• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I mentioned pits, Corgi, Boston Terriers and chihuahuas. What other large dogs are we talking about? I had a giant Akita at one time. Was a lover type. I just believe that genetics plays a large part of a dogs character and to deny that is not rational.
    You are right. Genetics plays a part. But how they are socialized and tought plays a big role as well.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    GSD = best dog breed on the planet
    IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
      IMG_0773.jpg
      271.2 KB · Views: 374
    • IMG_0776.jpg
      IMG_0776.jpg
      448.9 KB · Views: 341

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    I've owned Dobermans and GSDs. They are the most loyal, obedient, intelligent and gentle fur friends a man could have. When I walked them I would see people recoil in fear, crossing the street and picking up their children because of the BS rumors and movies. I actually had someone's purse dog come running out of their house and attack my dobie. Delilah just looked at it like WTF? and never made a move. The owner comes running out of the house screaming at me to 'control my dog'. I'm thinking the same thing as my dog, WTF?, my dog is under control, on a leash and not aggressive and your pocket poodle tries to attack it and it's MY fault? I did lose my cool and tell the biatch that if her rabid rat dog had actually bit my dog I would have stepped on it and then filed a police complaint for unleashed dog. That shut her up.

Here is my GSD helping care for our foster kittens. Yeah, she's mean...LOL
    gentle gsd.jpg

Attachments

• gentle gsd.jpg
      gentle gsd.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 390
    Last edited:

Oldbluered

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    I read most posts and probably forgot as many talking points in the process...While I lived with my brother, he had a pit bull(etc other names). This dog was a muscle bound bad ass MFer. Was a hog dog from birth but treated like shit and was basically rescued by my bro. My toddler of a niece (at the time) could step on, hit, pull tail or anything and he wouldn't do anything but take it. He would let you or anybody else/other animal eat his food, play with his toys, etc, unless he was told to take it and he would just push in but not attack to take it. After a certain amount of studying his behavior, he was always left alone with my niece and no harm came to her. If someone other than his family came near her without permission by family, the warnings would come. No attack, just a **** with her and you will regret it type of warning. This was all natural, he wasn't trained specifically for this. Twice he attacked another living creature, outside of hunting. Once a lab/Golden retriever attacked and nearly killed him before he was told to "get em" and kept himself from being killed. The other time was when we were separating hogs, which he was trained to hunt, he locked on and was beat off eventually. Hands in his mouth while he was attached and didn't go after anybody. He was the best dog I never owned.
    Pits might have been abused for their fighting abilities but I've also seen them be LGDs. Seen Cur dogs, retrievers, great danes, pointers as herding dogs. English bulldogs were technically fighting dogs but I can't remember a time where they were trained to fight recently. As in forced to fight, locked in dark spaces or forced to sniff substances (supposedly like gun powder or chemicals) and get that kill mentality. To me its all about the owner and the dogs up bringing. Animal instincts will kick in at some point and they may be better adapted to winning a fight but my Rhodesian Ridgeback whooped my brothers pit and I'm sure there are tons of other instances. Throw me in a ring with someone else where the winner lives and I'd probably kill someone. God forgive me. Should all humans suffer from the stereotype I just created, not to mention the ones that already exist in the world about people/types of people.

Wheeeew that's the most I've ever written here. Dam you all for getting me to type this much. :fireworks:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I mentioned pits, Corgi, Boston Terriers and chihuahuas. What other large dogs are we talking about? I had a giant Akita at one time. Was a lover type. I just believe that genetics plays a large part of a dogs character and to deny that is not rational.

Well if you want to push the narrative of genetics, I guess we could say, if a person is born black, they are more likely to be less intelligent, and prone to violence? Genetics play a large role in how the dog, or person appears physically, but IMO, I seriously doubt it plays a part in how the dog interacts with people.

If you have some proof to the contrary, please post it up. I have cited several sources that pretty much support my statements.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Genetics does play some role. Just like some people, of every color. No matter how they are treated or what you try to teach them, they will do harm to others. I have seen enough to assume that this holds true of nearly every species. Not just people and dogs.
    Some animals, any species, are just plain mean.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Well if you want to push the narrative of genetics, I guess we could say, if a person is born black, they are more likely to be less intelligent, and prone to violence? Genetics play a large role in how the dog, or person appears physically, but IMO, I seriously doubt it plays a part in how the dog interacts with people.

If you have some proof to the contrary, please post it up. I have cited several sources that pretty much support my statements.
    Yep, I posted about Cesar Milan. He rescues pit bulls and has a pack of about 30 at any given time. All are well behaved because he is the leader of the pack. My daughter has the sweetest female pit bull. She will lick you to death. It is all about the people who own the dog

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

If I have to prove to you that genetics plays a role forget it. Dogs are all the same species. Breeds have specific genetic traits. Blood Hounds and Boston Terriers have completely different traits but they are both dogs. If you do not recognize the physical and behavioral differences I can't do much more to convince you. People that own pit bulls tend to be so defensive about their dogs. The problem is that the statistics don't change, pits are responsible for more deadly human attack than any other dog in this country. That's from the CDC.
    Every dog book that you buy gives a history of the breed, what they are bred for, temperament, intelligence, etc.
    I in no way implied that blacks are less intelligent than whites. I never said that I did not like large dogs. I never even implied that I wouldn't own a pit.
    Perhaps we can discuss bills of sale next.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, I wanted to give my opinion on pita but I lost half my brain cells when I read that no dogs should be in a home with children.

