• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    In keeping with tradition with my shit luck with Ruger, I tried out my Ruger American in .300 win mag today. First shot went off without a hitch but when I tried to pull back on the bolt handle, it was completely seized. Had to do the old mosin nagant and whack the handle with a rubber mallet to free the cartridge. The bolt handle would move up and down freely but I tore my pinky up against the scope with the amount of force I had to use to pull the bolt handle back.

I was using factory ammo and tried three different loads/brands with the same result. I am thinking the chamber needs to be polished as every single piece of brass that came out after firing had the exact same scratch made into the brass ( looks like an L shape circled in the pictures). I checked the bore when I got home and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Anything else it could be besides garbage QC from the factory?

IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpg
      IMG_0882.jpg
      879.7 KB · Views: 602
    • IMG_0884.jpg
      IMG_0884.jpg
      237.8 KB · Views: 610

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Do you know if they charge shipping to and from? I usually just end up fixing their mistakes on my own but this is beyond my expertise

Like yourself, I usually just corrected the problems myself, but most of my Rugers were much older, so probably out of the warranty period.

Contact Ruger's CS Monday and see what it takes to get it fixed. Not 100% sure, but I THINK they will pay shipping both ways. A member on another forum a few years said they did for him.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Like yourself, I usually just corrected the problems myself, but most of my Rugers were much older, so probably out of the warranty period.

Contact Ruger's CS Monday and see what it takes to get it fixed. Not 100% sure, but I THINK they will pay shipping both ways. A member on another forum a few years said they did for him.
    Yea I am going to call them on monday and see what happens. Good news is atleast this rifle is grouping well enough with factory loads. My 308 needs handloads in order to have groupings that don't look like a shotgun blast.

Think I am going over to Savage though for the next bolt gun

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    First time I shot it, I had a significant problem with a Ruger pistol.

I brought it back to Cabelas where I'd bought it a week before.

They sent it off to the factory and called me when it was in and completely repaired.

Their QC blows....

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    First time I shot it, I had a significant problem with a Ruger pistol.

I brought it back to Cabelas where I'd bought it a week before.

They sent it off to the factory and called me when it was in and completely repaired.

Their QC blows....

1. 10/22 rear sight fell off by itself
    2. MPR #1 handguard came loose in the first couple of rounds. Other than that, an awesome rifle
    3. MPR #2 Gas block was canted causing the handguard to be canted as well. Pistol grip came loose too. Giant POS
    4. The .308 modified choke patterning bolt gun
    5. This "permanent single shot" .300 win mag

I have had some awesome single and double action revolvers from them. Also my security-9 from them was a great pistol. Just too many bad experiences for me to ever go this route again. Their QC does indeed blow. I was done after the .308 but the .300 win mag practically fell into my lap

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Do you know if they charge shipping to and from? I usually just end up fixing their mistakes on my own but this is beyond my expertise

You pay shipping to them. They pay it back to you.

I only had one issue with Ruger. I bought a box of stuff at an estate sale. It had this POS pistol in the box. Ruger replaced it at no charge.

6ee9344fc15996c3712391bb158857b0.jpg

Attachments

• 6ee9344fc15996c3712391bb158857b0.jpg
      6ee9344fc15996c3712391bb158857b0.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 719

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Man...seems to be the trend. I got lucky with my ranch American in 223. Feeds smooth and groups nice. Not so lucky with a few other guns.

My mpr is a bit special. I believe I mentioned that to you. As far as your handguard and grip, just gotta check stuff and make sure it’s torqued to spec.

my American in 22-250 is waiting on a Bell and Carlson stock. The bedding in the factory stock was jacked up.

so far so good with my pc9.

Other Ruger guns that gave me issues: sp101. The barrel was canted. Magazine for my American in 22 mag. Replaced for free. Unexpectedly the sr22 I had took a dump on me. Every round cycled. No issues. I thought I had a gem. Funny story I almost had a trade with sql geek and though it didn’t happen I was out a few months later shooting the sr22 and first round that day it stopped cycling. I was shocked. Also glad sql didn’t get stuck with it. First thing that went threw my head. Lol glad he didn’t get this.

Ruger is definitely having qc issues.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Man...seems to be the trend. I got lucky with my ranch American in 223. Feeds smooth and groups nice. Not so lucky with a few other guns.

My mpr is a bit special. I believe I mentioned that to you. As far as your handguard and grip, just gotta check stuff and make sure it’s torqued to spec.

my American in 22-250 is waiting on a Bell and Carlson stock. The bedding in the factory stock was jacked up.

so far so good with my pc9.

Other Ruger guns that gave me issues: sp101. The barrel was canted. Magazine for my American in 22 mag. Replaced for free. Unexpectedly the sr22 I had took a dump on me. Every round cycled. No issues. I thought I had a gem. Funny story I almost had a trade with sql geek and though it didn’t happen I was out a few months later shooting the sr22 and first round that day it stopped cycling. I was shocked. Also glad sql didn’t get stuck with it. First thing that went threw my head. Lol glad he didn’t get this.

Ruger is definitely having qc issues.

Yea I can understand once but its just too many times for me. Especially when I can buy from a different brand and get something that is good to go out of the box. One thing I never understood about being alive today. I spend money on something, I expect it to work, not be inconvenienced by having to send some shit box back to a company who can't get their shit together but I digress.

The MPR is awesome on paper and if you get a good one they are fantastic. My first one was great and I should have kept it. The other ones I have had after are not worth it, especially for $8-850 or whatever the hell the panic prices are at.

Side note - My new to me Remington Model 7 has a B&C stock. I had to send it back to them to get refinished. I think the guy I got it from had it stored in a hard case or something for awhile because the finish had decayed into a sticky mess in places and I read online that this could happen with their stocks.

Just wanted to give you a warning about that. I dont use a case for anything unless I am going to and from the range but long term storage is a no go with the B&C stocks. I am excited to get it back though. Not sure if you have ever owned or handled one but the quality is high.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I sent one back to them, they emailed me a shipping label, they paid shipping both ways. Make sure you have a box though. They will fix it, they have good customer service.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I sent one back to them, they emailed me a shipping label, they paid shipping both ways. Make sure you have a box though. They will fix it, they have good customer service.
    Thats good to hear. I actually have the box my treestand came in. I think that will have to do

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yea I can understand once but its just too many times for me. Especially when I can buy from a different brand and get something that is good to go out of the box. One thing I never understood about being alive today. I spend money on something, I expect it to work, not be inconvenienced by having to send some shit box back to a company who can't get their shit together but I digress.

The MPR is awesome on paper and if you get a good one they are fantastic. My first one was great and I should have kept it. The other ones I have had after are not worth it, especially for $8-850 or whatever the hell the panic prices are at.

Side note - My new to me Remington Model 7 has a B&C stock. I had to send it back to them to get refinished. I think the guy I got it from had it stored in a hard case or something for awhile because the finish had decayed into a sticky mess in places and I read online that this could happen with their stocks.

Just wanted to give you a warning about that. I dont use a case for anything unless I am going to and from the range but long term storage is a no go with the B&C stocks. I am excited to get it back though. Not sure if you have ever owned or handled one but the quality is high.
    Thanks for the heads up. Will be my first b&c. I’m not even that excited about it. My ranch rifle shoots great. A 223 gets the job done and I can run my can on it.

Top Bottom