Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower Receivers - Any Good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    ]

SA BCGs are an inferior product created to unneccessarily cater to freedom-hating politicians. FAs are heavier, recoil a bit less, have no design flaws (unlike some SAs) and exhibit less bolt-bounce.

I hope everyone here is running FA BCGs from reputable companies. Microbest makes very nice ones for relatively cheap.
    Texas SOT

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    this thread raised my curiosity, so I googled "best AR-15 lowers", the results were varied to say the least.

dozens of "best AR lowers" reviews out there and was not much consistency in who had the best.

Anderson made the top 10 on at least two lists.

PSA made top 10 on one and top 5 on another.

I am not an expert, I own seven AR's, four of them were purchased new as complete rifles, (3) Colt's & (1) Rock River,
    two are PSA lowers ( an AR-15 & AR-10), the final and last of them is with an Anderson lower, had no problems with a the PSA's or the Anderson plus I built my son an AR with a PSA lower & upper, no problems have been encountered with either the Anderson or PSA's.

I honestly believe it is a matter of preference and confidence in the product, with some brands being a "status symbol" in the minds of many

the only AR that I have ever had a problem with is one of my Colt's, an MT6601C Match Target that does not like cheap wolf brand ammo (or any ammo of lesser pressure)

as I said in a previous post, they probably aren't the best, but a decent product for $40.00 or so and everyone produces a a lemmon occasionally

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    this thread raised my curiosity, so I googled "best AR-15 lowers", the results were varied to say the least.

dozens of "best AR lowers" reviews out there and was not much consistency in who had the best.

Anderson made the top 10 on at least two lists.

PSA made top 10 on one and top 5 on another.

I am not an expert, I own seven AR's, four of them were purchased new as complete rifles, (3) Colt's & (1) Rock River,
    two are PSA lowers ( an AR-15 & AR-10), the final and last of them is with an Anderson lower, had no problems with a the PSA's or the Anderson plus I built my son an AR with a PSA lower & upper, no problems have been encountered with either the Anderson or PSA's.

I honestly believe it is a matter of preference and confidence in the product, with some brands being a "status symbol" in the minds of many

the only AR that I have ever had a problem with is one of my Colt's, an MT6601C Match Target that does not like cheap wolf brand ammo (or any ammo of lesser pressure)

as I said in a previous post, they probably aren't the best, but a decent product for $40.00 or so and everyone produces a a lemmon occasionally

Guages don't lie. Torque measurements don't lie. Metallurgy doesn't lie. Staking doesn't lie. Hard-run rifles don't lie. These are all measurable and verifiable.

I've already mentioned some of this, but good resources on AR performance are School of the American Rifle (Sotar) and Primary and Secondary. This isn't "A matter of preference." These are measurable and verifiable differences in quality. You are correct some brands are status symbols IMO.

The average PShitA, Anderson, Radical, Windham, DPMS, etc will never measure (literally) up to Colt, BCM, Sionics, SOLGW, etc (notice NONE of those are "high-end," just high-quality). Doing so would require more expense than they are sold for. Corners have to be cut many places to sell a lower for $40 vs $120. Low-end companies produce a lot more than "Occasional lemons" than better competitors. That is undeniable. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette.

Ask any reputable gunsmith and he will verify. Ask Chad Albrecht and you better grab a chair because he'll teach you things you never knew.

ShotgunAg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2020
    Frisco
    As a FFL I receive many stripped lowers. People that have purchased from Anderson tend to reorder and have never said anything to me about issues with their past purchases. Be Blessed

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    And of course when you point this out, you get called a gun snob.

The funny thing is real gun snobs would look down on me. I don't own a single $2k+ AR-15 or run any proprietary or exotic components. My 16"ers still have MOE-SL handguards.

I just stick with the known standards of reliability, smooth function, and longevity, but because they cost more than fast and loose mfgrs can profiteer from, I'm a snob in the eyes of those whose understanding of the system is very basic.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    BTW SOLGW receievers = Keyhole marked. I'll put $500 up against anyone who thinks their Anderson receivers match my SOLGWs gauging and can do what's in the video.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Saying silly things like “PShitA” tend to kill any semblance of an unbiased opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    This reminds me of the guys that get on my boat with a $2500 fly rod and reel with Simms clothes head to toe and talk about how badass and expensive all their gear is and I put them on fish all day and they can’t put a fly in front of their face. I get out my $500 combo and catch the first three fish I cast at.
    I’m not saying there isn’t a difference in the better and more expensive gear but how many guys on here are dumping a thousand rounds a week through their rifles?

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    This reminds me of the guys that get on my boat with a $2500 fly rod and reel with Simms clothes head to toe and talk about how badass and expensive all their gear is and I put them on fish all day and they can’t put a fly in front of their face. I get out my $500 combo and catch the first three fish I cast at.
    I’m not saying there isn’t a difference in the better and more expensive gear but how many guys on here are dumping a thousand rounds a week through their rifles?

who can find or afford to shoot thousands of rounds per week LOL

let alone have that much time

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    Guages don't lie. Torque measurements don't lie. Metallurgy doesn't lie. Staking doesn't lie. Hard-run rifles don't lie. These are all measurable and verifiable.

I've already mentioned some of this, but good resources on AR performance are School of the American Rifle (Sotar) and Primary and Secondary. This isn't "A matter of preference." These are measurable and verifiable differences in quality. You are correct some brands are status symbols IMO.

The average PShitA, Anderson, Radical, Windham, DPMS, etc will never measure (literally) up to Colt, BCM, Sionics, SOLGW, etc (notice NONE of those are "high-end," just high-quality). Doing so would require more expense than they are sold for. Corners have to be cut many places to sell a lower for $40 vs $120. Low-end companies produce a lot more than "Occasional lemons" than better competitors. That is undeniable. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette.

Ask any reputable gunsmith and he will verify. Ask Chad Albrecht and you better grab a chair because he'll teach you things you never knew.

I value advice given and gained from experience. I believe there are varying level of quality as described above. (good post)

However, not everyone can afford or justify the expense of some of the higher tier products.

So, they have to weigh in on having nothing or having what they can afford.

My buddies and I have used many Anderson lowers in our builds. I've only encountered one so far that was out of spec. Anderson Manufacturing was willing to replace it. (I ended up fixing it myself.)

But, I've only put hundreds of rounds through them, not thousands.

Rak320

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    El Paso
    I built a truck gun off a AM-15 lower, no issues whatsoever. I used their LPK too. Gun shoots just fine. For the price, it’s hard to beat

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Anderson is GTG. I have a few, no problems at all. Closed trigger guard is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

"It's the Indian, not the arrow." There's something to be said for that as well. I could probably hold my own with a 10/22 against a dozen of your average shooters with ARs. Most of them I see at the range are lucky to hit anything at 100M.

I'd never claim a 10/22 is "Just as good" as their ARs for serious use, though. What kills me is how many people refuse to believe there are any significant quality and performance differences between top and bottom tier AR mfgs. It's truly strange how many people will untiringly defend their low-quality purchases.

I owned two PSA just long enough to see firsthand how bad they were and mail them back (on my dime). I just can't imagine holding on to them and getting defensive when others point out their flaws.

Top Bottom