• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I just picked up one of these Rugar 22/45 Lite pistols. I have not shot it yet. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with or opinion of this gun? I was kinda at the right place at the right time deal so I went for it.

068.jpg

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    The host was the main selling point for me. Plus it was right there for the taking.. Was not the intention of the visit to the gun shop.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've had interest in these as well but most vendors are asking for more than msrp for them. I don't want to pay more than $359 for one and everyones asking 400+. I was a little turned off by the fact that it's really a short, thin, steel barrel w/a cool loooking sleeve over it rather than a true aluminum barrel w/liner like a tac-sol. Still a neat looking pistol and the threaded barrel is a plus. Let us know how it groups for ya'. On another note, will the bolt drop with a live round in the mag if you just pull it back or do you need to push the slide release to chamber a round ?

checcles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    El Paso
    On another note, will the bolt drop with a live round in the mag if you just pull it back or do you need to push the slide release to chamber a round ?

It depends on the gun actually. Termed the "slingshot mod."
    22_45slingshot.jpg (photo from my buddy SGW on another fourm)

If you take out the detent and make sure that the area in the red circle is freely moving (might need to file some stuff down), then technically it would fall as you pull the bolt handle back. However, mine did not. I had to take a dremel and used the LCI spring cut in half to literally push the bolt stop lever down. If anyone needs help with this let me know.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    It depends on the gun actually. Termed the "slingshot mod."
    View attachment 14614 (photo from my buddy SGW on another fourm)

If you take out the detent and make sure that the area in the red circle is freely moving (might need to file some stuff down), then technically it would fall as you pull the bolt handle back. However, mine did not. I had to take a dremel and used the LCI spring cut in half to literally push the bolt stop lever down. If anyone needs help with this let me know.

Very interesting.. Thanks for the info. And Welcome to the forum!

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    The one I have does not have that problem. There is a problem with being able to see the front sight. It needs to be painted or something. But all and all the gun shot very good. Thanks to Cam for letting me use his sparrow. It was a good break in the wait till mine gets approved. That was the first time I have been to SGA. It looks like it is going to be pretty crowded with our group. The A/C was having a hard time keeping up and got real warm real quick. I did notice that there was another range across the driveway and it looked like it had brand new A/C units on the roof. I sure hope that we get to use that range. Ben will have to verify which one we will be using.

checcles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    El Paso
    Thanks checcles, I thought mine might have had some oddball problem. Nice to know it's common and there is a fix.

Ya there is actually three ways to do it. Here are the other two:

spring_installed.jpg

This way is done by using a wire rapped once around the trigger pin that physically presses the bolt catch down.

For some reason it isn't letting me upload another picture so I'll post again...

checcles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    El Paso
    2245_bolt_hold_mod_s.jpg

This is the third and final way if the other two don't work. This is what I chose to do. You have to use and dremel and a small spring and as you can see, the upper assembly pushes down on it and therefore makes it feel like a real gun again. ;) You obviously void your warranty with Ruger (unless you order another bolt catch from them before sending your pistol in for warranty work).

Sugar Land - Use some white or orange paint on that bad boy! Oh and if you want to simplify your dissassembly/reassembly, the first thing I would do is order a different hammer bushing. This removes the magazine disconnect problem as well.

http://bushing.webs.com/ $15

or do what I did and send some cash through the mail and wait 3 weeks from an awesome guy that makes them in Canada, contact Sam Lam at
    sg552.2@gmail.com $11

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Did it have the correct threads for a sparrow? Is there a place to mount a rail on top like the 22/45 with the threaded barrel?
    I prefer a red dot on my Ruger pistols, and they should work well above suppressor.

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    I have a MKll 22/45 bull barrel. Vert seldom shoot it. Sorta takes the fun out of a target when you hit everything you aim at. Really a super gun. But I'd trade for something all metal.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Did it have the correct threads for a sparrow? Is there a place to mount a rail on top like the 22/45 with the threaded barrel?
    I prefer a red dot on my Ruger pistols, and they should work well above suppressor.

The 22/45Lite has the right threads for the sparrow can. Put a red dot on it as well. The pistol shoots real well.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I put a new red dot on the 22/45. Seems like I am getting closer to getting it set up and Lite. It is a lot more accurate than I figured.

2245sm.jpg

Top Bottom