• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Near Rio Vista, Texas
    Many of the "baby boomers" in this group either have, or have had the proverbial "box 'o holsters" lying in a drawer or closet. Some have worked, most have not, and a few make us wonder what we were thinking when we bought them.

In an effort to help those on the forum with questions about which holster is best for their particular side arm, I'll offer up a couple of thoughts.

Every person is different. What fits me and my pistol/revolver might cause you complete agony, and vice-versa. Decide which material you want your gun to ride in. There are numerous arguments about whether kydex, leather, nylon, etc. are the greater villains when it comes to finish wear. Only you can make an informed decision, based on frequency of use, number of draws from the holster, activity level when carrying, and so forth. I own kydex rigs, cowhide and horsehide holsters, and even a couple of IWB nylon pouches. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I prefer leather holsters, but I am far from an expert.

A good holster from a custom maker (such as Milt Sparks) will not cost a great deal more than an off-the-rack holster from someone like Galco. Throw in a belt, some method to store extra ammunition, and fancy tool work, and you will be shelling out quite a sum of money. You will also be waiting for a considerable period of time for your new holster combo to arrive at your doorstep. I will admit that my custom holsters fit my guns better than the Galco and Bianchi rigs, but those high production companies do a mighty fine job creating functional, reliable holsters. It all depends on what you are willing to spend, and how long you're prepared to wait.

Inside the waistband (IWB), outside the waistband (OWB), shoulder holster, FBI cant, vertical drop, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Here is where the real dilema begins. I bought one of the finest IWB holsters currently available. It was a beautiful piece of work, fit my pistol like a glove, and was excruciatingly painful to wear. It is a holster that is recommended above most others by many satisfied customers. I gave mine away!
    No matter how you choose your holster, you have to be aware of your own body type, how the gun will be carried, ease of gun accessibility, and most of all, comfort. It's said that carrying a gun is suppose to be comforting, and not comfortable, but if it's hurting you, you won't carry it.

In the area of leather, cowhide or horsehide? There are positives and negatives to both sides of that argument, but it is generally agreed that horsehide is tougher than "bossy's" skin. Your color choice of dyes will be limited with horsehide, so keep that in mind. I own both types, and generally prefer cowhide holsters. Once again, my opinion only.

If you should choose to have a custom holster maker create a rig for you, be sure to investigate whether that maker has a good reputation with the consumer public. If you begin to get antsy over the waiting period, it's comforting to know you can speak with the maker and be reassured. However, in the case of one-man operations, remember that every time he answers the phone, or checks his e-mail, is time he's NOT working on your holster.

In the final analysis, I've only thrown out a few ideas, with no recommendations. So, here's the recommendation.
    Listen to what others say about their favorite holsters, but temper their views with the reality that one size truly does not fit all. Decide on mode of carry, material that the holster is to be made of, how the holster secures the gun, and how those features relate to you and your body type. If possible, try some various styles before buying. Since that rarely happens, it falls to you to study, read, and study some more. Look at web sites and catalogs. Perhaps you won't drop a C-note on a rig that ends up gathering dust in your closet.

Belts?
    That's a whole 'nuther ballgame!:D
    ARJ Defense ad

300shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    I went in and counted mine and it has over 36 for a 1911,15 for compact Glocks , 5 for large framed glocks, and 29 for Revo's of different sizes.

I hope to get it clean out soon and post a lot of them for sale .

Its not going to be this weekend as I am leaving to school in Manassas Va. for training I am taking a advanced Handgun ,M-16 , Shotgun class over the next week with a Interview with Blackwater as a bonus.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I wish someone around here had a Sparks VM2 that I could try on for five minutes. Countless hours of analysis and mental debate has done nothing but frustrate me. I currently wear the Sparks Heritage model but am concerned that the widely spaced holster loops of VM2 might interfere with my pants belt loop and not allow me to wear it at comfortable spot. Am considering ordering the holster anyway and then reselling it if I don't like the fit.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I wish someone around here had a Sparks VM2 that I could try on for five minutes. Countless hours of analysis and mental debate has done nothing but frustrate me. I currently wear the Sparks Heritage model but am concerned that the widely spaced holster loops of VM2 might interfere with my pants belt loop and not allow me to wear it at comfortable spot. Am considering ordering the holster anyway and then reselling it if I don't like the fit.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

When mine comes in we can get together and you can try it on. Ordered in Jan, but probably wont see it until June-July. No kidding, that is their lead time right now. If I still had my old one(Stolen out of vehicle) I would let ya try her on when ever. Nice holster though.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks, IZ. I've just about decided to forego the wide style holsters (VM-2 type) and stick to the narrow holsters like the Heritage.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've had a VMII and SSII as well as Brommeland MaxCon V and a Mitch Rosen Workman-Slimline.

The VMII is easy to move around the loops and fit. For me, it just wasn't right but the Brommeland works great. Keep an eye out on forums etc. for VMII's. Some people turn around and sell slightly used ones for what they paid and they're happy. I paid $100 for mine (it was horsehide also) and it was in excellent condition. I put it on eBay and got over $200 for it. The Rosen I paid more than I wanted to, but sold it on eBay also for within $10 of what I paid once all fee's etc are considered.

Don't hesitate trying a VMII if you can get one for <$150 because as long as things stay the same, you'll turn it around for that or more if it doesn't work.

Us being in Texas, here's my take on the wide vs narrow also. The Brommeland is great. But when it warm out, you know you have a large piece of hide against you; anything will be noticeable. It's not bad at all, but when I take it off, I realize I was a little warm.

The Sparks SSII is great in that respect. Much less real estate with the narrow style and although with the reinforced mouth is more noticeable through your waistband, it's cooler. I'm sure when July-Sept. roll around, anything will be uncomfortable.

Having the Brommeland and the SSII is a great combination. And I'm glad I decided to make sure I didn't start my own stockpile of leather and sold the ones I knew weren't exactly right for me. :D

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I, or really my wife, was tired of looking of the unused box-o-holsters, so I went on one of the forums I participate in and sold all but one. Made enough to buy another holster.

Top Bottom