• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronFixXxeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I don't have a CHL yet or even a handgun but I was thinking about how I would carry.

Do most people carry on the hip? It seems for me at least an ankle holster would be easier to conceal and less noticeable.

I realize that an ankle holster is probably not as easy to get at in a bad situation but wanted some opinions on them.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I have a friend who is a Dallas homicide investigator. He uses an ankle holster for his Sig .357 sometimes. He recommends it. I'm considering getting one so I have an option for when I need to tuck my shirt in.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    [url]http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=114&osCsid=s516fcovtn37ecchhn7et8nro2[/URL]

[url]http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/[/URL]

These are two, quality, tuckable holsters. I own the comtac.

Most people will tell you not to go ankle, and I think there are usually better options. But if you have to, then I'd say a gun in the ankle is better than no gun. I think a lot of the dislike happens because of the effect on walking that ankle holsters cause. No experience myself, but I think that it would be less comfortable to carry walking around all day.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I'm looking at getting an old colt 1908 vest to carry at ankle level... What can I say I'm a coltaphile... 1908 on the ankle... Mustang in the front... Commander in the back and pony in the back pocket wallet holster... Lots of carry options... Lots of classic hardware...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I wore an ankle holster a considerable amount when I was in LE. It was my Backup Gun location. I liked the holster so much I also tried it off duty.

It will make you walk funny at first. It is a SLOW and awkward draw. It is great for in the car though. I quickly stopped wearing it off duty, and went back to the waist.

You lose mobility when you try to draw. You will be taking a knee to draw, unless you have superbalance and can draw while standing on only one leg.

I would wear one as a BU, but unless I had very specific circumstances I would not wear an ankle rig as a primary carry.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    One thing to consider as a small backup is for the people that carry pocket, s.o.b., or inside waistband if you find yourself trying to dispel a certain situation and end up pushed to the ground where do you land? On your gun most likely and if not it will probably make it awkward to draw your primary carry... thus as txinvestigator illustrates making it a prime time for a b.u.g. on your ankle which would be a close draw from a reclined position...

Just my two cents...

Top Bottom