• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Okay guys, I am building up a supply of range ammo and I am wondering would it be safe in my garage during the summer months. Just to be clear I am talking about the Texas heat and humidity here in San Antone mostly not theft. Any special storage considerations I need to be aware of?
    Gun Zone Deals

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    Most ammo can withstand storage temperatures from minus 65 degrees F. to 122 F. I have left ammo in the car during the summer where temps reached 130+F with no real problem but that was short term. Your biggest problem is humidity, Your ammo needs to be kept dry. I would suggest using military ammo cans that have a good rubber seal in them and toss in a couple of the anti-moisture packs to make sure that they stay dry. I dont know how big of a problem summer temps will be so maybe some one else can answer that question.

jt526

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2009
    Richardson
    Ammo cans is good advice there above. For bulk storage of a lot of ammo that you aren't going to be moving around, try the 30mm cans. They get darn near impossible to move when filled up, but hold a ton. The .50 cal sized cans a good for separating out into calibers and labeling with date of purchase. You can fit about 500 rds of 7.62 in one, about 3500 rounds of 22lr, etc. The smaller cans, the .50 and .30 cal sizes "talk" a bit during temperature changes but it doesn't mean they lost their seal, there is just some pinging going on as the interior pressure fluctuates. Also, Tidy Cat Crystals 100% silica gel beads cat litter is a perfectly good desiccant.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I keep all my extra ammo in ammo cans in a gun safe in my garage with no dehumidifiers. I have been doing this for years with no ill effects.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i always through those luittle silica gel packets in with my ammo.
    go dumspter diving behoind the hospitals and find the cases they get ultrasound transducers in. ive got 7 of those, and as i understand it they just throw them away when they are done with them (i got mine from a relative who used to be an ultrasound tech) . they make for good pistol / optics cases too if you leave the eggshell padding in them. plus they are beta gamma and EM radiation sheilded.
    (atleast i think thats what those symbols on the cases mean)

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    WolfWood do you have pics of those cases by chance?
    i always through those luittle silica gel packets in with my ammo.
    go dumspter diving behoind the hospitals and find the cases they get ultrasound transducers in. ive got 7 of those, and as i understand it they just throw them away when they are done with them (i got mine from a relative who used to be an ultrasound tech) . they make for good pistol / optics cases too if you leave the eggshell padding in them. plus they are beta gamma and EM radiation sheilded.
    (atleast i think thats what those symbols on the cases mean)

Top Bottom