• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I didn't know that if you grew up in other states, you couldn't be country. That's about like saying real rodeos aren't in the north. Tell that to Pendleton, Ore. or Calgary, Canada.

All I can say is that Aaron's father was a country musician, so he grew up country. Rock was his rebellion.
    Pipe down there yankee! :clown:

Country music has the connotation of being "Southern", but that doesn't necessarily dictate the musical style. The problem is when a northern artist tries to throw in a southern drawl, and it just doesn't sound right. The drawl is another one of those connotations, but isn't strictly necessary. Heck Tim McGraw is from Louisiana, but sounds more like he's from somewhere north of the Mason Dixon. Last I checked he's still popular (emphasis on the pop).
    Target Sports

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Country music has the connotation of being "Southern", but that doesn't necessarily dictate the musical style. The problem is when a northern artist tries to throw in a southern drawl, and it just doesn't sound right. The drawl is another one of those connotations, but isn't strictly necessary. Heck Tim McGraw is from Louisiana, but sounds more like he's from somewhere north of the Mason Dixon. Last I checked he's still popular (emphasis on the pop).
    Washington state wasn't a state nor a participant in the civil war, nor do I have ancestors that fought in the civil war, but if you mean the British connotation of "yankee", I'll take that as a compliment.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Heck Tim McGraw is from Louisiana, but sounds more like he's from somewhere north of the Mason Dixon.

I think that's by training and trying to be more pop. If you listen to his later stuff, his twang is definitely there.

Same with Taylor Swift and a host of other southern country artists who've moved south.

Country and western music have pretty much become one thing but it amuses me when people freak out that California isn't country. Nevermind the whole Bakersfield music scene with the likes of Merle, Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Country music may have it's roots in many of the southern states, but it's much more than just where a person comes from geographically on the map..

It's about a state of mind, a person's values, and the things they believe in.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin

Louisiana accents cover a wide spectrum. Cajun, southern drawl and can even sound like Boston yankee. I remember drinking with Lincoln and watching Tim in Monroe. Damn I'm getting old.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom