• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I buried my father recently. You likely didn't read about it, but his passing was significant because he was a genuine American hero. A typical depression-era small-town Texas boy, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps at age 19. A crew chief on B-24 Liberator bombers, he survived 32 missions over enemy territory; on every mission his plane was riddled like swiss cheese by enemy bullets and flak and twice he fired his .50-cal guns until they froze up. On one occasion his plane was shot down and he was the only surviving crew member; he spent some time in a field hospital and returned to action as soon as he was able. The 455th bomber group's pounding of German industrial targets played a significant part in destroying the Nazi's war effort and he and his unit were well-decorated.
    After WWII he was called back to serve in the Korean War even though he had married and started a family. After serving honorably in that conflict he returned to Texas where he and his bride raised three children. He worked hard, paid his taxes, and was a respected member of his church and his community. He loved his Lord and his family. On August 7, 2009, lung cancer did what the Luftwaffe couldn't--it killed the old soldier. One more member of the greatest generation has fallen, and I wonder if we will ever see their like again. RIP Jack Phelps, 1922-2009.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Here is a salute to a warrior of the finest tradition...

A hat off to a hard working, well respected and upright man...

And a prayer for he, you and your family regarding your loss.

Jeff B.

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Funny story about my Dad--

For his 80th birthday my family and I took him to Cancun to celebrate. My son thought it would be a great idea for him, me, and my Dad to go parasailing--you know, three generations. We all had our turns, and it was great fun. When we were reeling my Dad back down he had a really funny look on his face. I hollered up to him "Hey, Pop--you're not scared, are ya?" I'll never forget his reply: "No, but the last time I was hanging under a parachute my B-24 was in flames and I was wondering if those people on the ground were going to shoot me or rescue me. Guess I don't have to worry about that now."

Englishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    The New World
    I find stories like this personally touching. The area of eastern England where I originally come from even today the ‘A’ shaped runways are etched into the earth and can clearly be seen from the air long after the runways been torn up and the land returned to farming. A permanent reminder of the massive effort of the time. The old air bases were amazingly close together, finding your home was often a problem for the crews as they all looked the same.

There is a US War Grave near Cambridge [URL="http://www.madingleyamericancemetery.info"][URL]http://www.madingleyamericancemetery.info[/URL][/URL] where thousands of mostly American Airmen are laid to rest who made the flight back to base but did not survive. If you have never seen such a war grave, it a chilling reminder of the cost of war. I defy anyone to visit and not have a lump in your throat at the sight of the thousand of graves and contemplate the sacrifice made.
    This is a Thank you to your father and his colleagues for their sacrifice in defending my part of the world.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Another one of the Greatest Generation America will ever see.... I just we can hold onto the very thing they all gave so much up for.... Rest in Peace...
    Semper Fi
    MG

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    RIP Sir, I salute you for your contributions to our great nation and the man you were.

Deepest regrets to you and your family. Having buried both my mother and father in 2007, I can relate.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Funny story about my Dad--

For his 80th birthday my family and I took him to Cancun to celebrate. My son thought it would be a great idea for him, me, and my Dad to go parasailing--you know, three generations. We all had our turns, and it was great fun. When we were reeling my Dad back down he had a really funny look on his face. I hollered up to him "Hey, Pop--you're not scared, are ya?" I'll never forget his reply: "No, but the last time I was hanging under a parachute my B-24 was in flames and I was wondering if those people on the ground were going to shoot me or rescue me. Guess I don't have to worry about that now."

Thanks for sharing that!

That's an awesome remembrance.

Jeff B.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    He sounds like a great man. He sure lived an interesting life. It's a shame to lose men like that. :patriot:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Sadly I personally think there will never be another generation like his. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Top Bottom