• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I was in the Progressive Insurance office today in Victoria and noticed a small, 5X8 approx. size sign at the reception window. It wasn't the legal 30.06 sign but stated that Progressive doesn't let firearms or destructive devices on their company property. In the second paragraph it stated that they didn't allow concealed weapons, whether licensed by the state or not (slightly paraphraed). I got their message and told my son why I don't have their insurance. I was only there to collect on a claim. I would think they have probably lost a lot of business in Texas because it their repressive policy. Let them know what you think.
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I was in the Progressive Insurance office today in Victoria and noticed a small, 5X8 approx. size sign at the reception window. It wasn't the legal 30.06 sign but stated that Progressive doesn't let firearms or destructive devices on their company property. In the second paragraph it stated that they didn't allow concealed weapons, whether licensed by the state or not (slightly paraphraed). I got their message and told my son why I don't have their insurance. I was only there to collect on a claim. I would think they have probably lost a lot of business in Texas because it their repressive policy. Let them know what you think.

Progressive Insurance is a HUGE part of the ultra-liberal secular progressive.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

So they aren't posting 30.06 compliant, not even at the enterance of the business. So no problem for someone legally carrying concealed. Ignore it. ;)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Progressive insurance sucks. They are real cheap a$$es when it comes to claims. An acquaintance of mine, a car repair shop owner, had insurance through them on his brand new BMW 750IL. I mean we are talking a $90k car here at the time, and a well to do individual paying full coverage that has an excellent record (basically someone they shouldn't be worried about). Now someone broke into the car and broke all 4 door windows I believe. This took place a few years ago, and at the time it had been raining frequently and there had been hail frequently as well. Needless to say, you wouldn't want your $90k car out in the elements getting water damaged. Sure it would only take maybe 1-2 days at most to have the windows replaced, and that wouldn't be too expensive for a rental car. Guess what? Progressive refused to pay for a rental car and told him the car was still drivable so they could not justify it. What a bunch of morons. I had insurance through them at one point years ago, though I have long since switched companies.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    So they aren't posting 30.06 compliant, not even at the enterance of the business. So no problem for someone legally carrying concealed. Ignore it. ;)

Yea, that's what I understood. If they don't have the FULL 30.06 posting, or the red 50% sign, then you're good to go. You can ignore the ghostbuster gun symbol or the "Progressive" from my understanding. Unless the Progressive office is inside a school/university, government building, sports arena or stadium, you should be ok. I'm not an expert as I just finished up my CHL, so someone else can confirm also.

noelnkeith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    I'm in agreement, Prosuckive Insurance does just that, my wife - fiance at the time - had her new CRV totalled by one of their drivers that failed to yield at a left hand turn signal that din't have the arrow lit (just yielding left turn), thanks God there were witnesses to the status of the lights, they were the worst I've ever dealt with. :mad:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yea, that's what I understood. If they don't have the FULL 30.06 posting, or the red 50% sign, then you're good to go. You can ignore the ghostbuster gun symbol or the "Progressive" from my understanding. Unless the Progressive office is inside a school/university, government building, sports arena or stadium, you should be ok. I'm not an expert as I just finished up my CHL, so someone else can confirm also.

The red "51%" sign is intended for places that sell alcohol for ON-PREMISE consumption and derive over 51% of their income from the sale of that alcohol. However, if a non-51% place posts a sign you can ignore it. If a 51% place fails to post and you carry, you can be charged.

Where do you get government buildings, sports arenas and stadiums are off limits?

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Where do you get government buildings, sports arenas and stadiums are off limits?

Perhaps from Section 46.035 of the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws. They also include amusement parks and churches as well. There are links available at the top of this "Gun Legislation" section. Sorry but I am indeed too lazy to type it all out and the links are to a .pdf so copying and pasting won't work either.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    :cool:
    Perhaps from Section 46.035 of the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws. They also include amusement parks and churches as well. There are links available at the top of this "Gun Legislation" section. Sorry but I am indeed too lazy to type it all out and the links are to a .pdf so copying and pasting won't work either.

I knew i forgot something else... Churches (Places of worship) and amusement parks...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I asked the question because he is WRONG. Government Buildings are not off limits, neither are sports arenas or stadiums. Churches are only off limits if they post a 30.06 sign.

Amusement Parks also have to be 30.06 posted to be off limits.

To help you, under 46.035 the following are off limits without regard to 30.06;

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;

I have legally been armed to Texas Staduim (a sports stadium) when no listed event was taking place. I have also been armed into American Airlines Center when no listed activity was taking place.

The below are only off limits if 30.06 posted;

Texas Penal Code 46.15

4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;

(5) in an amusement park; or

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(c) at any meeting of a governmental entity.

i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    After another reading, I believe you are correct. What I didn't see is an actual reference to government buildings rather a meeting of governmental entities. Not sure why it is worded this way but it is.

On a side note I thought the next line was funny.......

(j) Subsections (a) and (b)(1) do not apply to a historical reenactment performed in compliance with the rules of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

Just the agency and the event connection struck me as hilarious.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    After another reading, I believe you are correct. What I didn't see is an actual reference to government buildings rather a meeting of governmental entities. Not sure why it is worded this way but it is.

On a side note I thought the next line was funny.......

(j) Subsections (a) and (b)(1) do not apply to a historical reenactment performed in compliance with the rules of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

Just the agency and the event connection struck me as hilarious.

Yeah, I didn't know TABC had rules about historical reenactments.???

Since the legislators made carry with a CHL legal, it would seem silly that we could not carry in government buildings. When 30.06 was first enacted, even some DPS offices had postings. When the exception for government owned properties was made, DPS took down their 30.06 signs.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    I've had USAA for umpteen years now. Insurance is like banking. It's all done over the 'net, mail or phone. I haven't talked to an insurance agent in person since the 80s.

Ya, all I've done over the years is call USAA. I've seen an agent in years.

Anyhow, Progressive sucks dispite this issue.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Remember, as much as 30.06 signs suck - it is a simple property rights issue - and since all liberty stems from the protection of property rights, I just decide to do business or not with that company. Don't get mad because they don't want guns on THEIR property, just don't do business with them....

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    You can be sure, because of their little sign and their tactless claims reps, and being lied to by one of their reps, I will NEVER have Progressive insurance - period.

psyfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Just to be fair.

I have USAA as well, and seldom go to their building(s).

Which are all obviously posted with (IIRC, it's been awhile) legal 30.06 warnings not to carry on their property!

Been treated fine over the years with their insurance, however, and would recommend them.

Best,

Will

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I would think they have probably lost a lot of business in Texas because it their repressive policy.

Given the plethora of insurance companies out there that already have CHL customers and given the tiny fraction of the population with CHLs, I bet Progressive doesn't even notice.

As of 2007, there are 289,000 CHL holders in Texas. The population of Texas is roughly 23,508,000. Of those, roughly 1/3 are under the age of 21 (less, actually). So there are about 15,750,000 adults over the age of 21. So CHL holders comprise approximate 1.8% of the Texas population over the age of 21. Of that 1.8%, many don't have Progressive and have never even considered Progressive. The vast majority don't have it simply because of the number of companies that offer insurance.

So the potential customer base or business being lost is a maximum of 1.8% of the eligible population, but in reality, is just a tiny fraction of that number.

Bottom line? With less than 2% of the >21 population, CHL clout is limited.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom