1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    Snipped from the article....hopefully a short quote is allowed by board admin, if not, please let me know.

In his plea papers, Mr. Braziel admitted he routinely bought firearm firing mechanisms (termed “lower receivers”), used milling equipment to build them into full-fledged guns, and then sold the completed weapons for roughly $100 - $200 profit. He said he typically listed his firearms for sale on Armslist.com and conducted the sales in the parking lot of a local sporting goods store or out of his garage. In a four-year span, Mr. Braziel inadvertently sold firearms to four prohibited persons: a convicted felon, an man under felony indictment, an immigrant in the U.S. illegally, and Mr. Ator, a man who the courts deemed unfit to possess a firearm.

Looks like he was being a dumbass. Engaged in business and manufacturing without permission of .gov. Not surprised he is doing some time over this...

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Almost sounds like he was buying 80% lowers, finishing the milling process and selling complete weapons. No serial numbers then. This is just conjecture on my part.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Almost sounds like he was buying 80% lowers, finishing the milling process and selling complete weapons. No serial numbers then. This is just conjecture on my part.

He might have, but it seems 3 years ago he was buying 100% lowers and assembling them, and keeping records of it.

Agents traced the lower receiver of the gun Mr. Braziel sold to Mr. Ator to Mulehead Dans, a federally licensed firearm dealer in Lubbock. The owner of Mulehead Dans confirmed that Mr. Braziel often purchased lower receivers and firearms there.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    NOBODY should be required to have a license to slap an upper on a lower and sell it. NOBODY.

Did you read what was written in the article, he used milling equipment to build full fledged guns. Does not sound like a complete lower and upper slapped together.

@Renegade, oops, you beat me!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Sold gun 3 years before used in a crime, but thanks to his immaculate record keeping, they found 4 sales to prohibited persons. And to add to it, they hit him for not reporting profit from sales, and not running NICS even though he could not legally access it.

Man Who Sold Midland/Odessa Shooter AR-15 Used in Massacre Sentenced for Unlicensed Firearms Dealing | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov)
    I did not see in the article that you quoted that a BOS was used. Perhaps from some other source? Apparently the 4473 led ATF to Braziel. So, immaculate records were kept by an FFL and Braziel went down.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I did not see in the article that you quoted that a BOS was used. Perhaps from some other source? Apparently the 4473 led ATF to Braziel. So, immaculate records were kept by an FFL and Braziel went down.

Despite thread title, I said "his immaculate record keeping". That is how they connected Braziel to shooter and the other prohibited persons he sold to.

Had his transaction to the shooter been anonymous, they would not have been able to prove he sold it to the shooter 3 years earlier. And if his other transactions were anonymous, they would not have found out those folks were prohibited and charged him.

So once again, another person goes to jail for keeping records.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Despite thread title, I said "his immaculate record keeping". That is how they connected Braziel to shooter and the other prohibited persons he sold to.

Had his transaction to the shooter been anonymous, they would not have been able to prove he sold it to the shooter 3 years earlier. And if his other transactions were anonymous, they would not have found out those folks were prohibited and charged him.

So once again, another person goes to jail for keeping records.
    I may be mistaken but it appears the gun was traced to Braziel because the 4473 that he filled out when he bought it (lower or whatever) from a FFL led it to him. Did he keep records that showed he sold it to the shooter, possibly but I didn't see that anywhere. Braziel was caught because feds had the gun, traced it to an FFL and from there it went to Braziel. Braziel kept records? Maybe and I believe I read that he did in some post somewhere but the chain of command leading to the shooter from this ATF report did not indicate that Braziel kept records although perhaps he did. What I don't understand is why they were able to trace the gun to an FFL and then to Braziel if he was just buying 80% lowers and making them into complete guns. 80% lowers don't require going through an FFL do they? This must have been a complete lower or a complete firearm. Either way, Braziel was a stupid idiot. Renegade, you are an FFL right, if ATF came to you with that gun you would have been able to point to the buyer right?

IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    It sounds like a pretty simple situation. We have usurped authority in the hands of vindictive feds used to smack down someone who must have been a special kind of stupid in order to have put himself in the situation to get smacked down.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What I don't understand is why they were able to trace the gun to an FFL and then to Braziel if he was just buying 80% lowers and making them into complete guns. 80% lowers don't require going through an FFL do they? This must have been a complete lower or a complete firearm. Either way, Braziel was a stupid idiot. Renegade, you are an FFL right, if ATF came to you with that gun you would have been able to point to the buyer right?

Separate events over time.

3 years ago he was buying serialized lowers from FFL and adding uppers.

Then he expanded his business and started building firearms from 80%.

As an FFL I am required to keep records.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Separate events over time.

3 years ago he was buying serialized lowers from FFL and adding uppers.

Then he expanded his business and started building firearms from 80%.

As an FFL I am required to keep records.
    So, how does this relate to the BOS crowd? Seems like his downfall was the FFL crowd doing legal record keeping. The lesson to be learned is to not buy from an FFL if you are going to illegally sell guns.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So, how does this relate to the BOS crowd? So, how does this relate to the BOS crowd? Seems like his downfall was the FFL crowd doing legal record keeping.
    It relates because BOS is a record, if there were no records, there would be no problem.

The lesson to be learned is to not buy from an FFL if you are going to illegally sell guns.

The ones to other prohibited persons were legal since he did not knowingly sell to them.

Top Bottom