• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohhrico1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Tomball
    My (step)daughter has been asking for a handgun since I first taught her to shoot at 11 years old. I have been waiting to see if she was really interested in shooting or if she was just "copying" my interest. I didn't know she liked football until one day I was watching my Cowboys play and she told me they were her favorite team! lol (her mom and I secretly smirked because we knew it was because, she had watched me get animated during games)

Anyway, I taught her mom to shoot as well and even convinced her to get her own gun that she picked out. My daughter has shot her mom's gun several times and is pretty decent.

We finally decided to get her a gun for xmas. She is now 15. She will have a brand new block 26 under the tree. I figured she can learn, become proficient with, and get to know her gun and will have it as she gets older and use it for self protection. By then she will have mastered and become very knowledgeable about her firearm.

She hasn't shot for awhile and we will take it to the range after xmas. What 9mm ammo would you guys recommend that is light recoiling and will only be used for practice. I know she will not shoot it for long but I want to work her way up as she becomes used to and more proficient with it. Any thoughts?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I've always used the WWB 115gr FMJ stuff but it is getting hard to find. I asked this question a few weeks ago and everyone seemed to point to Federal in the same config. Pretty standard stuff and I wouldn't go to light on recoil as it would be better to learn how to handle the platform as a whole.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you're worried about recoil, the G17 or 19 would have been much better choices. I dont think you're gonna find a particular brand of range ammo that is appreciably softer shooting than any other.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Any 9mm ammo will work.
    Winchester or Federal from Wally-Mart for practice.
    Be aware that these will have some recoil to them. All 9mm ammo will.
    Congrats on the new pistol

Last edited:

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The above. Just normal target ammo, it's a G26 so it will eat anything.

I may suggest the +2 plate on the bottom that will let her get her pinkie on the grip. IMO, it doesn't really do much for actual recoil control, but mentally it helps out with the perception. 26s are pretty "snappy" for recoil, and I think confidence and form are really more important than ammo choice for recoil management.

ohhrico1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Tomball
    Thanks for the response so far. I thought about the G19. I have one and she has held it, but my G27 with baseplate and such she really likes. She can manipulate the slide easier than she can the g19 and likes the way it feels. Thats why I chose the 26. figured it would be the best of all things considered, not a micro subcompact, fits her hand well, easier to conceal (if at a letter time she decides to do so) yadda yadda yadda. lol

I understand that the dynamics of recoiled "control" and proper stance and grip ...​ just wanted to factor in velocity rounds etc. and grain and find a decent balance to add to the all the elements of her training. I know some IDPA shooters have used some "lighter" to reduce muzzle flip times but I am not a reloader and didn't know if anyone know of some man rounds they could recommend. great responses guys. I am reading them and taking in your suggestions and insights. I love learning from your ideas and looking at different perspectives.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In 9mm, if you stay away from +P I do not think you will notice a difference in recoil much. Her stance and grip will have much more of an impact. The Glock 26 (you called it a Block, and I nearly spit coffee on the screen ;) ) Is not ideal for a new shooter, especially one with small hands like I presume she has.

I strongly suggest, as onyxATX suggested, the extended grip for the 26.

I started my daughter on the .22 when she was 7. She does like the 1911 in .45, but her favorite current gun we own is my Springfield XD sub compact, but she insists on using the extended magazine. She has used both. Oh yeah, she is 17 now..

Be sure and post some pics of you guys shooting. I treasure my range time with my girl.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I know some IDPA shooters have used some "lighter" to reduce muzzle flip times...
    I hope that people more experienced than me will eagerly jump in to correct me but I don't think that applies to your case.

The only use of handloads to reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip that I know of are actually higher-pressure rounds spitting out lighter bullets. These produce more gas to help compensators work better. I've seen some real fire-breathing loads shot through those big old chamber-type compensators hung off the end of the barrel and, when everything is working together, the muzzle flip seems reduced to nearly nothing.

