• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I have tons of respect for military warriors. Retired from the military myself and worked classified programs as a civilian employee in the Pentagon. Met many folks involved with getting Bin Laden and they are worthy of everyone's respect. I read the Admiral's book about his career as a SEAL and his running the Bin Laden operation. But he likes Obama, knows Biden and is a swamp rat. In an op-ed today, he stated he is a "pro-life, pro 2nd Amendment, conservative" and he voted for Biden. Swamp rat looking for a top job in a maybe Biden Administration.

I posit that he is neither a conservative (read his book and look between the lines) and by voting for Biden is neither pro-life or pro-2nd Amendment. It's sad, I worked for 6 General/Flag Officer's in the Pentagon and knew many others. They almost to a one were closet lefties. I don't know if its the service schools, the competition to get ahead or just my bad luck. I have to say there is no one I respect more than an Air Force 1 star who retired from the Service so his kids could graduate high school from the same one they attended for years. He sacrificed at least one more Star, maybe a third. You don't see that kind of sacrifice to often.

Anyway, a cautionary tale of a senior military officer who really was and will continue to be a swamp rat.
    Hurley's Gold

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I flew with McRaven’s son, who is the spitting image of his mother. I served for a brief period under Bill McRaven during a deployment and had an opportunity to share a meal or two with him.

He struck me then as being a socially liberal hawk, which is not as strange as it sounds among military officers.

His schtick in the WSJ op-ed today is, I think, too late to be of help in the race fora cabinet position and instead is testing the waters for a centrist 2024 run.

Ever since Eisenhower, there’s been a smattering of flag officers test the waters only to realize the professionalism ingrained over a career in the military prevents them from being a successful politician.

There’s an adage that your selected to O-6, and elected to flag rank due to requiring both the advice and consent of the Senate, which stains you for political life with the mark of the party that approved of your nomination. In some degrees, it’s not unlike the journey one takes to a federal judgeship and later the Supreme Court.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Typically, IIRC, generals and admirals. But anyone that commands a battle group, sea or land, instead of a single vessel or unit. A division or more for ground forces as a rule. It's unusual for someone under those ranks unless it is as acting command due to a loss or turnover of command.
    I forget the ranking in the airforce but it's similar. IIRC, and I could be wrong, generals command an air group with commanders, usually colonels, commanding fighter and bomber wings and support aircraft.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    May I ask what is a flag officer?

One of O-7 thru O-10 ranks. For everyone but the Navy/Coast Guard in order it’s Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, and General. For the Navy/CG, Rear Admiral (Lower Half), Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral.

The term Flag Officer or Flag Rank refers today to the fact that Generals/Admirals are authorized to fly a flag with the corresponding number of stars on it wherever that may be.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    McRaven needs to follow the Marshall Model where GO/FOs don't stick their noses in politics.

He was adamantly against campus carry while the chancellor at UT.

Toddnjoyce is correct, he's testing the waters for a possible 2024 run. That's the last thing this country needs...

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    One of O-7 thru O-10 ranks. For everyone but the Navy/Coast Guard in order it’s Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, and General. For the Navy/CG, Rear Admiral (Lower Half), Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral.

The term Flag Officer or Flag Rank refers today to the fact that Generals/Admirals are authorized to fly a flag with the corresponding number of stars on it wherever that may be.
    Thank you.

Top Bottom