• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Youre attacking someone (for some reason) that isnt a DI hating piston fanatic. Not really sure why.

Me: I'm sniping from the sidelines owning zero ARs but having had both DI and piston guns.

Where did I attack anyone? I asked questions to address my confusion and he addressed them.
    Capitol Armory ad

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I could be way off base here, and not trying to defend piston (think it has a place, but not generally needed or helpful), not even sure if his is considered a true "piston gun" based on an earlier post.

But, he did say he was shooting corrosive ammo. If that's the case and he didn't feel a need to clean the gun it could very well be the reason it seized up on him.

I don't know exactly how his gun works, but it would be a pita to do a full strip and clean of a standard AR every time it went to the range. Luckily, I rarely need to clean my DI system. It just keeps on keepin on.

Thats part of where my confusion comes from. If the corrosive ammo caused rusting and since rusting causes expansion it would almost certainly lead to this seizure. However, I thought the whole thing was melonited which(I'm assuming) shouldn't have allowed any rusting.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Old, surplus, commie ammo burns very dirty, I suspect once all the gunk cooled off it acted as super glue. DI guns can malfuntion with that steel cased crap as well.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I don't know how it seized. I guess I never will because I'm getting replacement parts rather than figuring out the problem. It shouldn't be rust because of the coating but weirder shit has happened. My guess - CLP+remoil+Russian surplus carbon+corrosive salts= jb weld
    Anyone else with a piston - don't be an idiot and clean it like its a do gun. clean that piston shit. I hope u have a warranty. Just because your bolt is cleaner doesn't mean it won't stop going bang bang. That carbon does go somewhere.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I thought be were bashing piston guns, not recommending conversion kits...

Back on topic, PISTON GUNS SUCK!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes mechanical things fail. We all agree. I also know that the DI fans are skurred (scared) that their dirty nasty system from the 50's/60's is being replaced by an even older system. ---------> runs off to read a "why are ARs so popular?" debate.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, if I were scared I'd be stockpiling gas tubes and gas blocks.

Just a fad that will eventually pass for all except those have actually benefit from it, which doesn't include 99% of people.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    bybatubu.jpg

Top Bottom