Lucky I survived my childhood with multiple dogs, often unsupervised, in the house with me. And my children in the same situation...my god, I just got my daughter her own puppy!

WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!

And Pits ain’t that bad. I used to think so but over the years I’ve met pits that weren’t chained up beside some white trash house/junk yard, mostly ignored and likely abused. The ones I’ve met raised by a loving owner were just as friendly or more so than other breeds I’ve come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If I have to prove to you that genetics plays a role forget it. Dogs are all the same species. Breeds have specific genetic traits. Blood Hounds and Boston Terriers have completely different traits but they are both dogs. If you do not recognize the physical and behavioral differences I can't do much more to convince you. People that own pit bulls tend to be so defensive about their dogs. The problem is that the statistics don't change, pits are responsible for more deadly human attack than any other dog in this country. That's from the CDC.
    Every dog book that you buy gives a history of the breed, what they are bred for, temperament, intelligence, etc.
    I in no way implied that blacks are less intelligent than whites. I never said that I did not like large dogs. I never even implied that I wouldn't own a pit.
    Perhaps we can discuss bills of sale next.

I guess you are going to try and convince me a I need a BOS to buy a dog from another person? Or maybe they should check and see if I'm up to date on my rabies shots too!

Rotor, I'm defensive about all dog breeds, not just pit bulls. I have a wide assortment of dog breeds here at home. One is a pit bull, and a few are pit bull mixes. But I'm sick and tired of dog breeds, and dogs in general getting a bad rap from people that don't have a clue, and too narrow-minded to take the time to learn about dogs.

Now you want to throw statistics into the discussion? That was tried earlier in the discussion. It failed. Want to talk statistics? How about this one. In 2017, 39,773 people died by guns. Hmmm....Damn, guns are dangerous and we should ban them right? Well without proper context, statistics are meaningless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_v..., gun deaths reached,109 people dying per day.

So yes, the greater number of deaths attributed to one dog breed were pit bulls. But without proper context, those numbers mean nothing. Do you have any factual evidence or proof of how those deaths occurred by pit bulls and under what circumstances?

By no means am I naive about dogs, or that there aren't anomalies, or abnormal cases of "bad" dogs. Just look to Charles Manson, or John Wayne Gacy, or the Son of Sam killer, and I'm sure such cases can occur among dog breeds as well. But I'll stand on my statement, IMO, 99% of "bad" dogs and cases where things went wrong with a pit bull, or any dog breed for that matter, can be traced right back to the owner, or owners of the dog.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    As gun owners you think we would look past a statistic.

A dog is like clay in your hand. From a pup you mold it. I’m not some self proclaimed expert. I’m just involved with the pets I own. From never having cats that need litter boxes and wait at the door to dogs that know when to behave just by giving them a look.

I’m gonna probably stir up a storm saying this but I’m telling y’all: if a dog is normal but out of control it’s because there’s no leader of the house/family. This goes back to my comment a dog is like clay. Do not mold it and see what happens. You’re dog will understand being put in his place and kindness/forgiveness. A pack leader is god to a dog.

I will share my opinion again and even more colorful this time: I see too many scum bags with a popular dog. What do you think will happen to statistics? Let’s have a break down in that data. Percentage of ghetto owners? Percentage of douche flute flat bill ball cap owners? Percentage of they just out of prison and connect with dogs cause they can’t use drugs anymore so they need to feel like an expert in something owners? The no training but “my baby would never do that” owners? Or the classic once your dog discovers he’s got balls you discover you don’t owner?

Stats are bs.

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Well... this got quite emotional...a thread about dogs....on a Texas gun forum...who’d a thunk it? LOL!

And despite my words, I was taken way out of context and attributed with a fair amount of misquotes, which is why I kinda regret starting this thread and done posting or reading in it. I’m in no mood these days to argue with emotional issues.

I’m honestly glad you all love your dogs...it’s way better than the alternative.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Well... this got quite emotional...a thread about dogs....on a Texas gun forum...who’d a thunk it? LOL!

And despite my words, I was taken way out of context and attributed with a fair amount of misquotes, which is why I kinda regret starting this thread and done posting or reading in it. I’m in no mood these days to argue with emotional issues.

I’m honestly glad you all love your dogs...it’s way better than the alternative.
    Lol you started the thread. You know full well most of us got nothing better to do.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Oh no you dont... you not getting off that easy! Get back here!

Lol

Top Bottom