Gun Zone Deals

Annnnnnd Dallas County just got themselves an MRAP!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Am I the only one who can think of a few (admittedly outlandish) scenarios where a vehicle like this may end up being useful?

Doesn't mean I approve of it, but I'd much rather these things be used than just rot away in storage.
    DK Firearms

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Am I the only one who can think of a few (admittedly outlandish) scenarios where a vehicle like this may end up being useful?

Yeah, having lost a good friend on the SWAT team trying to serve a warrant on a drug house where they knew weapons were present, I question why anyone would NOT approve. His widow and child would probably approve of using a missile to even the odds.

Any equipment that helps a good-guy do his job safer is a no-brainer to me. Somehow I thought the desire to go home at the end of the day was instilled in ALL of us and this vehicle will help with that. The cost was negligible when they acquired it and the vehicle will not be used everyday to patrol the streets so maintenance costs are not a real factor.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Yeah, having lost a good friend on the SWAT team trying to serve a warrant on a drug house where they knew weapons were present, I question why anyone would NOT approve. His widow and child would probably approve of using a missile to even the odds.

Any equipment that helps a good-guy do his job safer is a no-brainer to me. Somehow I thought the desire to go home at the end of the day was instilled in ALL of us and this vehicle will help with that. The cost was negligent when they acquired it and the vehicle will not be used everyday to patrol the streets so maintenance costs are not a real factor.

Now that makes some sense. Good post!

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Do you really need an Assault-rifle with a 30 round banana clip assault magazine to defend yourself from anyone?

If it's legal for us, it's only fair for it to be legal for them. (The M16s, meh. I don't personally want to go through the hassle, but it is legal for us to own those, too.)

I can't legally own an assault rifle and I pay for the 30 rounders out of my own pocket.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    But you can own an MRAP.

Nobody here like the tax stamp BS, but it is a different subject.

Has anyone ever considered that the only reason the underside is armored is because the military originally requested it that way.

I highly doubt anyone in Dallas county said "Make sure we get one that can handle land mines!".

That's what the Feds offered so they took it. Would you rather them spend money directly from the county budget to have a van armored. I bet it would take a while for the slight maintenance savings to pay for the vehicle.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Honestly, the only difference I can figure in maintenance costs is the MRAP oil/tyranny changes may be a little more costly. But the price of that will be minor compared to their maintenance budget.

The tax stamp was exactly what I was getting at. You can buy an assault rifle just like you can buy an MRAP. The price difference between an "assault" rifle and a normal one is probably the same percentage as a standard diesel pick up vs an MRAP.

Edit: tyranny? Smh. Lol. Damn spell check

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Honestly, the only difference I can figure in maintenance costs is the MRAP oil/tyranny changes may be a little more costly. But the price of that will be minor compared to their maintenance budget.

The tax stamp was exactly what I was getting at. You can buy an assault rifle just like you can buy an MRAP. The price difference between an "assault" rifle and a normal one is probably the same percentage as a standard diesel pick up vs an MRAP.
    oil/tyranny - was that a Freudian slip?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It was auto correct at its finest.

I don't know what its penetration specs are. You can disable them if you know where you're shooting. But the passengers will be safe until back up arrives if the vehicle is disabled.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    It was auto correct at its finest.

I don't know what its penetration specs are. You can disable them if you know where you're shooting. But the passengers will be safe until back up arrives if the vehicle is disabled.

They can be disabled pretty easily these are not the newest maxxpros so not only do they suck and tip over easily but they are easy to penetrate. Also for about $10 anyone can make a penetrator that will completely disable it using household materials we teach during one of our classes briefing soldiers on what to look for.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I won't be worried till I start seeing M1s patrolling the streets, my warped mind can't quite figure out how to kill one of those with the materials at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    It was free. One second local and state governments need to be more frugal, then when they are....well, you see how that works.

The "militarization of police" in this country is almost laughable. The police are almost always outgunned by the criminals in the U.S. which leads to the bizarre quandary in which people think they should be able to own ANYTHING and the police should be limited in what tools are available to them. Irony.
    Do I believe that you should be able to own essentially any firearm that you can afford? Yes. But when police have to deal with those who have made the decision to accumulate a stockpile of weapons and for whatever reason have to crossed over to the other side of the law, the police should have every option available to make arrests without the need for gun play or officer (or arrestees) getting hurt.

andy.jpg

Last edited:

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    They can be disabled pretty easily these are not the newest maxxpros so not only do they suck and tip over easily but they are easy to penetrate. Also for about $10 anyone can make a penetrator that will completely disable it using household materials we teach during one of our classes briefing soldiers on what to look for.
    They are still safer than approaching a well armed barricaded suspect in a Crown Vic, a Tahoe or a Charger.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I won't be worried till I start seeing M1s patrolling the streets, my warped mind can't quite figure out how to kill one of those with the materials at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

There's two ways I know of. Both require a grenade, or rocket launcher.

Random fact: The first gen M1's were designed with the exhaust such a way that you couldn't drive the tank in the rain. They've since fixed that with sort of a cowling.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    But you can own an MRAP.

Nobody here like the tax stamp BS, but it is a different subject.

Has anyone ever considered that the only reason the underside is armored is because the military originally requested it that way.

I highly doubt anyone in Dallas county said "Make sure we get one that can handle land mines!".

That's what the Feds offered so they took it. Would you rather them spend money directly from the county budget to have a van armored. I bet it would take a while for the slight maintenance savings to pay for the vehicle.
    Most reasoned post in the thread.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There's two ways I know of. Both require a grenade, or rocket launcher.

Random fact: The first gen M1's were designed with the exhaust such a way that you couldn't drive the tank in the rain. They've since fixed that with sort of a cowling.

Soooo, wait for a rain storm and shoot holes in the cowling.

Got it, thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom