• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    And how is that?

How is what, exactly? Are you going to tell me that illegally being forced to stop is somehow different if it's off duty cops doing the stopping? Either the law is the law and applies universally or there is no law and we can all do whatever we want.

On what legal grounds can a private citizen force me to stop on a public roadway and "request" my participation in a survey?
    Military Camp

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Just remember, NOBODY ever wins a fight with cops.

Except the lawyers.

That is utterly ridiculous. It is highly offensive as well. I know MANY cops, not only in the DFW are but all over, and as as former cop myself I can tell you that cops hope they NEVER have to shoot someone.

That may be true, but there have been a couple of high profile cases recently where there were some not clean shoots. Sometimes there are bad cops too. Sometimes good cops make a bad decision. It happens. You know it as well as the rest of us do.

And ask Rodney King if he thinks he "won" anything.

He's been dead for a while now, so that would be a little difficult to do. Drowned in his backyard pool while on drugs if I recall correctly.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    How many times do I have to write it? YOUR RECOURSE IS THE COURTS. Just because you THINK they have no right to search, does not mean they do not. A LEOhas no obligation to explain to you or convince you of his PC or exception to the search warrsnt requirement.

Until they just start butting bullets in the heads of citizens. Then where is your fucking recourse. Don't submit to those fuckers. That is your recourse. See who backs down and if a fight is what they want, then a fight they will get.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Hey, I don't need a crystal ball. They will, sooner or later, start hauling us off to camps or they will just put bullets in the back of our heads and push us into ditches. That is the truth. We either stop this shit now, or this will certainly be our future.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Just remember, NOBODY ever wins a fight with cops.

Most of us like the police. Most well meaning citizens respect LE and the system and that is why they don't win fights with them. But when LE on all levels passes the point of no return, the country boys will get together and make short work of them. That is a promise.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    What can and should you do? Take it to the courts.

What do the pieces of trash who do this shit truly deserve? To be attacked and beaten to within inches of death by a mob of pissed off citizens who can't stand overly intrusive government.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Papers-Please1.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yep, and some of us don't have the resources to fight it out in court. Especially not against the government's basically endless funding... (And let's not forget who the judge works for.)

Still waiting for TXI to explain how off-duty cops doing this in Texas is any different from Joe Schmoe doing it.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Yep, and some of us don't have the resources to fight it out in court. Especially not against the government's basically endless funding... (And let's not forget who the judge works for.)

Technically, you have more money than the federal government, so if it's only about money, you should win. (unless you've got more than 17 or 18 trillion in debt)

And I'm not TXI, but the difference I see is the badge. On or off duty, if he's wearing a uniform and badge, that makes it much different than Joe Schmoe. Our officers are supposed to be held to a higher standard, so their actions should be unquestionable in an ideal world. In the real world, that means we should come down on them harder when the cross the line hiding behind the badge, but the only way to hold them accountable without digging yourself a big hole, is through the courts after the fact.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Technically, you have more money than the federal government, so if it's only about money, you should win. (unless you've got more than 17 or 18 trillion in debt)

And I'm not TXI, but the difference I see is the badge. On or off duty, if he's wearing a uniform and badge, that makes it much different than Joe Schmoe. Our officers are supposed to be held to a higher standard, so their actions should be unquestionable in an ideal world. In the real world, that means we should come down on them harder when the cross the line hiding behind the badge, but the only way to hold them accountable without digging yourself a big hole, is through the courts after the fact.

Wait, back up a second. Cops get to use their uniform and badge to make money when they're off duty? And this is not only legal, but considered moral?

You mean the cops who did this crap in Texas were wearing their uniforms while they were doing something that was plainly illegal for them to do if they hadn't punched out first... and I'm supposed to be OK with this.

OK, it's official. The world is insane.

I think I've found the sticking point that's causing me not to be able to understand anything beyond: The concept that it's somehow ethical for a cop to rent the badge of authority granted him by taxpayers to make a few bucks on the side. That's just... wow.

I grew up among cops and never heard of such a thing. Then again, those were the days when it was considered unethical for a cop to accept a free coffee at a gas station. My how times have changed.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wait, back up a second. Cops get to use their uniform and badge to make money when they're off duty? And this is not only legal, but considered moral?

You mean the cops who did this crap in Texas were wearing their uniforms while they were doing something that was plainly illegal for them to do if they hadn't punched out first... and I'm supposed to be OK with this.

OK, it's official. The world is insane.

I think I've found the sticking point that's causing me not to be able to understand anything beyond: The concept that it's somehow ethical for a cop to rent the badge of authority granted him by taxpayers to make a few bucks on the side. That's just... wow.

I grew up among cops and never heard of such a thing. Then again, those were the days when it was considered unethical for a cop to accept a free coffee at a gas station. My how times have changed.

This is really common no? (not saying its right) A big church that i attended had a police officer there all the time, in uniform, i assumed the church was paying him and not the city.

As far as how people are OK with these road side coerced searches given the air of legitimacy by federally hired out cops and cop cars...its like we speak different languages.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    This is really common no? (not saying its right) A big church that i attended had a police officer there all the time, in uniform, i assumed the church was paying him and not the city.

As far as how people are OK with these road side coerced searches given the air of legitimacy by federally hired out cops and cop cars...its like we speak different languages.
    Some PDs have programs where private organizations pay the PD for officers to be at various events such as road closers for movie filming or ocnstruction, public places where alcohol will be served(wedding reception), funeral processions, etc. The APD cop who worked our road closers when we were pumping concrete for the last highrise I did downtown was essentially a sub contractor. APD has a company that delegated side work jobs to certain officers, the officers were paid from this third party company that was retained by APD. They could not use their APD issued vehicle to do these jobs but were in full uniform, gun and all. As he explained it to me he had full police power while working for us which was nice since we didn't technically have a road closer permit on many occasions but having a policeman sitting at the barricades I guess made the city of Austin code enforcement not even think to check our permits.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've heard of (and seen) police departments charging for things like public events etc. that required additional police presence. But those were cops on the clock.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    This country needs a new rule: If a cop is wearing a uniform, flashes a badge, or tells you he's a cop, he should be held to cop standards whether on duty or not. There is almost no reason to do any of those things if you are not acting in an LEO capacity.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've heard of (and seen) police departments charging for things like public events etc. that required additional police presence. But those were cops on the clock.

Perhaps it's different in San Antonio. I've seen many off duty officers, in uniform, working as security on their own time, being paid by someone other than the PD.

Top Bottom