• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    I don't sell any guns anymore and I don't use them for crimes. So .............. I guess I'm OK?
    At least until Sniff and Blow change things such as to administratively convert you into a criminal for possessing or being thought to possess guns.
    Hurley's Gold

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    It relates because BOS is a record, if there were no records, there would be no problem.

The ones to other prohibited persons were legal since he did not knowingly sell to them.
    I don't understand your post. They had the shooter and the gun. They traced the gun to an FFL and then to Braziel I guess from the 4473. How could there be no records in that scenario? If there was no 4473 then they wouldn't have had a link to Braziel. Then the FFL would be the one going to jail.
    FFL did the legal thing and made a 4473 and that was the record used to catch the guy not a BOS (I don't know if there was one or not) .
    I guess I understand your feeling that a BOS can get you but in this case the 4473 was what caught Braziel. I remember buying guns where you just walked in to the LGS, plop your money down and walk out. Bought my first rifle at age 12 unaccompanied by a parent that way and I wish that I still could.

IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    I don't understand your post. They had the shooter and the gun. They traced the gun to an FFL and then to Braziel I guess from the 4473. How could there be no records in that scenario? If there was no 4473 then they wouldn't have had a link to Braziel. Then the FFL would be the one going to jail.
    FFL did the legal thing and made a 4473 and that was the record used to catch the guy not a BOS (I don't know if there was one or not) .
    I guess I understand your feeling that a BOS can get you but in this case the 4473 was what caught Braziel. I remember buying guns where you just walked in to the LGS, plop your money down and walk out. Bought my first rifle at age 12 unaccompanied by a parent that way and I wish that I still could.
    The likely problem is that Braziel had a BOS from the sale to the shooter. Without that, the ATF has no proof the Brazil didn't sell the gun to you, then you sold it to me, then I sold it to the shooter. They also can't prove he made a profit therefore leaving him outside the standards for dealing w/o a license.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Shit....... just get the dude to sign a BOS, take his photo and have him put his thumbprint on it.....

Do everything you can for them to trace it back to you when some idiot does something stupid.....doesn't matter if he wasn't a prohibited person......and the sale was legal...........

If they want to hold you personally accountable for someone else's actions.......do everything humanly possible to help them find you.....

That....is exactly where they are headed.............

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Many, many, many years ago, (when I was 13 yrs. old) and I rode my bicycle to downtown Waco and bought a single shot shotgun at a pawn shop (for $15) and no paperwork. I hoisted it on my shoulder with a sling and rode my bicycle back home. My how times have changed! :rolleyes: (not sure what the "arrow" thingy is?)

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The likely problem is that Braziel had a BOS from the sale to the shooter. Without that, the ATF has no proof the Brazil didn't sell the gun to you, then you sold it to me, then I sold it to the shooter. They also can't prove he made a profit therefore leaving him outside the standards for dealing w/o a license.
    Just no mention of this in the article quoted but I do believe reading somewhere that he did have BOS, just can't find it. BOS in this case was not what caught this dummy.

IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    Many, many, many years ago, (when I was 13 yrs. old) and I rode my bicycle to downtown Waco and bought a single shot shotgun at a pawn shop (for $15) and no paperwork. I hoisted it on my shoulder with a sling and rode my bicycle back home. My how times have changed! :rolleyes:
    Yes, we used to go by the Constitution.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It's a moot point pretty much. He admitted to doing the illegal transfers to prohibited persons. He got a two year sentence. He got off light. He plead guilty to the charges. He was offered a plea bargain and he took it.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Braziel kept Bill of Sales. Those Bill of Sales showed he sold gun to shooter as well as others. ATF checked all those Bill of Sales and found some were prohibited. Then they decided he sold too many guns, and was an unlicensed dealer. And as a dealer, he didnt run NICS checks. And then they checked his 1040s and see he didn't report the sale income. Pretty much EXACTLY how they got Shipley but with more charges.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It's a moot point pretty much. He admitted to doing the illegal transfers to prohibited persons. He got a two year sentence. He got off light. He plead guilty to the charges. He was offered a plea bargain and he took it.

Moot for him, but a good learn for the rest of us. No matter what precautions you take, you never know who will wind up with your gun and how far authorities will go.

Needless to say, as an FFL I am OCD about being squeaky clean and do not even take the tags off my mattresses.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Braziel kept Bill of Sales. Those Bill of Sales showed he sold gun to shooter as well as others. ATF checked all those Bill of Sales and found some were prohibited. Then they decided he sold too many guns, and was an unlicensed dealer. And as a dealer, he didnt run NICS checks. And then they checked his 1040s and see he didn't report the sale income. Pretty much EXACTLY how they got Shipley but with more charges.
    Didn't read the article, but if he was finishing out 80% lowers and selling them, they most likely got him for not paying his tax on manufacturing a firearm.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Moot for him, but a good learn for the rest of us. No matter what precautions you take, you never know who will wind up with your gun and how far authorities will go.

Needless to say, as an FFL I am OCD about being squeaky clean and do not even take the tags off my mattresses.

You NEVER mess with the mattress police! NEVER! They are relentless!

Seriously, good points. A private citizen doing a private sale is not required to keep paperwork. No paperwork, means you can claim ignorance, and they can't prove otherwise.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I thought I read somewhere that he had BOS just not in the quoted article you referred to. So, if you are going to sell guns illegally don't first buy them from an FFL and don't keep a BOS. Braziel's real problem was he bought from an FFL. If you are going to sell illegally, buy without a BOS, from a stranger, don't show any ID and don't keep any records. Sell them the same way, no BOS. Sarcasm of course.
    How stupid can this guy have been? Got off lucky with only 2 years.

Top Bottom