• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I went this morning and bought a Ruger LCP .380 for a backup gun, or to carry when I cannot carry anything larger. I usually wear boots and blue jeans. Does anyone have any experience with ankle holsters? Thinking about ordering the one from Fobus.
    Texas SOT

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I use a Desantis for my Charter Arms Bulldog. Fits great inside of my Justin workboots and jeans and very concealed. Of course it's probably not the first choice for concealed but in some situations it does come in handy.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Surfing through here I saw your thread.

About a month ago I was at a local Gun Show and saw an "Ankle Holster" that looked neat. But I use a .25 and she didn't have any for small calibers.

I came home and ordered one online.

Originally I had the idea of using it on the right leg, outboard. This would not work because it really bulged out. Obviously it worked better left leg, inside leg. Tried it out going out to eat at a local restaurant.

It was really hard to get used to. It really was uncomfortable, had the notion that it was "falling down", coming out, showing, although it was not. Occasionally it banged with my right leg when walking.

Since then have used it probably twice, for short stretches, trying to get a feel for it. Another thing, wearing jeans, it takes probably 2-3 seconds to get out, either bending over or propping the leg up then sliding pants up.

It may or may not be the way you want to go. It's just not all it's cracked up to be, guess we can't all be James Bond.

HydroMonster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    USA
    I agree with SiscoKid. It just feels unnatural for me. It's hard to get used to it because you're always conscious of it especially when you're walking. It's also very uncomfortable because it felt like having ankle weights on just one ankle.

TaoJones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Ft. Worth
    I agree with all of the above. I'm more aware of my little snubbie j-frame on my ankle than inside my waistband. I do wear wide leg or boot cut jeans, so it's not noticable at all. A friend of mine knew I was wearing it but still asked "Where is it?" because he couldn't tell. It just doesn't feel right, but it does work well for concealment.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Quality of design and materials is very important for an Ankle Holster. I wore a S&W model 60 in one for years both on and off duty as a uniformed LEO. I prefer those with the calf support. They do take some getting used to. When I first started wearing one, I found that I had a tendency to "swing" my left leg, and had to focus on not doing that until the holster became second nature.

If you invest in a good holster they are a good backup location, or primary location for one who sits a lot.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Renegade makes a really good ankle holster. I've got a #50 that works well.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I went this morning and bought a Ruger LCP .380 for a backup gun, or to carry when I cannot carry anything larger. I usually wear boots and blue jeans. Does anyone have any experience with ankle holsters? Thinking about ordering the one from Fobus.

I have a Raven .25 that YEARS ago I removed one of the plastic grips from and took a metal belt clip and modified the clip and the plastic grip, put it all back together and found that I could clip it IWB or inside my right boot. Works well to this day. I'm not a big .22/.25 fan for CC, but I look at it this way, it's about like driving a small phillips head screwdriver 3-5 inches into someones chest 6 times REAL FAST, and at the ranges I would be using it, it would serve it's purpose...

I've also considered taking one of the Pachmayr rubber slip on grip covers for the KelTec and adding a clip. Might be something you want to try...

Pachmayr&reg Pachmayr your primary source for quality handgun grips and recoil pads

Top Bottom