Another Great One Falls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Reverendbiker, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Reverendbiker

Reverendbiker Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I buried my father recently. You likely didn't read about it, but his passing was significant because he was a genuine American hero. A typical depression-era small-town Texas boy, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps at age 19. A crew chief on B-24 Liberator bombers, he survived 32 missions over enemy territory; on every mission his plane was riddled like swiss cheese by enemy bullets and flak and twice he fired his .50-cal guns until they froze up. On one occasion his plane was shot down and he was the only surviving crew member; he spent some time in a field hospital and returned to action as soon as he was able. The 455th bomber group's pounding of German industrial targets played a significant part in destroying the Nazi's war effort and he and his unit were well-decorated.
    After WWII he was called back to serve in the Korean War even though he had married and started a family. After serving honorably in that conflict he returned to Texas where he and his bride raised three children. He worked hard, paid his taxes, and was a respected member of his church and his community. He loved his Lord and his family. On August 7, 2009, lung cancer did what the Luftwaffe couldn't--it killed the old soldier. One more member of the greatest generation has fallen, and I wonder if we will ever see their like again. RIP Jack Phelps, 1922-2009.

2. Jeff B

Jeff B Active Member

May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Here is a salute to a warrior of the finest tradition...

A hat off to a hard working, well respected and upright man...

And a prayer for he, you and your family regarding your loss.

Jeff B.

3. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    He sounds like he was a great man, you have my condolences.

4. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    My prayers for your family, thanks for his service and sacrifice.

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    +1

6. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Men like your father made America the greatest place on earth.

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    +2

8. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    +1

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wow, such an iconic life that he led. I'm sure he'll get to fly amongst the clouds now.

10. Reverendbiker

Reverendbiker Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Funny story about my Dad--

For his 80th birthday my family and I took him to Cancun to celebrate. My son thought it would be a great idea for him, me, and my Dad to go parasailing--you know, three generations. We all had our turns, and it was great fun. When we were reeling my Dad back down he had a really funny look on his face. I hollered up to him "Hey, Pop--you're not scared, are ya?" I'll never forget his reply: "No, but the last time I was hanging under a parachute my B-24 was in flames and I was wondering if those people on the ground were going to shoot me or rescue me. Guess I don't have to worry about that now."