• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    View attachment 41695 Different batch, different lot number. This one too came from a Bucket 'o Bullets.

Gun was a Ruger MKII 10". Trigger is not working now:(.
    Good a time as any of I can't fix it to upgrade to the Volquartsen.
    Venture Surplus ad

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Bolt closed, trigger pulled, kaboom.

Trigger would not engage afterwards so I had some issues taking it apart to see if I needed to replace anything in the gun. Turns out there was a sliver of brass stuck in the mechanism. ( several whacks with a rubber mallet dislodged it)

Gun appears to be fine.

This is the second MKII this has happened to. I will not be putting any more of this ammo into my Ruger Pistols. I have about 2400 more rounds of this and it will be lever gun food.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Had the back of a Winchester .22 case blow off completely of last year too.glad you are ok and that is the extent of the damage.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have never had good experience with the Remington golden bullet .22lr. Never had one blow the rim off though! Federal and CCI have got the nod from me.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Never had a kaboom, but Remington Goldens don't feed worth a damn in my Buck Mark or my Marlin 60. They are too sticky. I never have had a FTF in either with Federal bulk pack.

festering

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    I usually shoot 300 to 500 rounds of 22 a week. I have more failures with the Winchester and Federal bulk packs. If anyone local wants to trade their Golden Bullets for Winchester or Federal bulk packs, I am willing. I'm in West Houston.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I haven't had good luck with Remington golden bullets or winchester in my ruger sr22 pistol. Federal and cci work fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have never had good experience with the Remington golden bullet .22lr. Never had one blow the rim off though! Federal and CCI have got the nod from me.

Remingtons don't work well in my Rem 597, a lot of jams. Winchesters are flawless. It's just a plinking rifle so I've only tried cheap bulk packs.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Remmy's run good in all my guns. A little dirty, but most go bang and tear a tight ragged hole in the target at 15 yards.

Have had much worse with Winchester.

Be well.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    I've had several Remington .22 cartridges that I could remove the bullet from the case mouth with my fingers, my only squib was a Remington UMC .40

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    A little googling shows that head case separation has been an issue with the golden bullets for years.

This is the second one I have had, from two different buckets of bullets, in two different MKII pistols.

Just wanted to give the other .22 shooters a heads up.

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpg
      IMG_1762.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 238

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I haven't had good luck with Remington golden bullets or winchester in my ruger sr22 pistol. Federal and cci work fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My Buck Mark doesn't like Winchester too much. It seems to run Federal fine. Winchester will run but only if the gun stays wet. Seems federal is loaded a hair hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Hey Hoji,

That picture looks like the case wasn't seated all the way when the firing pin hit. Looks like a bulge in between what would normally be the rim and the straight wall of the casing. It's possible this was already on it's way backwards out of the chamber when it busted through the side of the case. Hard to tell, though.

Either way, glad you're ok and the pistol is not blowed up!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hey Hoji,

That picture looks like the case wasn't seated all the way when the firing pin hit. Looks like a bulge in between what would normally be the rim and the straight wall of the casing. It's possible this was already on it's way backwards out of the chamber when it busted through the side of the case. Hard to tell, though.

Either way, glad you're ok and the pistol is not blowed up!
    Possible. I was slow firing and the bolt definitely felt like it closed all the way( same with the other MKII that this happened with) I have had no issues shooting it from the Henry but with a lever gun the bolt is definitely shut when you work the lever.

I am definitely leery of this ammo in a semi auto now though.

dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas
    I have shot several hundred rounds of Remington Golden Bullet ammo through my 10-22, S&W M&P 22 Compact, and my S&W M&P 15-22. The only issues I had were two failure to fire. I extracted each of those rounds and never missed another step.

Top Bottom