Ammo suggestions

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by lonestar, Nov 23, 2009.

1. lonestar

lonestar Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brownwood, Texas
    What would be the best ammo for HD and CCW on a xd sc .40? Any ideas out there?

2. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Lots of choices your best bet though is something that your gun will cycle the best.For what its worth I either carry Remington Golden Sabers or Federal Expanding FMJ's

3. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I personally like Hornady TAP ammo, but any brand name FACTORY hollow point ammo should work. Most people, myself included, recommend a 200 round trial/ gun break in for anything you may need to use. Handloads are good for practice, but not good for self defense.

Shot placement is the biggest key to effectiveness, so practice up. A fmj to the torso is better than a hollow point to the dirt.

4. codygjohnson

codygjohnson Eats breakfast everyday Lifetime Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    After reading a billion test reports on pistol ammo, I like Federal’s HST, newer Golden Sabers or anything loaded with Barnes XPB. Stay away from Federal's Hydra Shock, Winchester's SXT and pre 2008 Golden Sabers (before the bonded core).

5. The beauty of an XD is that it will eat just about anything you try to feed it. I have a .40sc too, and I swear the thing would feed wooden kiddie blocks if I could stuff 'em in the mag.

For carry, I use Ranger LE hollow points.

6. lonestar

lonestar Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brownwood, Texas
    Roger. Thanks for your posts guys! I was hearing lots of good things from my buddies about the federal hydra shock, can you explain why to stay away from them cody?

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The Hydra shocks are what I carry in my XD .40 service on armed sites as my "duty" ammo. The thing that he is likely talking about is their tendency to clog and not expand. The "flying ash trays" or "old cop bullets" are a good choice IMHO but I've heard great things about the gold dots and I will likely make the switch if they shoot good out of my particular weapon. I have shot cedar stumps with them and have indeed found a few that were not fully expanded but that is hardly a legitimate test of how they will preform on a human target. What do you carry for DPS? It's Corbons or gold dots isn't it? I would look into that and try a little bit of everything and carry the one that is the most accurate out of your carry weapon rather than by the test results. I use the test results to get a few different brands together and start shooting until I find the brand that flies the best out of my gun. I carry 180 gr hydra shocks, I like the 180 gr as opposed to the 165s. But they sell allot of 165 gr carry ammo.

8. codygjohnson

codygjohnson Eats breakfast everyday Lifetime Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Bingo. I don't even think Federal makes them anymore, do they? More than a few labs have shown them to be worthless after hitting denim. But I guess if you're gonna use them, keep the sights above the Jordache... One of the big gun mags did a story about the top 10 pistol cartridges back in 98/99, if I remember correctly. Number 1 was .40 caliber Federal 155gr Hydra Shock, which was shown to be the “best” bullet to stop someone. Something like a 94% chance of incapacitating someone within 10 steps after a center of mass hit. I had just bought a Glock 23 and went right out searching for 155 grain Hydra Shocks (bought 4 boxes). Years later, I re-read the article and something stood out. It was done using bare gelatin.

When it comes down to it, it’s really hard to know what a good bullet would be to top the “perfect” ammunition. I’d feel a lot better if I had the ability to do some testing myself, as I really don’t like getting knowledge through the internet on a test that some so-called scientist did. Everybody is going to have a different opinion on what is good and what is bad, but at the end of the day, you’re the only one that YOU have to convince.

The DPS is/has phased out their Sig 9mm's and .45's. They're carrying the Sig P226 in .357sig.

9. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Sounds like we need to dress up a pig in Levis and have some target practice, after all pork is as close to human flesh as any of the animal world.

10. hkusp1

hkusp1 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    whatever you do dont fall for the extreme shock hype. i personally like the hornady tap, or winchester ranger.