily, I rarely need to clean my DI system. It just keeps on keepin on.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Youre attacking someone (for some reason) that isnt a DI hating piston fanatic. Not really sure why.

Me: I'm sniping from the sidelines owning zero ARs but having had both DI and piston guns.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I could be way off base here, and not trying to defend piston (think it has a place, but not generally needed or helpful), not even sure if his is considered a true "piston gun" based on an earlier post.

But, he did say he was shooting corrosive ammo. If that's the case and he didn't feel a need to clean the gun it could very well be the reason it seized up on him.

I don't know exactly how his gun works, but it would be a pita to do a full strip and clean of a standard AR every time it went to the range. Luckily, I rarely need to clean my DI system. It just keeps on keepin on.
    I cleaned my ar like it was a di upper. Until I had this problem I didn't pull the gas system out of the front of the gas block for proper cleaning. I didn't know it was possible until I had this problem and youtubed the system and learned I could pull the gas system out through the gas block. Now that I know this I probably won't have a problem.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom