Antibiotics.

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by grasshopperglock, Aug 11, 2016.

1. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    Doing research into storing/making penicillin, I learned of the alternative. Having friends in the veterinarian business, I knew that they used the same drugs prescribed to humans. Like Tramadol. Given to my dog after he was fixed.

Stocking up the first aid inventory. One of the most important things are antibiotics. Wet penicillin has to be refrigerated and all the things it'd take to keep the fridge running in a specifically small range of temps. I need dry antibiotics and I'm sure my doctor won't prescribe 60 tablets of 500mg just so I can store them for the Clinton/Trump apocalypse.

Enter....Veterinarian antibiotics. Readily available and usually made under the same roof as human medications. USDA inspected and regulated ingredients.

Below is a list of 'Fish Antibiotics'. Dry, capsules that don't need to be refrigerated.

Penicillin
    Penicillin is an antibiotic in the penicillin group of drugs. It fights bacteria in your body.
    Penicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, urinary tract infections, septicemia, meningitis, intra-abdominal infection, gonorrhea, syphilis, pneumonia, respiratory infections, ear, nose and throat infections, skin and soft tissue infections.
    More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.
    Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Pen and 500mg Fish Pen Forte
    Amoxicillin
    A penicillin antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.
    Amoxicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and E. coli or salmonella infection.
    More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.
    Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Mox (for children) and 500mg Fish Mox Forte (for adults).
    Ciprofloxacin, or Cipro
    Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones. It is used as a potent, broad-spectrum antibiotic to fight bacteria in the body.
    It may also be used to prevent or slow anthrax after exposure.
    Veterinarian Equivalent: 500mg Fish Flox Forte
    Cephalexin, or Keflex
    Cephalexin is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics. Keflex fights bacteria in the body.
    Keflex is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, urinary tract infections, tooth and mouth infections.
    Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Flex and 500mg Fish Flex Forte
    Doxycycline
    Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic. It fights bacteria in the body. It may be substituted in place of penicillin to treat common infections in those people who are allergic to that particular drug.
    Doxycycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as urinary tract infections, acne, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, Lyme disease or tick bite infections, anthrax infections, cholera, periodontitis (gum disease), and others.
    Exercise caution with expired Doxycycline / tetracycline and -cycline medications. There has been some documentation of liver damage and some have even labeled it toxic if used past the expiration date. However, Doxycycline provides a great alternative to penicillin medications for those who are allergic.
    Veterinarian Equivalent: 100mg Bird Biotic

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Look antibiotics aren't benign. Don't take them willie nilly.

3. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012

Agreed. I haven't needed antibiotics for about 10 years. The last time being a throat infection. Other then that, I haven't had any ailments that chewed raw garlic didn't knock out in a day.

If I get a infection or I'm injured and there's no available antibiotics. I'm screwed.

I plan to store 60/500mg tablets of Cipro. 60/500mg of Amoxicillin. 60 of penicillin.

4. Kosh75287

Kosh75287 New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    If you know what you're doing, they can be a blessing. If not, they can be a nightmare. Make SURE of what you're doing. Storing some epi-pens and steroids would also be a wise precaution.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  5. Southpaw

Southpaw Sucker MC TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Cibolo
    I have been stocking vet alternatives for years now.
    Haven't had a need to use them, of course, and not really the type to need them on any sort of regular basis, but always thought it might be something nice to have when shit goes to hell. They do still have a shelf life, albeit, probably longer then what's printed on the bottle, so it's still good to rotate your stock on a schedule you feel comfortable with.

6. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Is 50mg Tramadol (for old dogs - like me) worth mentioning?

7. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    I'm not a fan of pharmaceutical pain killers.

Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic with mood changing side effects. I'd avoid it. In a scenario where pain killers would be needed... Dried poppy pods.

Shelf life isn't a concern if you can grow your own poppies.

Other then that, anti-inflammatory meds. Naproxen. Ibuprofen has fallen out of favor due to the side effect of it causing stomach bleeding.

8. Shuutr

Shuutr Active Member

May 29, 2012
    austin
    As a pharmacist, this scares the bajeezus out of me.

9. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Of course it's scary. If the times change and things that once were common, become a rare commodity. The alternative of having nothing isn't an option.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw Sucker MC TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Cibolo
    Can you speak further about your fears?