• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    I've been reading a bunch of threads and found the "written notice" thing to be pretty interesting in the healthclub thread.

I have a question... What constitutes "oral communication"? I mean, concealed is concealed. But allow me a stupid example. Let's say they post someone at the door who says to every person walking in "If you have any legally concealed guns, you're not allow in the premises."

Is that legal oral communication?
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I've been reading a bunch of threads and found the "written notice" thing to be pretty interesting in the healthclub thread.

I have a question... What constitutes "oral communication"? I mean, concealed is concealed. But allow me a stupid example. Let's say they post someone at the door who says to every person walking in "If you have any legally concealed guns, you're not allow in the premises."

Yep.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Um well, if they speak it with their mouth, then yes it's oral. But doesn't it say verbal communication? Oral just sounds, well, uh, what health club do you go to?

Since that scenario isn't realistic, unless they are 30.06 compliant, nothing prohibits you from carrying inside unless when you signed the contract, they verbally told you specifically that you are not allowed to legally carry in their building. However, unless they make that part of their normal orientation, which is doubtful, concealed is concealed so they would have no reason to verbally notify you in the future.

On a side note, a heath club is a scary place. With all the thefts from lockers in the big ones, and car burglary and thefts in the parking lots, it's probably better to make sure you have a secure locking safe/box attached to your car to leave it in.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Since that scenario isn't realistic, unless they are 30.06 compliant, nothing prohibits you from carrying inside unless when you signed the contract, they verbally told you specifically that you are not allowed to legally carry in their building.

Verbal or 'oral' notice that you aren't allowed to carry a concealed firearm into the premises qualifies under PC 30.06, provided the person giving the oral notice has the apparent authority to act for the owner.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Verbal or 'oral' notice that you aren't allowed to carry a concealed firearm into the premises qualifies under PC 30.06, provided the person giving the oral notice has the apparent authority to act for the owner.

Wrong wording on my part. By 30.06 compliant, I meant, and should have said, posted 30.06 sign.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Thanks, y'all. What I found interesting was that they could be the "wrong" language in the contract and it wouldn't suffice for written notification to comply with 30.06, but the criteria for verbal notification is relatively simple to attain.

Top Bottom