Join TexasGunTalk

AMMO RESERVES STOCKS; A REALIZATION

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by leVieux, Mar 19, 2020.

1. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Too much of anything is relative.

Relative to wisdom and age.

Axxe55, V-Tach and Dad_Roman like this.
  2. leVieux

leVieux Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA

Err, I do have all those and more. But, if TSHTF, I'd like to have weapons which accept more common calibers of today, like current U S Military uses. Ergo, 5.56 & 9mm PB. And, if anyone is shooting at me, .22LR just won't do. All of this is highly unlikely for me, anyway. My Psychology Doc Daughter in Dallas would just analyze and say: "Daddy just thinks that new 9mm Ruger Carbine is cute, and he wants one now."
    leVieux

Glenn B and Dad_Roman like this.
  3. Axxe55

Axxe55 Well-Known

Dec 15, 2019
    none.......
    I see a huge difference between "preppers" and those who are prepared.

Preppers are stockpiling and making preparations for real or imagined events that might, or might not happen. They like to show off, or brag about their stuff.

Being prepared for events that can or will happen is entirely different. Keeping your mouth shut is the difference.

When we have bad storms, sometimes we can and have lost power for several days. When Hurricane Rita came through, we didn't suffer any real damage, but our electric company did suffer major damage well East of us. We were out of power for about twelve days. I ran the generator for the essentials, did most of the cooking outside, and it was almost like camping out. We didn't have internet or TV satellite, but I was able to have radio and did hook up the TV and we were able to watch DVD movies.

4. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US

How does the average person adequately "prepare" for a Black Swan?

(hint: rhetorical question; nobody can, except maybe time travellers)

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 Well-Known

Dec 15, 2019
    none.......
    I have no idea what you are talking about, so I have no clue where to even begin to prepare for such a thing.

CyberWolf and TxStetson like this.
  6. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
  7. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Kinda the point!

toddnjoyce likes this.
  8. Axxe55

Axxe55 Well-Known

Dec 15, 2019
    none.......
    That's why you have really good insurance!

9. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    You may have meant it as a rhetorical question but I think you can prepare for anything even a totally unexpected catastrophic situation. How? The same way you prepare for anything else. You prepare for the worst imaginable catastrophe you can think of and do whatever you think (and are able to do) that it would take to help you get through it as far as training, practicing, stockpiling, sheltering and attitude go. When the black swan arrives - you improvise as best you can with what you have. Mindset is a big thing regarding survival, one of the most important if not the most important. Plan for a real Zombie Apocalypse or an actual alien invasion (will they happen - probably not in a million years except on sci-fi television but something as bad may actually take place). If you prepare for them though, then maybe you'll have a chance at shooting down that black swan.

Axxe55 likes this.
  10. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Introduced my daughter to the "Preppers" show over the weekend. One family was prepping for an F5 tornado, but didn't have anything underground. They were beginning construction of an underground bunker, but they literally were just starting. They had all their stuff and nowhere to put it.

In fact, of the three episodes we watched they all had a ton of stuff and no where, or insufficient space to put it. But they all had a willingness to shoot someone.

Axxe55 likes this.