• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So I checked out a local shop I hadn't been to before (lived here going on 4 years, finally had time to burn in that particular little town), On-Target Shooting in Mabank. Nicely cramped store, old fella at the computer was nice enough as I looked around. They actually have a Bond Arms Bullpup pistol for sale - what used to be the Boberg XR9. Cool. I listened to a woman in her 70s sign up for a license-to-carry class so she can defend herself and her 93 year old mother with the .45 she bought. No, she wasn't kidding, and yes she had shot the gun before signing up. Badass.

Then the younger guy behind the counter asked if I was looking for anything in particular.

"Yeah," said I, "Spare mags for a full-size GI 1911 in .45 - maybe some Chip McCormicks?"

"Who made the gun?"

I blinked. It's a freakin' GI 1911A1 - the standard mags for a full-size 1911 should fit. "Rock Island," I reply, "I'm looking for better mags for it."

"So, you don't want Rock Island mags?"

Dude...does Rock Island suddenly make mags? They sell 'em with MecGar mags last I heard. "Uh...no."

"Seven or eight round?" he asks.

"Seven round - I just want the old fashioned GI mags - no extended baseplate," I reply, still not quite irritated.

He comes back with a couple of packages of Chip McCormick mags, but...they're off somehow. They're too short...and too skinny...because they're for a freakin' compact 1911...and they're 9mm. Also, they're 8 round mags. "Dude. These are for a compact. I told you mine is full size."

"Yeah, 7 round magazines are only for compact 1911's."

"No...7 rounds is standard for a full-size 1911, which is what I told you I have."

"Well," dude replies, "They don't make 7 round mags for a full size 1911."

"Ok, thanks," I mutter as I leave. Yes, they freaking do - they have since, oh, let me see, since Colt entered the prototypes in the goddamn US Army pistol trials in 1906, before it was even named the "Model of 1911".

Guess I won't be buying mags from these guys...ever. If the customer tells you the exact freaking model of gun he owns, don't bring him mags you fucking know won't fit. I can forgive a lack of knowledge, even if he tried to "correct" what I ask for, but trying to sell me magazines that not only aren't for the model of pistol I told him I have, but aren't even the correct damn caliber? Nope. Screw that.
    Texas SOT

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    So I checked out a local shop I hadn't been to before (lived here going on 4 years, finally had time to burn in that particular little town), On-Target Shooting in Mabank. Nicely cramped store, old fella at the computer was nice enough as I looked around. They actually have a Bond Arms Bullpup pistol for sale - what used to be the Boberg XR9. Cool. I listened to a woman in her 70s sign up for a license-to-carry class so she can defend herself and her 93 year old mother with the .45 she bought. No, she wasn't kidding, and yes she had shot the gun before signing up. Badass.

Then the younger guy behind the counter asked if I was looking for anything in particular.

"Yeah," said I, "Spare mags for a full-size GI 1911 in .45 - maybe some Chip McCormicks?"

"Who made the gun?"

I blinked. It's a freakin' GI 1911A1 - the standard mags for a full-size 1911 should fit. "Rock Island," I reply, "I'm looking for better mags for it."

"So, you don't want Rock Island mags?"

Dude...does Rock Island suddenly make mags? They sell 'em with MecGar mags last I heard. "Uh...no."

"Seven or eight round?" he asks.

"Seven round - I just want the old fashioned GI mags - no extended baseplate," I reply, still not quite irritated.

He comes back with a couple of packages of Chip McCormick mags, but...they're off somehow. They're too short...and too skinny...because they're for a freakin' compact 1911...and they're 9mm. Also, they're 8 round mags. "Dude. These are for a compact. I told you mine is full size."

"Yeah, 7 round magazines are only for compact 1911's."

"No...7 rounds is standard for a full-size 1911, which is what I told you I have."

"Well," dude replies, "They don't make 7 round mags for a full size 1911."

"Ok, thanks," I mutter as I leave. Yes, they freaking do - they have since, oh, let me see, since Colt entered the prototypes in the ******* US Army pistol trials in 1906, before it was even named the "Model of 1911".

Guess I won't be buying mags from these guys...ever. If the customer tells you the exact freaking model of gun he owns, don't bring him mags you fucking know won't fit. I can forgive a lack of knowledge, even if he tried to "correct" what I ask for, but trying to sell me magazines that not only aren't for the model of pistol I told him I have, but aren't even the correct damn caliber? Nope. Screw that.

I went in that store looking for a tripod for bench shooting. He had one, not exactly what I wanted but would do. I asked if he was going to order a replacement and the answer was yes. I asked if he would order me another one while he was at it. Sure but the $39 I paid was an old price and the new one would be $45 I think. I paid for the one I got and the one he was to order. When I go home I checked prices. I paid retail for the one I had and the price had not changed so I paid 10% more for the second one. Except to pick up my paid for one I've never been back and never will be. Probably spent 15k on guns and reloading since that day and he never saw a nickel of it. Just my exhaust fumes as I go by his shop on almost a daily basis.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    This guy runs a good business in magazines and has integrity: https://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php

But if a member of CMP, 7-rd government magazines can be had for about $8 ea. This was a year ago - I haven’t checked recently; plus, I believe they were made by CheckMate.
    2d1a7326bce39b7450f2dd5a2058be06.jpg

Attachments

• 2d1a7326bce39b7450f2dd5a2058be06.jpg
      2d1a7326bce39b7450f2dd5a2058be06.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 551

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I went in that store looking for a tripod for bench shooting. He had one, not exactly what I wanted but would do. I asked if he was going to order a replacement and the answer was yes. I asked if he would order me another one while he was at it. Sure but the $39 I paid was an old price and the new one would be $45 I think. I paid for the one I got and the one he was to order. When I go home I checked prices. I paid retail for the one I had and the price had not changed so I paid 10% more for the second one. Except to pick up my paid for one I've never been back and never will be. Probably spent 15k on guns and reloading since that day and he never saw a nickel of it. Just my exhaust fumes as I go by his shop on almost a daily basis.

I've had better experience and intelligent conversation at Cedar Creek Firearms in Seven Points if you're looking for a better LGS. Their stock is small (especially now) but they're good folks.

And Moonpie, I know lots of places to buy mags - I just figured I'd justify the stop and give a local business a little support. It didn't work out.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Slightly off topic, didn’t someone mention the other week that a Texas company makes phenomenal 1911 mags? It seems like he said either Bastrop or Round Rock. Could be completely off, but those two places ring a bell.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Slightly off topic, didn’t someone mention the other week that a Texas company makes phenomenal 1911 mags? It seems like he said either Bastrop or Round Rock. Could be completely off, but those two places ring a bell.
    Tripp Research Cobra Mags are the best available anywhere. Made in Bastrop. If Tripp puts his name on them, they run.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom