• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Anyone else get their inbox filled with Ammoman replies?

I was cracking up with all the requests for removal from the list when the instructions for removal were clearly written in the body of the note itself.

Apparently a single person took issue with being on the e-mail list (one you have to request to be on) to notify the customer when ammo is in stock or when specials are run. So this person "replied all" to be removed (instead of reading the instructions) and then it was on.

I probably had over a hundred individual replies ranging from "please remove me" to "dorks can't read simple instructions" to it was a "government conspiracy".

It made my day.:)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm glad you saw the humor.
    I'm not on their mailing list, I'd a probly not taken it as well as you.
    heh!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Are you telling me they sent out emails with everyone's email address showing?!? That is unacceptable from your closest friends, much less a business.

I have blocked friends for less than that.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    It was and old-school e-mail list. Subscribe and you get broadcast e-mail notifications. A reply replies to the list.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It was and old-school e-mail list. Subscribe and you get broadcast e-mail notifications. A reply replies to the list.

That's what "BCC" (blind carbon copy) is for. Nobody's email address gets thrown out there to get phished by some internet criminal.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    In an e-mail list, the only e-mail shown is the list email address ... a single e-mail that is broadcast to subscribers.
    The only time individual e-mail addresses show is when some one replies.

Been on them for years and occasionally a newb who doesn't know any better will reply to the list to be taken off the list.
    There is no person is on the other end ... its a listserv (IIRC) function.

At some point in time, a person has to subscribe and that same individual has to unsubscribe. There is no moderator per-sey.

Lists serve a purpose ... it's direct information to my inbox. I don;t have to search a forum or find a thread link to get information. And it's near real time information.

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Well holy shit. Imma join ammo man and turn it into a mess. Just kidding.

Isn't ammo man out of new jersey? If I order ammo its from ammo to go. Sucks paying tax but it is what it is. I want to buy an ak74 so I can start buying the tins from copes.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Jersey ... I believe so.

I like ammoman because the advertised price is to my door. No surprises at check out.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    We had something like this happen with work email. Went on for days, even when we all were telling them to ignore and quit replying to all. Some dipshits were purposefully keeping it going. What a PITA!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We had something like this happen with work email. Went on for days, even when we all were telling them to ignore and quit replying to all. Some dipshits were purposefully keeping it going. What a PITA!
    I know of one case where a federal agency got into an Exchange shitstorm that defies description.

Picture this. There are 120,000 employees. A high-level executive delegates his email to an underling during a time he's going to be out of the office. Said underling accidentally sends out an email to everyone on a distribution list that includes the "all employees" list. Underling has receipts turned on.

120,000 emails go out. 120,000 receipts flow back to the underling. She realizes that she's made a mistake and sends out *another* email to all asking that they ignore the previous email. 120,000 more emails go out. 120,000 more receipts flow back to the underling.

A sizable percentage of the recipients "Reply All" to both the first and second email. That's another 240,000 emails times several thousand employees. Many of those employees have receipts turned on, so another 240,000 emails times several thousand employees go out.

At this point, hundreds of people are fed up with all this traffic and start sending out "Stop sending me email" emails. Every single one starts a new avalanche of emails to everyone else.

The IT department quickly came up with various solutions at the user level. Some Outlook rules were promulgated that instantly deleted new emails that were a part of the storm. When those rules were installed, I saw individual laptops grind away deleting as many as 40,000 emails per hour.

This kept up for hours and hours. The Exchange admins thought they were smart and killed the account of the original underling but by then there were so many "Stop!" emails and receipts reduplicating themselves in batches of 120,000 each that the beast just kept growing. The Exchange admins viewed their uptime as sacred and were culturally incapable of making the decision to take email offline and fix the problem.

Eventually, the stress on the network and the filling of mail boxes made work impossible and people slowed down on causing trouble. In the worst cases, some folks (who had sent several "Stop!" emails and also had receipts turned on) found their email unusable for a week. All this started on a Monday and on the following Sunday the Exchange admins finally took everything down for a cleanup.

A whole agency found their network fouled and communications crippled for an entire week because of two emails sent by one secretary in Washington. She became famous...and not in a good way.

I personally experienced this at my work and I know of one other agency where something similar happened.

Moral? It should never be possible to reply to high-volume accounts intended solely for broadcast. That's a hard lesson to learn but, in the end, a whole lot fewer people were allowed to send out email to all employees. Ultimately, that turned out to be a good thing. ;)

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I love those "stop replying all !!!" emails :laughing:

They were hilarious.

It was spiralling out of control for a short while, but it never ceases to amaze me how folks treasure their inbox and bandwidth like it is the original draft of the Declaration of Independence.

Top Bottom