Join TexasGunTalk

antique appraisal & consignment in the Austin area?

Discussion in 'Austin' started by mikkelibob, Mar 12, 2019.

1. mikkelibob

mikkelibob New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    What is the best way to sell antique firearms in the Austin area?

I've sold stuff face to face with TexasGunTrader and by online/common carrier to FFL with GunBroker, so I know the general procedures. But I want to sell some specific antiques. I'd like a trustworthy appraiser (Austin area) and a good place to do consignment. Is it worth driving down the Houston to go to Classic Firearms? Or maybe since I folks just list stuff online it doesn't matter so much. I've got a Colt Army 1861 (1862) w/ powder keg, a Sharps Rifle New Model 1863, and a Winchester 1885 Low Wall .22lr (pre-1920s) with vintage scope. I've got some miscellaneous WW2 pistols, but the apparent market value is low enough I'd rather keep them (Feramu jhv 41 and P38 with leather holster) even though I'm terrified they'd disintegrate if I shot modern ammo through them.

None of my family came to the US prior to 1900, and I've never been a civil war buff. I've got no real emotional attachment to them (I've got my grandfathers $100 montgomery ward .410 which actually means something to me).

2. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Cue madjohn in 3.....2.....1.....

toddnjoyce and ZX9RCAM like this.
  3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    4 posts in 9 years.

Welcome to the Forum!

4. jetcycles

jetcycles Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    4 posts in 9 years beats 4 posts in 9 hours all day long in my book. 9 years is a commitment, no matter how you slice it. I like that his list is out of the ordinary (for me), I’m intrigued and interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachrick likes this.
  5. Bithabus

Bithabus ! TGT Supporter

Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Could try Mcbrides or the gun library at Cabelas in Buda. Then list them for sale at double what they offer you.