None of that applies in this situation.

As for ammo that just kicks less, that's tough. (The following is from memory, so forgive me if numerical details are a bit off.) At the last Hicksville meeet, I shot up the last of my 65-grain (some kinda sintered bullets) Aguila 9mm. It chrono'd very fast, over 1600 fps from my long-slide Glock. The perceived recoil and muzzle flip were almost nothing. Of course, the slide didn't move at all, turning my semi-auto into a manually operated repeater.

So, ammo at the extreme ends of various design parameters might accomplish what you're asking but, IME, it usually comes with its own set of problems.

Other thoughts -

If you can still find some of that Hirtenberger 100-grain (or was it 90?) stuff that used to be around in great quantities it was loud but I felt the recoil was rather light due to the light bullet.

I find most "range ammo" is loaded a bit light, so I'm basically with Moonpie in my recommendations.

The only thing that I would really suggest might be productive is to get a box of 115-grain FMJ practice ammo and a box of the 147-grain version of the same stuff. Load some mags for her and have her try them both in a blind A-B test. If she can perceive a difference, then buy the stuff she likes better. Some folks swear the subjective feel of a slow, heavy bullet vs. a faster, lighter bullet is perceptible and actually makes a difference. I'm not that sensitive. The folks that are that sensitive don't seem to agree on which is better. ;) But I think the test would be worthwhile just in case your daughter finds a difference she can exploit to her advantage.

SicEmBears

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    Richardson
    Bummer that you don't reload...being a relatively new shooter (and reloader), I was able to find a combination of 124 gr bullets and Ramshot Competition that makes for a nice "powderpuff" load for plinking. Then again, getting her comfortable with a more "standard" load (i.e., any standard 9mm range ammo) sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I'm with BigBoss: before I started reloading, I liked the Freedom Munitions stuff (mainly for price and availability).

Anyway, good on ya for the great present (and for raising a Cowboys fan)!

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    To be honest, I find 124 grn. ammo to be the lighter of the three, in terms of recoil, offerings for 9mm. 115 grn. is a bit snappy to me. 124 grn. feels like a more rearward push. And 147 grn. feels like uncontrollable muzzle flip as well as a bit sharp. I've never tried anything like the 90-95 grn HD/SD rounds so I can't comment on those. Too expensive for plinkin' anyway.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    perhaps you can start her off in the right direction, if you're getting her a G26 - tell her it's a G L O C K, glock (not a block !)

115gr WWB is fine, usually least expensive from WalMart - have someone (if you're unable) teach her to shoot correctly and she won't have "muzzle flip" (or whatever in hell "snap" is.....)

the G26 will be "ok" as a carry gun, when it comes time for that

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    9mm isn't an unwieldy round, unless you have something too small for the hands. Even a subcompact should be controllable. It all comes down to grip and wrist "control". I can get ANY handgun to jam if I limp wrist it. I'd suggest maybe starting how with one round in the magazine until you get it under control and used to the recoil.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Unless you reload, stick with many years of range proven Winchester White Box or Federal 115 grain FMJs (including Blazer Brass).

S&B, PMC, and Monarch are just as good.

Try to stay away from aluminum and steel cased ammo. For many reasons ...

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Unless you reload, stick with many years of range proven Winchester White Box or Federal 115 grain FMJs (including Blazer Brass).

S&B, PMC, and Monarch are just as good.

Try to stay away from aluminum and steel cased ammo. For many reasons ...

Other than some guns are finicky about what ammo they run, I find no reason not to run aluminum or steel. They can be finicky even with brass, depending on the manufacturer. Run whatever is cheap, IMO, as far as range ammo goes.

hard eight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Richardson
    I'm new to reloading but reseached light target loads immediately. Long timers were near unanimous that heavy bullets with light loads of fast powder was way to go. I started with 147 plated over 3.3 of BE and it's very comfortable and accurate IMO.

Top Bottom